ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC and Li-po questions for B4/T4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, that's what I thought. I will pick one of those up now, and one a little later.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You do not need a discharger for LiPo, you just re-charge them from wherever they were discharged to. The whole discharging, battery tray, cycling thing is irrelevant with LiPo. I have not converted yet but it will only be a matter of time before I do.

There is one down side that I can think of. You can currnetly only run the banded LiPo packs in cars that take a conventional stick pack or side by side pack configuration. To run in a car with saddle pack configuration requires custom built batteries. I think it won't be too long before we see the battery integrated into the chassis of the car. The batteries being so light will give more weight distribution freedoms too.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Well I see where some of you are ocming from with ahhh Lipos are fine when treated right...The problom their though is there is some very, VERY stupid people out their.

I can see a kid doing the following........

Little Billy
"Oh I need da lipo so I can rain the pwnage down on dese n00bs"

Hobby shop worker
"Well billy if your guna run Lipo batteries youll need a special charger.

Billy
"Well, ehhh I already ordered one on ebay.

Worker
"Make sure it can charge Lipo.If it doesnt it could hurt you reall bad!"

Billy
"Ok dude thanks.."

As Billy leaves the hobby shop he saying under his breath
"That n00bzor doesnt know crap!My Super Brain 959 is L337 pwnage and can charge everything!!!

LAter that day.....

Billy is in the hospitle and their about to call off the search for his testicals.

Billy
"haaaaa ,I only charged at 4 amps.ahhhh .I used a deans plug...I dont know what happend momy...ahhhh

You know that could happen to any Idiot thta thinks his shit dont stink

Ive seen lipo explose and melt into a blistering blaze.Not worth the risk.WHen it ocmes to thw point you have to charge you remote control car batteries in a blast proof safe, thats bad.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

I see where you are comming from here, in a way. These cells are certainly nothing to take lightly. But in the same token, I have seen nimh, nicd, GP3300s, Kan1050's, just about anything blow when you charge them too high.

If you are smart, and have the RIGHT kind of charger (as you said, an MRC does not cut it) you shouldn't be afraid of them blowing. Many people run li-po with no problems. You do not need a fortified bunker to charge in, nor should you be charging with the batt in your car anyways. If you are truly weary about it, putting a pyrex glass bowl upside-down on your pit table will suffice. For me, it doubbles as a car stand. But again, to be clear, is the 60/72A discharge rates enough? Or should I get the 8000?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Mazda,

I would suggest you contact MaxAmps directly and describe your application. You can also try this company http://www.pfmdistribution.com/index.htm for some guidance on what pack would be most suitable.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Agreed. People just need to read the directions and actually follow what they say.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I would hope that these new packs have a means for equalizing the individual cells like most of the Lipo packs used in today's electric planes. If one of the cells becomes unbalanced badly it can lead to a fire. This can happen with even the best chargers on the market too. Most have it setup so you can charge each of the cell in the pack seperately rebalancing the pack.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Yea that stuff scares me.Not too long ago I seen a kid chargin his 3 cell lipo off his dads car battery with some cheap charger.Im sure it was for lipo... but i didnt feel safe with all that heat from the engine and it being in his car.

Its kinda like guns....They dont kill people.

Stupid people with guns kill peaple.

Have fun, and be safe.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well said, Well said. I think the more mainstream companies promote LIPO, the bigger it will become. Imagine. a GP LiPo pack with 12000 mah.lol
Old 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who is stocking the Orion Lipo batteries, I can't seem to find any.

James
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Stormer Hobbies shows them in stock.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

speedtechrc.com
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get the 8000mah pack, it is made with better cells. Which is why its so much more expensive. Also get the taps on it, and buy a balancer. If you were running only stock/19t with the battery then the 6000 might cut it, but if you ever want to run mod with it could become a problem. Although I suppose even if you were running mod you could probably get away with something like a 17t motor, since you wont be lugging as much wieght around, and you will have increased punch. That is considering your running on a low grip track.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Well I can't really afford the 8000 right now, or I'd be buying it. I need to first actually get my charger, LVC, and a few other things first. The next thing I will be picking up is a balancer, but I will make sure to get the taps.

What kind of rate should I be charging that pack at? No more than 1C right? The Hyperion charger only goes up to 5A, so I would most likely need to buy an ICE.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

who is selling 8000 packs? i don't see Integy or Orion with them?

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.