R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   RC Car Storage-Elevated or Not? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/106789-rc-car-storage-elevated-not.html)

macnkitty2002 03-21-2006 08:00 AM

RC Car Storage-Elevated or Not?

i was reading somewhere recently that if you leave your Rc sitting on the ground for a long period of time the springs on the shocks will start to lose their "springiness". is this true? they say to store your vehicle in an elevated position to keep the springs fully uncompressed so that they don't lose their bounce. has anybody heard of this?

DOHCtor 03-21-2006 11:16 AM

I think it's more to keep the tires from getting flatspots. But I suppose spring "settling" is possible as well.

DP-buggyboy 03-21-2006 11:37 AM

Also, if it's on a shelf sitting on its wheels, it could roll off, land on something and possibly break it when a pet jumps up there and paws stuff.

(Personal experience on this one)

windellmc 03-21-2006 12:34 PM

It will cause plastic suspension arms to sag.

RCMits 03-21-2006 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
i was reading somewhere recently that if you leave your Rc sitting on the ground for a long period of time the springs on the shocks will start to lose their "springiness". is this true? they say to store your vehicle in an elevated position to keep the springs fully uncompressed so that they don't lose their bounce. has anybody heard of this?

shrug. i always just prop a spare rim under the offroad car of choice. its enough to let the arms droop, and the tires not to touch.

i dunno about the "springiness", but ive seen flat spots on tires that take awhile to reshape itself.. *shrug*

bobf24 03-21-2006 12:49 PM

most of the time even when the suspensin is at full extension, there is still tension on the springs, so even lifting it off the ground wont help that, at least most of the cars i've owned are like that, and i've owned alot,

macnkitty2002 03-21-2006 04:24 PM

i usually take the tires off of my vehicles before i store them anyways, so it's more about the shock springs for me. i guess it wouldn't hurt to put the tires underneath of the car too. thanks for the input though. :nod:

mtn bkr 03-21-2006 04:53 PM

I was told that it's best to keep the car suspended becausing storing it with the suspension compressed wears out the seals faster.

Chris Jarosz 03-21-2006 05:07 PM

for my cars i just take the tires off and the batts out.

DUB_Ben 03-21-2006 05:30 PM

I put mine on stands. Like the OFNA and Duratrax one. No flatspots in my tires yet.

arghh 03-21-2006 08:41 PM

i take out the bottom plastic spring cup where spring sit on it (so the spring is free tension) & place my car on shelf (the shelf same wide with the chassis) so the arm is free hanging.. also take out the reciever battery and all 4 tyre & spray wd40 to all rotate part especially bearing..

Artificial-I 03-21-2006 08:51 PM

Proper procedure is to suspend the car without the suspension or tires being compressed. Get car stands , they look better, you can actually work on them and cost only 10 bucks or so.

arghh 03-21-2006 09:34 PM

i also heard its better to stand it on the wall where the frontend sit on the floor.. so the oil inside exhaust will flown out.. does it..

macnkitty2002 03-22-2006 05:43 AM

i also heard its better to stand it on the wall where the frontend sit on the floor.. so the oil inside exhaust will flown out.. does it..
that would make sense, you wouldn't want the oil inside of your pipe to gum up on you. however, i think it would be blown out the next time you used it. :nod: