R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   False Peak (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/106512-false-peak.html)

LClarke 03-19-2006 04:51 PM

False Peak

I,ve recently returned to R/C racing after about a 14 year break and would like some insight into NMHI batteries. I bought a number of matched 6 cell IB 3800s from ProMatch and am very pleased with their performance. Night and day compared to what we were using in the early 90s. The question is they all false peak @ 8.54v - 8.55v. It usually takes 2 - 3 restarts to get them over this (hump). Is this normal for NMHI ? I'm using an MRC Super Brain 977 at 5amps and 30mv peak detect. I'm going by ProMatch recommendation of 120 - 130 deg. at peak and 25-30mv does the job for these packs. I get about 9.10 to 9.20v at peak. Any insight on this ?

THE_REAL_FROBOY 03-19-2006 08:18 PM

i am sorry to tell you this but it is most likely your charger. i have seen people have nothing but problems with those chargers

maxxman101 03-19-2006 09:17 PM

yeah one of the guys that i race with has one and he says its junk. he wishes he just would of bought the duratrax ice that he wanted to begin with.

mafiaracers 03-19-2006 09:43 PM

all true...you've got to take care of those packs with a "real" charger. See if you can't get the ICE (probably your cheapest bet) or an Integy charger.

MadRacer 03-21-2006 03:08 AM

That is a very high delta peak, i have my cdc set 3mv to 5mv per cell and rarely false peaks. I agree its most probably your charger especially with that sort of delta peak setting. I think the ice would be best your batteries cost to much to cook them..

TT120 03-21-2006 07:09 AM

I thought 30mv was high too. I run mine betweem 5mv and 8mv depending on the pack and haven't had a false peak yet. I also have a peak detection delay set to 3 minutes. I have an ICE charger but your "BRAIN" should be ok unless it realy is broken in some way.

AxiomJacob 03-21-2006 07:48 AM

you might want to just kick the threshold up a little as see if they dont false peak them make sure the cells dont get to hot. I would go up to 40 mv thats what i use on my pulsar 2.

sjenkins97 03-21-2006 08:44 AM

Sell the super brain and get the ice. I had the earlier super brain,good charger if you don't plan on getting to serious about racing, i invested in an ice and it is much better.

IMPACTPLAYR 03-21-2006 01:14 PM

HMMMM... seems nobody wants to say this...or maybe nobody here really knows????

You don't want your batteries to peak at a very high voltage.... the lower the voltage is when they actually peak the better the cells are.... check the temperatre when they peak at 8.5 volts if it's within range then they aren't false peaking they are actually peaked...... a good indicator that it wasn't a false peak is that it took so many restarts to get the voltage to go higher!!!! I'd bet personally that you have overcharged your cells.....

True story: I had a freind that at the time owned a Turbo35 and brand new 3300's.... I owned a Turbo30 and 3000's.... he came to the track all excited one day, proclaiming he had found the newest bestest way to charge batteries..... He was charging them while they where being cooled by a fan.... I just laughed at him and asked if he really thought he was the first guy to think of that?....... After the first heat when his batteries dumped earily (in stock) and his car was consistantly slower than mine (although his lap times where better cause he was a better driver),I finally told him that the fan was the problem..... and yet he still held on stating that his batteries had peaked out at oer 12 volts!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: