Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Can I salvage the Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor? >

Can I salvage the Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I salvage the Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Can I salvage the Novak Havoc Pro SC ESC and motor?

I've dusted off an old OFNA Jammin' SCRT10 with super lower hour on it. When I got it I purchased the Havoc Pro SC ESC combo with the non-Ballistic motor option. It's a sensored, brushless setup, as many of you know. However, the truck will only run for several minutes before everything cuts out. I know the battery and radio are good because I tested them on another truck. I've tried resetting the ESC, checked temps, etc. I've read threads that mentioned a firmware upgrade but since Novak is no more that could be tough. I just replaced another Novak ESC and motor combo because the ESC was not compatible with non-sensored motors.

I'd love some advice on troubleshooting and hopefully salvaging this motor if the issue turns out to be the ESC. The motor has about an hour of run time on it and I'd hate to chuck it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Try different sensor wire and a little oil on the bearings wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I still run my novak ballistics esc and 4.5. Replaced my bearings. Just got back into the hobby. It sat on the self for since 2013. I did not do any updates since I picked it up. So I would say dont worry about the updates at all. I have 2 Novak system a 17.5 540 and the 4.5 540 system both work just fine. Without updates.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by t0adman
I've dusted off an old OFNA Jammin' SCRT10 with super lower hour on it. When I got it I purchased the Havoc Pro SC ESC combo with the non-Ballistic motor option. It's a sensored, brushless setup, as many of you know. However, the truck will only run for several minutes before everything cuts out. I know the battery and radio are good because I tested them on another truck. I've tried resetting the ESC, checked temps, etc. I've read threads that mentioned a firmware upgrade but since Novak is no more that could be tough. I just replaced another Novak ESC and motor combo because the ESC was not compatible with non-sensored motors.

I'd love some advice on troubleshooting and hopefully salvaging this motor if the issue turns out to be the ESC. The motor has about an hour of run time on it and I'd hate to chuck it. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I use to race Novak and I went through 6 different Havoc Pro SC ESC (only bought 2) and I had all of them end up in a fire, The most recent just last year in a TLR SCTE 2.0. I had one that would run for about a couple minutes and it would start to cut out. I never heard anything about a firm ware update but after a few emails and calls to Novak tech support I would have to send it in and get a replacement. I tried different motors, wires, and sensor cables nothing worked. The coolest failure was my 2wd SC I went over a big double jump the Havoc ESC went up in flames mid jump truck looked like it something out of nitro circus. I never had much luck with that ESC many warranty claims. Switched brands and no problems ever again. So good luck
Old 02-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fantomdude

I use to race Novak and I went through 6 different Havoc Pro SC ESC (only bought 2) and I had all of them end up in a fire, The most recent just last year in a TLR SCTE 2.0. I had one that would run for about a couple minutes and it would start to cut out. I never heard anything about a firm ware update but after a few emails and calls to Novak tech support I would have to send it in and get a replacement. I tried different motors, wires, and sensor cables nothing worked. The coolest failure was my 2wd SC I went over a big double jump the Havoc ESC went up in flames mid jump truck looked like it something out of nitro circus. I never had much luck with that ESC many warranty claims. Switched brands and no problems ever again. So good luck
That sucks, but I would loved to see that. I had a lipo do that during a race once in a TC. Was cool to see but made a mess.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you tried buffing that out? 8)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow talk about bad luck what do u think was the problem and I am also wondering what happe to the rest of your car. .