Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What 4wd buggy is the best

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Default What 4wd buggy is the best

Looking to get a eletric 4wd buggy xxx4, bj4, zx-5, i want to run novak brushless 5.5. what buggy is the best and why is it the best. THANKS
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

The BJ4 Worlds is the best, it is world champion and also took TW in the hands of a different driver then the winner!

Full carbon fiber, threaded shocks, titanium turnbuckles, CNC aluminum parts, 6 CVD's, full ball bearing, even for the steering, available one way for the drivetrain and the front diff, very adjustable, solid platform, the strongest 4w electric car in the class with the new front arms!

I think that about covers it?

, Jim
Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

where can i get a bj4 ? is it easy to get parts ?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, considering you're in the US, BJ4 is a good buggy for you. Since it's made in US, I think it's easy for you to buy extra parts for it. And it's advisable if you run the 6.5 brushless, not the 5.5 because the 5.5 is too fast for most of the off-road tracks; too much speed. It might be even better if you just get the ss5800 if you're still beginning.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The BJ4 Worlds Edition really is the best one of the bunch. It's by far the most durable and is also the easiest to drive fast. The ONLY downside is kit availability (parts availability is a non-issue though) and possibly price.

If you to run 4WD and can find one, new or used, snatch it up.

All the rest tie for 2nd . They each have their ups and downs. The XXX4 G+ is awesome on a smooth blue-groove track, but it's balls on rough terrain and it also has durability issues (front hub carriers). The XX4 shines exactly where the G+ fails: on rough tracks. The ZX5 is a nice car and is laid out similarly to the original BJ4, though it's not as durable and parts availability seems to be a bit of a problem.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

OK I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have 2 zx-5 and they are the most durable 4wd buggy I have ever driven. I have had a Yok, a xxx-4 and have watched plenty of BJ4's rip arms off. I am biased of course because I like them. They are easy to work on, drive great, jump level. Everything I could want in a 4wd buggy. I am sure the BJ4 is a good buggy, obviously since it won the worlds, just locally nobody seems to have good luck with it.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anemic_SluG
OK I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have 2 zx-5 and they are the most durable 4wd buggy I have ever driven. I have had a Yok, a xxx-4 and have watched plenty of BJ4's rip arms off. I am biased of course because I like them. They are easy to work on, drive great, jump level. Everything I could want in a 4wd buggy. I am sure the BJ4 is a good buggy, obviously since it won the worlds, just locally nobody seems to have good luck with it.
Are they running the new front end? This makes a huge difference. I've only broken one arm and that was when I launched the car off the track at full speed and it sailed nose first into the driver's stand. Frankly, I was happy to get it back with only a broken arm. I expected to see a pile of carnage!

Other than that, no problems at all. Plenty of lawn darts, tube collisions, etc. But, I was running the new goods up front. I've heard that the original arms, and the first batch of HD arms, were pretty weak.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool

yes the bj4 is excellent but if you want a comepative, mid priced, durable 4wd buggy i would go strait for th yokomo mr4- bcs ive got a second hand one from a guy at my club who is yokomo sponcered and he rates t and so do i, another good thing is that the mr4 tc parts fit so mr4tc hop ups will work and if you want to race tc's then for a small amount you can get a wicked car.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

The problem with the original arms on the BJ4 is that they're B4 arms. The BJ is considerably heavier than the 2wd buggy so the same collisions that the B4 can drive away from create considerably more stress on the BJ4, hence the high number of broken front arms. The worlds kit uses the new HD front end and I've seen some of our local racers cartwheel halfway down the track with it and drive away. If you do get the BJ4, definitely get the worlds kit or if you can find an original used for a good price, pick up the worlds conversion kit from www.jconcepts.net As far as parts availablity, Jason and crew are very quick to ship the needed proprietary parts. The only thing I'd order extras of are the front shock towers and maybe a set of front arms. The rear arms are slightly modded B4 rear arms so they're readily available. Make sure you run the plastic ones though. The carbon ones are just too brittle.

Another very good car to consider is the XX4. The thing just cleans up on less than perfect tracks and with the re-release, parts availability is a non-issue.

tony
Old 03-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RcCzarOfOld
The problem with the original arms on the BJ4 is that they're B4 arms. The BJ is considerably heavier than the 2wd buggy so the same collisions that the B4 can drive away from create considerably more stress on the BJ4, hence the high number of broken front arms. The worlds kit uses the new HD front end and I've seen some of our local racers cartwheel halfway down the track with it and drive away. If you do get the BJ4, definitely get the worlds kit or if you can find an original used for a good price, pick up the worlds conversion kit from www.jconcepts.net As far as parts availablity, Jason and crew are very quick to ship the needed proprietary parts. The only thing I'd order extras of are the front shock towers and maybe a set of front arms. The rear arms are slightly modded B4 rear arms so they're readily available. Make sure you run the plastic ones though. The carbon ones are just too brittle.

Another very good car to consider is the XX4. The thing just cleans up on less than perfect tracks and with the re-release, parts availability is a non-issue.

tony

or buy ali arms but what is the point in shelling out loads of cash on it then haveing to add hop ups
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chalkstreet
or buy ali arms but what is the point in shelling out loads of cash on it then haveing to add hop ups
You don't need to "shell out loads of cash" for hop-ups. The newer kits have arms that simply do not break. These do not need to be upgraded.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Here we go again!!! These are the worst kind of threads. All the answers to this thread will be opinion based and biased. You should just read up on all the available 4wd buggies and consider what will be best for you and your style of driving. Any of the buggies can be a capable racer in the right hands. None of them will make you a winner if you cannot drive. Oh, by the way the X5 won the Nationals this year, I believe.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Relax, sport. These aren't the "worst kind of threads". The guy wanted people's opinions on why they feel a particular buggy is the best choice. So far the opinions have been calm, collected, and based on personal experience.... pretty much exactly what kahuna2793 was asking for and what I would want to hear from people if I were looking for a new kit.

If you're going to lock every thread with a biased opinion in it, you might as well just close the forums. I don't know why some people throw their arms up every time they see a pro-con thread like this one. Some happen to find such conversations interesting, so as long as it remains civil, who cares. It's not like we have a bunch of "oooh that car SUX you all wasted your bling on that one!!!1".

There's been no flaming, no stone-throwing, etc., so just let it continue to develop.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

seriously...the zx5 is nice...way smoother in the rough than a bj4...also, the zx5 shocks are the best in the business, out of personal experience.

If youre looking to bash the 4wd, dont get one. IF youre a racer, ask people at the track you want to race what they prefer. Chances are they have a setup thats works well.

A car is only as good as its setup.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can only speak for the ZX-5 and XXX-4 since I have only raced those 2 4mod cars. The ZX-5 is easier to break, but handles really well and is easy to drive on most surfaces. The XXX-4 is harder to break and works very well on very smooth tracks. It can also run an overdriven front diff which makes it VERY stable and easy to drive on bigger outdoor tracks.

In general, I would recommend XXX-4 for beginner 4-mod racers, and ZX-5 for people who can avoid hitting stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.