Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Ultima Rerelease first pictures ?. >

Kyosho Ultima Rerelease first pictures ?.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

Kyosho Ultima Rerelease first pictures ?.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

I was mainly asking Gyosho how his handled box stock on the track and if he made any changes to the kit to make it handle differently. Gyosho might not have any issues with breaking traction in the rear. I don't want to or need to change stuff on this kit. I've got all my racing cars to deal with on that subject LOL.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NitroStar
I was mainly asking Gyosho how his handled box stock on the track and if he made any changes to the kit to make it handle differently. Gyosho might not have any issues with breaking traction in the rear. I don't want to or need to change stuff on this kit. I've got all my racing cars to deal with on that subject LOL.
im pretty bad at driving. But on carpet it is spectacular! Feels like it’s on rails (notably tho, tires were brand new when I was at the carpet track and was still on the stock gearing).

On dry dirt, it can get a bit sloppy (but by the time I made it to the dirt track, rear tires are starting to go bald on the inner edges- also, I upped the gearing with a 31t pinion). Haven’t run on a well maintained dirt track, and again, I’m a bad driver- still very new to RC tracks.

On parking lot asphalt, there’s a lot of fun power sliding, and if you slow into turns you can maintain good traction to power out.

hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.
NitroStar likes this.

Last edited by Gyosho; 09-25-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:54 PM
Tech Adept

Yea I bet that carpet track was a load of fun!
Gyosho likes this.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NitroStar
Yea I bet that carpet track was a load of fun!
Add to it that it was my first time ever on a carpet track at all too ... and I, somehow magically, had the track all to myself for over an hour (well, a bunch of people were at the shop tuning and racing on the on-road track there) on a Saturday afternoon using my first ever full build that hadn't even been driven yet. You know it! I don't think I could've asked for a better experience.
NitroStar likes this.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

I got a 34T pinion on the way and plan to order that optional 51T spur as soon as I can track one down... But

I'm waffling on whether or not to go brushless and have a few questions:

1 - What brushless set ups work well? Ie. what kv or T?

2- Am I really supposed to mount the ESC fan on top of the radio plate? Seems like that would leave a gap and reduce the cooling capability of the fan.

3- How do I route the 4 wires from a sensored brushless motor to the ESC? And, are there any tips to keep the wires coming off the motor protected?
Old 11-06-2021, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Gyosho
I got a 34T pinion on the way and plan to order that optional 51T spur as soon as I can track one down... But

I'm waffling on whether or not to go brushless and have a few questions:

1 - What brushless set ups work well? Ie. what kv or T?

2- Am I really supposed to mount the ESC fan on top of the radio plate? Seems like that would leave a gap and reduce the cooling capability of the fan.

3- How do I route the 4 wires from a sensored brushless motor to the ESC? And, are there any tips to keep the wires coming off the motor protected?
1. Probably a 10.5T or 13.5T? This will require correct gearing.

2. You may not need a fan, depending on ESC specs, running conditions, gearing etc.

3. Check the manual. I think the Ultima has clips for routing the motor wires?
Old 11-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Quick Marshall
1. Probably a 10.5T or 13.5T? This will require correct gearing.

2. You may not need a fan, depending on ESC specs, running conditions, gearing etc.

3. Check the manual. I think the Ultima has clips for routing the motor wires?
I'm using the clip provided with the kit, and it fits the two wires for the brushed motor and might have space for a third, but the sensor wire, i'm not so sure...

The brushless HW ESCs I have came with fans, so I'd like to keep'em fanned... I'm definitely playing with the gearing. Was even considering getting the scorpion 41T spur and backing off on the pinion (as the 51T spur is out of stock everywhere).
Old 12-16-2021, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

FWIW - the sensor wire does not fit in the Ulitma's stock wire clip with the other motor wires. I ended up routing it from the chassis in the same place the other wires route from, then bringing it up and routing it along the plastic cage, secured with a zip tie.

I ended up going fancy and getting the Le Mans 240S ESC and 15.5T motor. Feels great so far in the couple test runs I've taken so far.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just ordered one. I plan to do as much retro build as possible, down to the brushed motor and a 2 channel "stick" radio. Lots of useful videos on Youtube on this kit.
Are there any other threads in this forum that cover the Ultima ReRelase?
Old 01-02-2022, 06:46 PM
Tech Initiate

No threads that I've been able to find. If you find any, link'em here please? Good luck on your build flatovercrest

FWIW - with the "optional" le mans 240S brushless system, it's great. I've been running the 15.5T le mans motor on 3s with the highest pinion gearing in the manual (37T) on the stock spur and it is blazing fast and pretty dang controllable. Eats tires on 3s on asphalt like nobody's business, but it's fun!
Old 01-16-2022, 02:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gyosho
No threads that I've been able to find. If you find any, link'em here please? Good luck on your build flatovercrest

FWIW - with the "optional" le mans 240S brushless system, it's great. I've been running the 15.5T le mans motor on 3s with the highest pinion gearing in the manual (37T) on the stock spur and it is blazing fast and pretty dang controllable. Eats tires on 3s on asphalt like nobody's business, but it's fun!
Thanks for the tip.
Can you recommend a good wheel and durable tire setup for bashing? I'd like to keep the stock wheels and tires for display only.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking

Originally Posted by flatovercrest
Thanks for the tip.
Can you recommend a good wheel and durable tire setup for bashing? I'd like to keep the stock wheels and tires for display only.
No. LOL.

I haven't found a non-kyosho replacement due to the 50mm sizing. I've just been buying replacement OEM kyosho wheels and tires as they get restocked at Amain... The "Soft" rears just came in and sold out in a week. Basically, just search for "Optima", "Sand Super" and "Scorpion" wheels and tires (I've had luck on Amain hobbies). When they're in stock, don't delay, cause they sell out pretty quick usually (especially when the soft compounds are in stock- those go quick-quick!).

I've been testing out the various softness tires, and also picked up a set of Yellow front wheels and yellow optima 8 hole wheels for the rear- IMHO the yellow looks great! If you're going to go with Optima wheels or tires (there's a set of studded optima tires that I know won't fit the 50mm wheel), confirm you're getting the right size because a few of the options might not fit the tires/wheels properly due to sizing.

I like the Hard rear tires simply for the fact that they wear less, but the grip is noticeably much worse than the softs in every situation I've tested. Mediums are good, but seem to not have that much better life than softs. The softs grip great, and I regret not ordering several sets of the softs when they were in stock last time. Soft > Medium > Hard. For shelf tires, I would get a new set of the Hard compound rubber though, as they are really shiny and look nice The soft rubber that came with the kit was meant to be burned up!!
Old 01-16-2022, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

scorpion 2.2 wheels from kyosho duratrax tires from tower have not ran yet just finished was my christmas present

Old 01-18-2022, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great feedback. Thanks guys.