R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   LOSI 1/8 NITRO BUGGY TALK... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/103928-losi-1-8-nitro-buggy-talk.html)

STARSCREAM 02-28-2006 05:42 PM

LOSI 1/8 NITRO BUGGY TALK...

Is anyone else as interested as I am in the new Losi buggy....when people get pics and/or info please post them here... :nod: I wonder how many protos are out there being tested if any...if there is someone out there that has any pics you are god... :D

mafiaracers 02-28-2006 07:00 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if it stayed hidden for a while. But I'm as interrested as anyone to see this thing!

Myt3rocks 02-28-2006 08:53 PM

Official Press Release:

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors about Team Losi producing a 1/8 Scale off-road buggy. Well the rumors are true….. There is a new, yet to be named, nitro buggy coming and like most Team Losi designs it is quite different from the common chassis currently offered. Instead of taking the easy road of producing one of the two predominant chassis/suspension packages as has become the norm, the Losi design team did their homework and started with a clean sheet of paper. The new Team Losi 1/8 buggy uses the same innovative thinking, sophisticated technology, hi-tech materials and cutting edge design that has separated their racing chassis from the rest. This also marks the first American designed and produced 1/8 buggy ever offered to the world. A few of the unique and user friendly features include: a thick premium aircraft alloy chassis that has been machined for lightness, more centrally mounted motor, captured suspension and king pins, fully enclosed radio box and tray that is easily removed for cleaning, sealed diff housings, and an oversize fuel tank with constant fuel delivery. Handling has been optimized with a longer adjustable wheelbase, adjustable steering and suspension geometry, zero bump steer, and a narrower chassis profile for quicker response and better balance on rough surfaces. With the tooling already in progress and pre-production units due to hit the track soon we look to have production kits available mid to late summer.

side note:
i was talking to several people from around kansas city and one of them said they had a contact with losi and they mentioned something about not using shaft drive.... belt nitro 1/8???? what ever it is i can't wait to see it.

STARSCREAM 02-28-2006 09:00 PM

already read the stuff on the Losi site but thanks anyway...

any losi drivers have anything to add at this time.....how about you Hodge???

Kody 02-28-2006 09:33 PM

Sean... Looking at a Losi... YA thats it!!! :rolleyes:

You went to the dark side... :weird: (AE)

Chris Jarosz 02-28-2006 09:52 PM

losi never goes with shaft (except LST)!!!!!! also theres rumors that AE is working on a 1/8th but i doubt it as they were bought out by TTR

runnin rc10 03-01-2006 05:54 AM

Belt drive would seem a bit almost impractical. The belts would be constantly exposed to offroad conditions...not to mention the serious HP that motors are putting out these days. I would like to see quick-release axels on a buggy...and a new motor arrangment. I think the motor on some sort of angle would be awsome. Kind of like the new Serpent 1/8 F1 car.

Chris Jarosz 03-01-2006 03:29 PM

doesnt the XB8 have and angled engine? i know that belt would be impracticle but they used it for the xxx-4 and the xx-4

STARSCREAM 03-01-2006 07:42 PM

and then losi got their buts kicked at worlds by a shaft drive 4-wheeler with the spur gear in the center(like a 1/8 buggy) so I dont think a big belt drive buggy is in anyones future..... :p

STARSCREAM 03-01-2006 11:18 PM

Just for the record...Ive always been a huge losi fan....but I dont always run there cars....not having a chassis sponsor means you have to run the car that you think gives you the best chance to win...at the moment I dont run any losi cars....mostly xrays... :sneaky:

Doughty 03-02-2006 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by seanyblaze
and then losi got their buts kicked at worlds by a shaft drive 4-wheeler with the spur gear in the center(like a 1/8 buggy) so I dont think a big belt drive buggy is in anyones future..... :p

and in 2WD EVERYONE got their butts kicked by a crazy brit using a damn twin stick radio :eek: I don't see wheel radio's in anyones future :weird:

OR... could it just be a combination of DRIVER and CAR that got the win???

anyway, back on topic, whatever Losi come out with, its going to be something new, might not be 100% revolutionary (but it just as easily might be) but something will be new, Losi are never one to join the 'clone wars' that happen quite a lot, just look at the TC market :ha:

STARSCREAM 03-02-2006 09:04 AM

I agree with you about the TC designs....they are getting very similar....but what works is what works at our current technology level....and I agree about losi, they are a sport-changing company...I cant wait to see what a 1/8 buggy with "losi" style is going to look like....and what they will call it...and I bet the body will be SIIIIICK!!!

I CANT WAIT FOR PICS!!!!! :flaming:

as much as Im loving my euro rides at this time...I still love my top USA brand :sneaky:

binaryterror 03-02-2006 10:47 AM

I'm afraid from reading the blurb its not meant to be a real racer. I mean large fuel tank? That breaks all 1/8th scale rules in itself. 125cc including all fuel line and filters.

Instead of belt they might go old school chain style?

Aaron Waldron 03-03-2006 02:51 PM

Losi as a company exists from the fact that they've been racers since day one. An over-sized fuel tank wouldn't be bad at all if it comes with an insert to bring it down to legal...that would appease the backyard bashers and the racers in one fell swoop.

Don't get discouraged..this WILL be a racer in every sense of the word. All of Losi's race-specific cars are produced in the U.S.A. and this car won't be an exception.

Will the car be belt drive? Who knows? But consider this...1/8th scale on-road cars utilize the most power of any class in R/C racing, and you can see what drivetrain those cars use!

Davidka 03-03-2006 03:25 PM

COME ON AARON!!!

SHOW US THE DANG PICTURES!!!! ;)

Just kidding, I know you can't. Belts could be good, BUT!! If it is an open system like an on road car will they survive? If it is a sealed system like a XX4 will it be easy enough to service? I'm sure Losi has some pretty good ideas up their sleeves.