Originally Posted by tree95z
I just called my local hobby shop and asked for a price on a Traxxas Rustler RTR w/ Radio and ESC with batteries and everything else to run it and I got a quote around $190... is that high?
Because I went onto Tower Hobbies website and got everything I need for $149... Just curious... Maybe tower hobbies doesn't have as good stuff or something but just seeing if anyone had any input on this...
Tower Hobbies surely sells the truck in much higher volume than your local hobby shop so they can buy, and sell, at lower prices. However, keep a couple of things in mind.
1. You are going to have to pay shipping.
2. Your LHS has to charge sales tax
3. Your LHS might be willing to come down a little to get closer to Tower's price.
4. Hopefully your LHS will provide you with some support more willingly if you buy it there. Some charge for help. If you buy it from them, it might be included.
5. You should support the LHS. It's in your best interest. What if they go out of business and now you have to order everything? In the end it could cost you more.
I bought an Associated T4 Team for my girlfriend's brother for Christmas and my LHS had the price at 185 as opposed to the 155 I could get it for online. They came down to 160 and threw in a couple practice coupons which didn't cost them anything. It was a $20 value to me. You could sat that brought the cost of the truck down to 140. You might try to make a deal like that if they have a track.
Don't sell short your LHS for 20 or 30 bucks savings. It's not like this is an everyday purchase. They will appreciate you more and it won't hurt Tower at all.
Lastly, and this might just be me, but I love my local track and I would feel bad about not buying from them just to save a few bucks.