Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 Wheelbase preferances?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Wheelbase preferances?

After a several years away from RC I figured it was time to get back into it. In years past I had ran 2wd SCT and 1/8 Truggy on my track. I had sold everything off and leveled the track. Now I built a new track and have a mix of dirt conditions all of which arent that great. I decided I wanted to get back to basics so I got a B6 and T5M. I am finding the smaller tires and shorter wheelbase to quite a challenge on loose dirt. Even with just 17.5 its easy for me to spin out if I am not being careful. I remember my 2wd SCTs being a little more forgiving. I knew the 2wd Buggy and ST were going to be a littls more of a challenge. Maybe I am just expecting too much from them.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

It’s for this reason I regard 10th scale 2wd Electric buggy the premier racing class. They are difficult in loose conditions no doubt, but rewarding when you get it right.
Here in Australia we race on loose conditions regularly, AE factory driver Ray Munday has some awesome resources to help you at least get your car right for those conditions.
Ask Ray Munday - JConcepts, Reedy, Associated Aussie Support Thread
Old 05-28-2018, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I feel there is nothing better than running on a loose dirt track. More work at keeping a track in tip top shape, but the little nuances with outdoor surfaces makes it all that more fun, and challenging. A rough, loose, bumpy track screams stadium truck (ST) to me. After a day of work, running my "4" series Associated stadium trucks are my top favorite platforms to run when I don't want to whip out a 4wd eBug. I find STs the easiest to drive because of the wider tires and shorter wheelbase when compared to a short course truck. As long as my STs can find soft Panther Step Pins; to throw dirt around the track, the platform will always be my favorite tension releaser in the hobby.

I started out with 2wd 1/10 scale buggy and had loved them greatly. I raced and bashed buggies every chance I got for many, many years. Now that I have a backyard track that pops out some super-sized rocks at any given moment, my fun with buggies has slowed down a lot. I only keep one buggy around to play (track bash) with because it's so hard to find large lugged soft tires. I run my buggy with a 17.5T motor, coupled with medium compound tires, and that has proven to be (at best) a handful during dry conditions. The buggy sure does keep me on my toes as it provides me with dirt drifting experiences. I like to think the buggy helps keeps my driving skills as best they can be, and is why I still keep the buggy around...I think.

Last edited by rustyus; 05-28-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Just to be sure how I felt about the wheelbaseI setup my old Slash with a VXL and Proline calibers. Wow, my first post was false. My Slash handled like a Red Ryder wagon with a lawn mower engine compared to the mid mount AE platforms that are only 17.5. My lap times with them just killed the Slash. They only seemed slower because I was running a 17.5 but they got around faster and handled 1000X better.