Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Brushless questions

Hi peoples, was wondering what might be a good brushless system for my xxx-4

I have another xxx-4 with a GTB 5.5 in it but wanted to go with something different perhaps. I've contemplated a LRP Sphere and Neo, but I've heard of reliability issues and that LRP's customer service sucks.

Any ideas? If I have to, I'll just buy another Novak, but I thought I might mix it up a bit.

Also was wondering what might be a good brushed system that will last a long time. I'm a noob with this stuff and I don't cut comms, and I have no idea about 12x1, 19 turn, and all the rest of the jargon. If I was to get a brushed system, suggest one that will have a long run time before brush replacement and comm cutting as well as a reasonably priced reliable ESC.

Thanks,

JR
Old 02-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Brushless Options

You could try the Hacker Brushless system. If your not in a hurry then I would try and wait for the Mamba system. Suppose to be AWESOME!

For brushed you can just use your GTB speedo that came with your brushless (Yes the GTB can do brushed and brushless) and I would probably try Orion/Peak motors Revolution V2. Usually can get about 20 or so runs out of one before it needs to be rebuilt. I would probably try either a 9, 10 or 11 single. Should be plenty of power.

Later,
Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

As far as brushless systems go stick with Novak! I've personally only used the 5800 system but have many racers at my local track running the GTB systems without any problems.
Novak's customer service is great while LRP's plain sucks(IMO).

If your going to go with a brushed motor I say go with the Novak GTX and either the V2 style motors or the Checkpoint's. Long run times between cuts and plenty of power with both.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I finally got my Novak Brushless system figured out. After having two blow up on me in 2 weeks...the magic bullet was?

An LRP Brushless System. 2 weeks and running strong.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I finally got my Novak Brushless system figured out. After having two blow up on me in 2 weeks...the magic bullet was?

An LRP Brushless System. 2 weeks and running strong.
What did you do with it? Wanna sell it?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny_rotten
Hi peoples, was wondering what might be a good brushless system for my xxx-4

I have another xxx-4 with a GTB 5.5 in it but wanted to go with something different perhaps. I've contemplated a LRP Sphere and Neo, but I've heard of reliability issues and that LRP's customer service sucks.

Any ideas? If I have to, I'll just buy another Novak, but I thought I might mix it up a bit.

Also was wondering what might be a good brushed system that will last a long time. I'm a noob with this stuff and I don't cut comms, and I have no idea about 12x1, 19 turn, and all the rest of the jargon. If I was to get a brushed system, suggest one that will have a long run time before brush replacement and comm cutting as well as a reasonably priced reliable ESC. Thanks,

JR

Being a noob I'm surprised you went with a GTB and 5.5 Velociti Motor for your XXX-4?! I guess if you have learned to drive your XXX-4 with that Novak System and have avoided crashing too often (and you want something different) then just wait for the LRP Sphere Competition to be released along with the Reedy 4-Star Motor. It's the upgraded version of the regular LRP Sphere plus the release of the fastest Brushless Motor from LRP/Reedy. This time LRP may have gotten it right by including a Capacitor with their new Competition ESC. This is something they did not do with the first Sphere which I believe caused a number of headaches for a bunch of their customers early on (including me ). Though LRP's Brushless System is very smooth and Associated does a decent job of Customer Service on behalf of LRP... it's unstable reliability is basically why I now own a bunch of Novak GTB Systems and only One LRP Brushless set-up. That plus I know that Novak and Charlie Suangka are 2nd to None in Customer Care! Now I know Wild_Cherry (who will probably post sometime soon about how well his Sphere is doing ) touts LRP's first Brushless ESC (since he never has had a problem with it in his B4).... I would instead beg to differ because of my own experiences with the Sphere and Reedy Neo-One. Anyway, that is for another discussion.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny_rotten
LRP's customer service does suck, but word is that the issues related to the Sphere and NEO failures have been worked out.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Go with another novak setup. I have both the novak and LRP systems and the GTB is by far a better speedo than the Sphere. I have found the GTB to be more reliable with better tuning options. The LRP motor is slightly faster than a novak version of the same # of turns but is far less reliable.

I have put about the same # of runs through both system and my novak has been trouble free but my LRP setop has had 2 speedo and 1 motor failures.

If you want something different wait for the sphere comp, otherwise just get another novak. The sensorless systems like a u-force/hacker combo also look like they work well but since they are not ROAR legal some tracks do not permit them.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Ordered a 6.5 GTB

The 5.5 is just insane so I figured I'd tone down a bit.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by STEALTH
Now I know Wild_Cherry (who will probably post sometime soon about how well his Sphere is doing ) touts LRP's first Brushless ESC (since he never has had a problem with it in his B4).... I would instead beg to differ because of my own experiences with the Sphere and Reedy Neo-One. Anyway, that is for another discussion.

CHime !
Yup ! So far over 300 runs , 59 races`s !
No problems, cept pulling "wheelie`s" down the staight....

Going for 600 runs ....
Try to get a brush motor to perform like that !

You will need to buy two or three of um , plus a big-O-bag of brush`s..

Love brushless > never, ever, gona go buy another brush motor again....