Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off Road Carpet Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Off Road Carpet Set Up

Newbie here, looking for some help on carpet set up. My boys and I run at an indoor carpet off road track. We're new to rc and to racing but we've been at it for a few months and I think we need to start trying to fine tune our cars to get better/faster. We have a B6 club racer and an SC5m that I built to the factory manual recommended specs. Especially with the sc5m, it seems to lean pretty hard in the corners (enough that the body rubs the front tires) so I'm thinking I need to work on shocks/suspension. But then on the straights I get outran so I'm thinking motor timing or gearing. It probably needs something in all areas! Both vehicles are running 17.5 motors, the b6 in rookie class, the sc5m in stock 17.5 blinky. I've looked through the sc5m and b6 threads and most discussion seems to be about tires, I'm looking for chassis help, whether it's specific to these cars or just off road carpet racing chassis set up theory ( what to look for, watch for, how the car should enter/exit etc). Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Carpet and astro setups require much stiffer springs for starters. Associated makes 3 sets of springs, you need to step into the hardest set. This will allow lower ride height without the car rolling so much that the bodies rub. I run 17mm ride height on my 2wd buggy, and not much higher on my 2wd SCT. With stiffer springs you'll also need thicker oil.

You also want to look into sway bars, those will help with body roll as well.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the carpet track I go to the kit setup is pretty much spot on.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
Carpet and astro setups require much stiffer springs for starters. Associated makes 3 sets of springs, you need to step into the hardest set. This will allow lower ride height without the car rolling so much that the bodies rub. I run 17mm ride height on my 2wd buggy, and not much higher on my 2wd SCT. With stiffer springs you'll also need thicker oil.

You also want to look into sway bars, those will help with body roll as well.
I agree for SC5M, I don’t use sway bars but run gray springs, 40w oil and 10mm shimes in front shocks. White springs, 35w oil and 10mm shimes in rear shocks. Also added 3mm spacers to inner rear camber links. Off throttle in corners.

Last edited by powerpig; 01-10-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by olds45512
At the carpet track I go to the kit setup is pretty much spot on.

The B6 is really close out of the box.
I run at DRP (which just hosted a Team Associated Chassis Clinic, https://www.facebook.com/TeamAssocia...64?pnref=story)

15mm Ride Height
orange springs up front (kit), Blue in the rear (kit). 37.5 wt front (kit) and 30 wt rear (kit)

Swaybars white (thinnest) front and rear. In my opinion, this made the car steer more under power in 180 corners and such.

Schumacher Cactus rear, and Cut stagger slim front. Yellow compound on both. Have had good success with the J Concepts Pin Downs in the rear also.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I don't run any Associated cars so I can't provide any specific help to these directly, but what I like to do is study some posted setup sheets from pro drivers and try to compare what each driver is doing differently from the box stock setup. I also focus on looking for setups running the same class... where a mod setup will more than likely be very different from a stock setup.

One of my favorite resources for setups is Petitrc:
Team Associated B6 & B6D Setup Sheets
Team Associated SC5M Setup Sheets

If you're not familiar with what each setup option does, then I would encourage you to read the following setup guide to help give you a better understanding of what these options do and how to address any concerns with your cars:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/u...t_Up_Guide.pdf

As for body rub, that is normal, there is a trade off between getting some rub and keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. You can certainly raise the body posts to eliminate rub, but then you risk increasing the CG and may start to traction roll. Here's an idea of where I'm getting scrub on my truck to give you an idea of what works for me: