Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tekno vs Losi vs Other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tekno vs Losi vs Other?

Hi,

I have been away from RC cars for some time. Going to start back into racing and will be entering in the 4wd SCT. From some searches on Google it looks like stuff hasn't changed too much for the best SCT trucks (Losi/Tekno). Just curious if there are any other suggestions?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

there are a few other options from more niche manufacturers, but tekno is the first choice, with losi a distant second I would say.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
there are a few other options from more niche manufacturers, but tekno is the first choice, with losi a distant second I would say.
+1

Losi still performs extremely well, but doesn't offer as many tuning options and parts tends wear a little more quickly than Tekno parts.

Tekno also offers parts from the original release too.

Some other options to consider:
InTech ERSC10
Kriostasis Rapture conversion for Caster
Mugen Conversion

If you will be racing on a small high bite track, and you're a super clean driver, then also consider the Traxxas Slash, I've seen this car do very well in the right hands, however it's definitely the least durable design on the market and can turn into a money pit aching for upgrades that might be better spent on a true 1/8 buggy based platform already listed.

Last edited by billdelong; 11-13-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rwhammond
Hi,

I have been away from RC cars for some time. Going to start back into racing and will be entering in the 4wd SCT. From some searches on Google it looks like stuff hasn't changed too much for the best SCT trucks (Losi/Tekno). Just curious if there are any other suggestions?
You will likely benefit from staying Losi/Tekno given the readily available parts support and easy access to knowledge about both platforms. I currently own three teknos (one eb48sl) and three losi trucks (one 2wd). I have won many races with both platforms and do great with both. I prefer the losi platform because it handles more like a buggy, has 22 series shocks on it (plush landings), and no wear to speak of on the chassis or drivetrain parts. Stock set up with just a few minor changes has been great on high to low bite; runs great with kyosho or associated springs. The tekno runs great with the new low frequency springs; with that said I don't run the tekno platform as much given the performance of the losi. Still, either platform is really good.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Used to have the Losi SCTE 2.0: hated building it, hated maintaining it - loved driving it. Sold it and bought a Tekno SCT 410.3: loved building it, love maintaining it - love driving it.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am in the same boat, looking between the Losi and Tekno. Seems like a lot of guys run Tekno at my local outdoor loose dirt track and do well, but the local hobby shop says get Losi the new one is really good (on their high bite clay indoor track).

The one thing that is swaying me is the Losi doesn't allow discount coupons and is $429 and the Tekno is always on sale for $369 and you could prob get closer to $300 with a coupon, so is the Losi @ $100 more worth it? And lastly is the .4 Tekno coming out and will that be worth it, or is the .3 still good?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by hord1080
...so is the Losi @ $100 more worth it?
Nope

Originally Posted by hord1080
And lastly is the .4 Tekno coming out and will that be worth it, or is the .3 still good?
Nothing wrong with running older versions.

I'm still running a SCT410.1 with the only upgrade are the low frequency springs, there are plenty of tuning options with the original release to get it on the podium for club racing.... now if you're a top driver, then I can see where having the latest release might shave a tenth off your lap times, but if you're more than a second off pace, then save your cash and go with an older release
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can't go wrong with either Losi or Tekno.... I owned both, but I sold my Losi and kept the Tekno. I like having the 17mm hubs on the Tekno, and since I have the EB and NB I can share tools/parts.... I hated that Losi used weird standard/metric tools... The diffs and some other parts are the same between the Tekno cars so its nice sharing parts imo.
billdelong likes this.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The thing I would ask the person recommending the new losi to confirm is that the new vehicle has had its part wear improved to Tekno level.

That was pretty much the only valid complaint (I don't like the standard screws personally, but to me thats minor) I can see as the vehicle does handle. But the wear the components go through made for a vehicle that felt very sloppy in the end versus what was seen on the tekno.

From a pure driving perspective, can't go wrong I feel with either one. But to me I would want something that doesn't seem to wear faster than the competition, especially if performance difference is negligible .

But if they say that was improved go with what you like.
billdelong likes this.

Last edited by Cain; 11-14-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Tekno gives you 50% off parts replacement when you send them your broken parts. A not mentioned much but at the same time a significant plus IMO for Tekno.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
They don't make a 2wd SCT though do they, only 4x4?
Old 11-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Losi does. Don't think I have seen one from Tekno.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
Losi does. Don't think I have seen one from Tekno.
I have seen people covert their sct410 into sct210. but you are correct Tekno does not supply an official 2wd sct.

When converted though I have seen them as being very capable.
bdeem likes this.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

This seemed like a hard decision for me to make as well. I was not familiar with the Tekno brand and I was also looking at Losi, Associated, and Xray. After my research I decided to purchased the Tekno EB410 today. I am looking forward to the build, and putting some laps on it. I am starting over after a 10 year absence. I hope that I can get over to the track in Antioch ( Delta )to race it. Good Luck with your decision. BTW i open the box and I have to say the chassis is incredibly sexy, But i use to race 8th scale.

good luck
Old 11-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Either way that you go you can always upgrade them..

So far the biggest difference would be the SCTE changed their chassis when they went from the 2.0 to the 3.0 but all the other upgrades are easy to do. Going from the 1st gen 410 to the 410.3 is also able to be done.

Either way you can't go wrong. I've owned both and currently have a 410.3 there definitely is more steering in the tekno..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.