• 1 Post By MaX-D
  • 1 Post By slick2500
  • 1 Post By mx836

Recommendation for a newbie 10 year old's first RTR Buggy purchase

Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Recommendation for a newbie 10 year old's first RTR Buggy purchase

So I'm getting my kiddo into RC, but the vast array of buggy options overwhelms. I'm ideally looking for a NIB RTR Christmas gift, leaning towards AE but also considering other brands. Looking for a durable 2wd or 4wd, under ~ $300 doesn't need a battery or charger combo added on. AE has so many variations and honestly can't keep up with the naming convention or differences.
Any recommendations? Links to threads or sites explaining the differences?
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

For a kid, as a first RC, I'd look at ECX, one of the brushed 2wd models. Probably a Ruckus (MT) or Torment (SC) would go over best with a kid. If you really want a buggy, they have the Boost or AMP monster buggy.

I have a Torment, purchased as brushless for a teen, now running as brushed for my 8 and 9 year old. It has had a few breaks, but overall, it is a tank, and handles decent too. Over two year, I have only upgraded the wheel hexs, axle carriers, servo, and will probably order some HR driveshafts soon. And that is 2 + years with 3 kids abusing it.

ECX comes with batteries and chargers, but they are (like most RTR chargers) pretty weak.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd throw a nod in for ecx (2wd) as well. I had a fleet of them for 4 kids and all you really have to do is make aluminum turnbuckles for them and add metal drive shafts and they'd be hard pressed to break that thing. Another cool thing the kids loved is that with a tire/wheel, body and ride height change (bumpers as well if you want 100%) they could switch back and forth between monster and sct as the torment and ruckus are literally the same truck otherwise. For the drive shafts I believe yeah racing makes some direct drop ins otherwise you can bevel the inside of the rear hub a bit more and use slash shafts. I had one as well I ran brushless 3s with when we all went out together
Old 11-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm going to be the guy that throws out the redcat, based on my own experience. The Blackout SC (brushed model, $140 or so RTR, battery, charger included) has been a good vehicle to us, my own 5 year old has had good experience with it. The drivetrain has been bullet proof, even after a brushless conversion. It's slow enough to not get into too much trouble but fast enough to have fun. It's fully modular as any hobby grade vehicle (beware cheap vehicles with esc/servo/rx combos, for instance). It's 4wd at this price point, great for kids to handle and drive in varied terrain like grass. I've had one problem, the a-arm mount broke in a too-fast crash (it was brushless at this point), but parts were cheap.

You should know that if you did go this route, parts will likely need to be ordered online - amazon or otherwise. Whereas a traxxas or something can be had at local hobby shop - whatever you buy, you'll need parts!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

for my first rc i got a 2wd stampede and it lasted a long time, heck it is still running 7 years later!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Another nod for ECX. I recently converted a 2wd torment Short Course Truck into a Ruckus monster truck. I put Proline 2.8 Masher monster truck tires on it. It is the funnest truck I have and gets driven the most out of the eight trucks that I own. I drive that thing like I stole it in the thing just never breaks. Practically indestructible.

The only thing that has broken are the u-shaped output Yokes on the differential. I upgraded the drive shafts 2 Traxxas Slash 4 x 4 and have yet to break one
Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

My bad, you said buggy. If you are ever going to go to a track to race or perhaps just practice, Kyosho has a Ready Set RTR that is fantastic.
magyarcc likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks so far. Yeah, its a buggy that is in her sights. How is the kyosho for durability? $250 rtr is a good price if the quality are steps up from an ecx or redcat... What about Traxxas bandit? Any experience there? Brushed or brushless for a kiddo?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magyarcc
Thanks so far. Yeah, its a buggy that is in her sights. How is the kyosho for durability? $250 rtr is a good price if the quality are steps up from an ecx or redcat... What about Traxxas bandit? Any experience there? Brushed or brushless for a kiddo?
Kyosho is known for their durability, local parts support for them can be a little hit or miss. After owning both a Traxxas Stampede and an Exc Ruckus I can assure the Bandit would be of much higher build quality, but as far as durability I would say they are about the same, for me it was the same parts on both trucks that would break, plastic shock parts, caps, rod ends, axles, and the front hubs/caster blocks.

I know I'm going to get some hate, some else already mentioned Redcat who uses the same oem, but this is dirt cheap and has a ton of upgrade parts for it, it is the same thing as the Redcat Tornado, and HSP XSTR Off Road Buggy Radio Car 1/10 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Electric SunFire RTR Off Road Buggy (Fire Green) RC Remote Control also available in other colors with the price ranging from $90-$130 for the same car. Not sure what that is all about.
magyarcc likes this.

Last edited by slick2500; 11-07-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A buggy would not be very good for bashing due to its low ground clearance, but the Kyosho readyset would be one of the best options for getting into 1/10 buggy track driving or racing at a low cost. Much better option than a Traxxas bandit. Kyosho has a very rich racing heritage.
magyarcc likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

a 2wd traxxas slash could be converted into a buggy( Project: \BACKSLASH - Ultimate Traxxas ) if you looking for a basher
it would be easier with a 4x4 slash as there are kits for it but from my experience lipos+brushless+4x4 slash=broken parts