Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

Starter Kit Blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Check out a Tamiya TT02B (Plasma Edge, for example) - It's a 4wd buggy, handles great, reasonably easy to build, and the kit is around $120 or so. I think it would be a good kit for a 7 yr old to both build and drive stock.

I can't post links yet but plenty of videos on youtube for plasma edge
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

For those who want a basher kit, SWORKZ just released this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM2Tw-6C58
Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's never a good sign when you put sworkz zeus into google, click shopping and get 0 results.

Maybe it's too new.

From looking at their others kits they are 550 for 1/8 scale buggy kit, 430 for 10th scale. So they aren't any cheaper than losi, tekno etc. It will be difficult to compete with companies who have that kind of parts and product support the big names have when you're charging the same price.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zinergy
It's never a good sign when you put sworkz zeus into google, click shopping and get 0 results.

Maybe it's too new.

From looking at their others kits they are 550 for 1/8 scale buggy kit, 430 for 10th scale. So they aren't any cheaper than losi, tekno etc. It will be difficult to compete with companies who have that kind of parts and product support the big names have when you're charging the same price.
I believe it is brand new so there more than likely will be a little wait until it becomes available. From watching the video, I think Sworkz sent RCnetwork the kit to give it some exposure. Considering the kit came with a lot of plastic stuff out of the box, it might help bring the cost down. Just another option for bashers who want a kit and are not hurting for cash lol
Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

But that's the thing... bashers who aren't hurting for cash will just build a tekno/losi kit truggy or the MT410. If it's the same price why would anyone pick the SWORKZ over the Tekno? The only reason would be they want something a little different. Something most people haven't even heard of.

So here's their demographic. Bashers.... with money.... who want a M/T kit...who don't mind subpar support... and don't want the Tekno or Proline. That's a niche market right there.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zinergy
But that's the thing... bashers who aren't hurting for cash will just build a tekno/losi kit truggy or the MT410. If it's the same price why would anyone pick the SWORKZ over the Tekno? The only reason would be they want something a little different. Something most people haven't even heard of.

So here's their demographic. Bashers.... with money.... who want a M/T kit...who don't mind subpar support... and don't want the Tekno or Proline. That's a niche market right there.
All I was doing was showing another option in the very limited basher kit market lol. Not saying it's better or the best. Just another option.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Vas from Aussie Rc Playground just got one of those Sworkz Zues kits.

It is so new last I checked it wasn't even on their site yet.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here’s video of the SWorks, Tekno and Outcast.

https://youtu.be/kp5PbSC45ME
EbbTide likes this.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cain
knowing the budget for sure can help as well as what it is your child is wanting to do.

For the money to have something as a kit but still looks to have good quality, the LC Racing 1/14 scale vehicles are pretty nice. We are starting an indoor mini scale track here for the winter, and these have great performance and power for little cost.

The 1/14 scale truggy as a kit that can come equipped with electronics can cost you under $200 and only need a battery and radio gear. Add in the 15mm hex extenders and you have a vehicle that can now take buggy sized rear wheels all around and is 4wd.

you can even get it as a kit and have it RTR as far as electronics to put on.

It can also be a little easier for young hands to handle as my 7 year old with her SCT410.3 it can be hard for her to carry it around, etc. Just an easier vehicle to handle.

If in the usa, the owner of gt-rc.net is a good guy, let him know Marco (Cain) sent ya.
I don't know how the build is, but otherwise, Lc racing (tacon) us a great choice.
I got an mt410 for my 6 year old to build last Christmas, tekno's plastic is pretty strong so there were many places were his hands would get worn out after just one or two screws. He got tired of building it pretty quick due to this. Otherwise I'd agree with tekno based on the quality of the finished product.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EbbTide
All I was doing was showing another option in the very limited basher kit market lol. Not saying it's better or the best. Just another option.

I'm not questioning your opinion. More so why SWORKZ has their kits priced at the same price point as the big name companies. Wasn't trying to come down on you or anything. It is nice to hear about kits besides Tekno, losi, HB etc. Just wish they would bring the price down to give incentive to the consumers to try this newer brand.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

I think the first question is what is he wanting to accomplish with the kit?

Is it for learning/fun? Does he want to get into racing? Bashing? Etc.

I think I would explore his interests and see what he plans to do after its together. As others have stated, Kits, more-so are either coming with a race focus, or play/bash focus.

Tamiya kits ARE pretty basic, BUT it gives him a chance to get his feet wet. Tamiya manuals are very easy to follow and only require basic tools. Keep his Slash for when he wants to Thrash and Bash on it. If he wants to go have fun, or just play, then the Tamiya makes sense.

If you think he might like a crawler, the ECX Barrage has been updated and recently turned into a kit, and for a simple crawler, it does really well.

Options are limited in Kit trim, usually reserved more for the Racer. Pick his brain some more, maybe browse TamiyaUSA site and see what is still being offered and available, but consider other stuff, like Drift, Crawl, onroad Etc.

MOmo
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

look into the hyper 10tt, comes 80% RTR,all he needs to is throw electronics in and down the road he can learn how to work on his diffs and what not.
billdelong likes this.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

It's looking pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJUwkLs0C4
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This will be for learning and bashing. i just finished my mt410 and I'm not ready to drop another grand into another Tekno. I'm pretty sure it'll be the Amp MT kit. He'll break it and then he gets to upgrade and fix it.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MongolPete
Oops, I forgot to mention that he is 7y/o. I have the mt410 kit. I think the Tekno sct kit might be a bit much for him at this point.
The vintage rerelease of the kyosho optima is a amazingly durable and tunable 4wd buggy that comes with gearbox and shocks pre assembled, javelin is just as nice but has a rollcage instead of boddy. They come wo electronics tho but u can pop a brushed esc and motor cheap around 15t and can get a decent base servo and radio gear cheap. Trust me when I tell u the optima has been rerelwased to today's performance standards and its a perfect set up for a younger child, most parts are aluminum to so he cnt strip the screw holes as easy as plastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.