R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iDChuck

Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Summit questions

I'm thinking about getting a summit but I like to speed bash and jump. I don't have a huge budget so the wriath/bomber/scx10s of the world are just a bit to much. Ideally I'd like to put it in low gear to crawl the flip to high and bash away. My question is if the trans in the summit is capable handling a nice brushless motor or if it will just tear it shreds?
Hadzmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

I have a Summit.... I can't keep the thing together. I put in a 2000kv motor, and on 4S...I break stuff. Just drove the damn thing today, I need to get rid or it. I spend too much time fixing.... Drove for 20 minutes total...broke rear half shaft, front center shaft, and I didn't check to see what is broken on it this last time. Don't get one. Get a Kraeton or something.
Scudman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman1977 View Post
I have a Summit.... I can't keep the thing together. I put in a 2000kv motor, and on 4S...I break stuff. Just drove the damn thing today, I need to get rid or it. I spend too much time fixing.... Drove for 20 minutes total...broke rear half shaft, front center shaft, and I didn't check to see what is broken on it this last time. Don't get one. Get a Kraeton or something.
I've been debating between a kraton/nero /or summit. just wish the kraton had locking diffs. I know the nero does but that's so much more expensive and I've heard it's hard/time consuming to work on. You're like the 3rd person to recommend the kraton so maybe I'll just suck it up and finally get it. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I love my Summit. I have a 2000kv brushless in mine and I have it tuned down to Just fast enough. I'm not running it at 100% maybe 80% The locking Diff is the weak point. I had to shim my spider gears and use Ceramic bearings in the Diff. I broke 2 diffs right after going brushless. Turned it down, and did the mentioned to the diffs and haven't broken one since. And its plenty fast. Even stock its fast enough to be a real blast. Not everything is about getting the most speed out of something. Sometimes its about balance.
greener74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have the summit with the stock erevo brushless system running on 4s. I can't comment on the stock summit setup, but I am running slayer arms and all i can tell you this setup is far robust than any other of my rc's ive driven. the slayer arms are short so there is less flex for breakage. the only issue that has come up from beating this thing up is the turnbuckles ends. I replaced them all for $4 and they stay tuned longer than the worn out threaded ends from bashing them. this setup is sweet as it jumps great and can crawl in tighter spots than the stock summit. I have been driving this thing everyday and i'm just maintaining it by adding blue thread lock and havn't been wrenching on it. The gears hold up great even with the brushless setup. I keep thinking my diffs will blow, but to my surprise, they have not! I think the big reason for that is that I'm running much smaller wheels than the stock summit.
DSC_1111 by csdslr, on FlickrDSC_1112 by csdslr, on FlickrDSC_1114 by csdslr, on FlickrDSC_1113 by csdslr, on Flickr
greener74 likes this.
iDChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Damn it. I had my mind made up on the kraton now I'm undecided again. I need to stop asking people questions cuz every time I do i change my mind of what I want. I in a perfect world I would just get a kraton and a summit but I have a budget of about $500 and I just don't want to wish I had bought one over the other. My bashing spots are the woods with a small creek and two skate parks so I have reasons to buy both. Ugh this is so Damn hard.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I personally would choose the Summit over the Kraton due to the abundance of parts available, lockable diffs, and 2 speed transmission.

Last edited by iDChuck; 03-26-2017 at 09:42 PM.
iDChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Get the summit and you will not reget it, its very fun truck..
rigelkent09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought a Summit 5 years ago, then sold it because I thought I quit RCs for good. (yeah right).
For many years I regretted selling it, so much that I had to buy another one.
Sorry for the rant but imo get a Summit. Before even upgrading it just stick with it stock and bash away. Who knows you may not even want to upgrade after. Mine is stock and I have no desire to upgrade because its good enough for me and of course I like the fact that it's practically bulletproof the way it is. I've crawled and bashed the heck out of my Summit and haven't had a single failure. Absolutely the favorite truck that I own right now.