Search

Crawler/Basher

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
Go with a wraith. Reliable. Endless parts support. Build it on A budget or build it to drive through a brick wall. Great crawler. Looks good too! Otherwise, the summit, despite being a good bit outside of the context of the discussion might be worth a look. Fun on the trails and great basher. Keep it brushed and just run it. Fyi known a wraith, scx10, emaxx,summit, scte, rc8.2e, b5m. Summit happens to be my go to all around followed by my wraith.
The Bomber is better than a Wraith in almost every way.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I haven't got to try one yet but hope to soon. My buddy loves his but he's put alot of tune time in it to make it handle. The stock shocks were really bad.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hotrod87
I haven't got to try one yet but hope to soon. My buddy loves his but he's put alot of tune time in it to make it handle. The stock shocks were really bad.
The shocks in the Bomber kit are actually pretty good. They're almost entirely aluminum.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I own two Wraiths and a Baja Rey, I've owned a Twin Hammers and a Yeti, and I've driven a SCX10 a few times. If you want something that can climb over rocks occasionally, but is mostly good for bashing...get a Summit. The remote-lockable diffs and two-speed gearbox make an enormous difference, because you can reconfigure the truck on-the-fly as you need.

The Wraith is a great truck, but in stock configuration it will traction-roll very easily, and if you unlock the diffs you will lose the ability to crawl worth a damn. The same is true of the SCX10. The Yeti has an odd weight-balance and you have to slow down a lot for sharp turns. The same is true of the Twin Hammers, it's just smaller. I haven't driven the Bomber personally, but it shares enough features with the Wraith and Yeti that I can imagine how it handles -- very good on rough terrain, but not at all optimized for general off-road use. The Baja Rey is MUCH better than the Yeti for high-speed bashing on all surfaces, but forget about crawling with it, the suspension is not designed for it.

When it comes to versatility, nothing beats the Summit -- the Arrma Nero Big Rock might be comparable, but it's a new model and doesn't have the Summit's track record yet. If you can't stand the Summit's wide stance, you can fit it with narrower A-arms from the Slayer and run Yeti XL tires to narrow it up significantly. The only must-have drivetrain upgrades for it are steel center driveshafts and a Leading Edge Machining aluminum shift puck for the transmission; in two years of ownership I've broken a single plastic axle, which cost $4 to replace. Some people say the diffs are weak, but they're not; if you keep the plastic axles as a predictable breakage point and keep the motor close to stock (it can pop wheelies with the stock motor anyway), you won't break the diffs.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:14 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
The shocks in the Bomber kit are actually pretty good. They're almost entirely aluminum.
All I know is he kept complaing about them and upgraded them to some rc4wd king shocks only in the rear so far and he said it's ten times better.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I haven't driven the Bomber personally, but it shares enough features with the Wraith and Yeti that I can imagine how it handles -- very good on rough terrain, but not at all optimized for general off-road use.
I had the same assumption that the Bomber would be similar to a Wraith. It's not. The Bomber handles much better and will actually stay on its wheels at speed. I hate my Wraith. I love my Bomber.

The Summit is a good idea though. I haven't had the chance to drive one of those, but they've always looked cool to me.

Originally Posted by hotrod87
All I know is he kept complaing about them and upgraded them to some rc4wd king shocks only in the rear so far and he said it's ten times better.
I wonder if he had the RTR. The shocks in the kit are much higher quality than the RTR shocks.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting about the Bomber. Other people I know say it will out-crawl the Wraith any day but handles speed terribly. Strange how people can have such different experiences with the same vehicle.

I know the Summit doesn't have the "badass" factor of a solid-axle truck, but its competence on pretty much all terrain (when the gearbox and diffs are properly configured) is hard to exaggerate. The only thing it truly lacks is top speed, but I'm currently running mine with 17/65 gearing instead of the stock 14/68 gearing, and the stock motor still isn't overheating. 25mph is good for pretty much anything except speed runs and crazy jumps.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:03 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
I had the same assumption that the Bomber would be similar to a Wraith. It's not. The Bomber handles much better and will actually stay on its wheels at speed. I hate my Wraith. I love my Bomber.

The Summit is a good idea though. I haven't had the chance to drive one of those, but they've always looked cool to me.

I wonder if he had the RTR. The shocks in the kit are much higher quality than the RTR shocks.
He bought the rtr version. I think they are a great machine just need mods. (Like all of them)
He aalso removed the spare tire which definitely helped.