Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Dad of the year or idiot? >

Dad of the year or idiot?

Dad of the year or idiot?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Dad of the year or idiot?

So I've been back into RC's for about a year now. Right now I'm tooling around with my Losi 5ive-T. My twin 5 year old boys love my truck, and I've been wanting to get them into the RC world but didn't know where to start. I didn't want to get them anything to fast so I wouldn't be replacing A-arms every 2 seconds. But I didn't want to shop for them at walmart either. Also I was on a pretty tight budget to start with from the wife. At first I was looking at some of the red-cats. Talked to my buddy who owns the LHS and he turned me to the Vaterra Slickrock. I really liked that rig but it was out of my initial budget, and the wife was against it. After a few days of nagging at her about it and coming up with "amazing" reasons why we need them to have a crawler she gave in. I call my buddy and he says he'll order them. WRONG! Out of stock from his supplier, so now I'm in a bind, do I order them from somewhere else and screw my buddy over (he was cutting me a sweet deal) or do I wait for them to be in stock? Finally I ask what else he can get me, he tells me he can get me a pair of Axial SCX10 Deadbolts for a little more than I would have paid for the Slickrocks. SO I did it! Now my boys will have thier first "real" RC truck to play with at my 1/5th scale races! My question is, did I over do it? Or will they be fine? They seem like really nice trucks from what I've read and seen, but we can't pick them up until thursday. Hopefully I'm not in over my head here!

What "free" mods are a must? I don't plan on doing much to these things, only repairs until they start to get the hang of it and understand how to actually use them! So, dad of the year? Or idiot?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

my son has one and he has not managed to break anything on it yet.

he drives it around the back yard more than serious rock crawling tho.. but I imagine that's all a 5yr old will be doing.

As for overkill.. you got away with it from the missus so who cares.. LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stangas
my son has one and he has not managed to break anything on it yet.

he drives it around the back yard more than serious rock crawling tho.. but I imagine that's all a 5yr old will be doing.

As for overkill.. you got away with it from the missus so who cares.. LOL
Sweet, glad to hear it can take the abuse! Yeah I can't imagine they will be doing much rock crawling, but they are like mirrors, if they see me doing it, they are going to try haha... Thanks for the comment!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Dod o the year of course.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very nice! We have a few 5 year olds that come out on the trails with us - they do very well. And keep us old guys in line.

Stock, those trucks will do just fine. I wouldn't bother with any mods per se - relocate the battery up front and call it a day. Don't even need to do that really...

I would recommend adding some stickers or maybe paint so they can tell them apart....other than that, have fun!
Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Money well spent.. If the kids enjoy it then i see no problem with it.. I started my little one out at 3 and now she has 3 rc's worth about $1200 in total. But she loves to play with them so its always money well spent
Old 07-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my son he is 3 has a rtr g6 it is bone stock and he has jumped and crashed it in every way and nothing has broken yet bent up the rear links a bit but still usable
Old 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

deadly,
I started my young fella out with a mad torque.
he now also has an scx10 and a jet boat
my middle child has an scx10 as well, and in another few months, I'll probably have something for my youngest to go with us.!

as it sits right now, I've got 5 different crawl/trail trucks, plus jet boats go kart and zcar

fun times when we get them out!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought my son a Tamiya Clodbuster when he was young, he still has it in the original shape it was in when we built it....now that he is older, he knows how to build things better than me...LOL
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Your money was well spent, I am getting a crawler for myself and both my sons too.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You have a Losi 5ive-T and you think a deadbolt is overkill? I think you did fine.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Check out howler customs electronics tray. It's budget friendly and helps out very well. Look on YouTube for Harley's budget deadbolt videos and you will get tons of info.