Search
Like Tree2Likes

3 Ways to CR01

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Whoo-hoo! Looking forward to it. Now what to do with this one...hmmm...
Old 04-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If I had a way or knew how to make my own chassis, I think my son and I would have turned it into a crawler.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Some 2-3mm aluminum, a jigsaw, a dril, and some files to clean it up is all you need.

Start out small, like with some shock towers

The try a few chassis designs

It's not too bad once you get a system down.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

And then there were 4! (Thanks neospirit for a great trade!)

This one came pretty much bone stock...I wanted to leave this one as close to stock as possible since I have three now very heavily modified. I wanted to keep the cantilevers, but the amount of play in them drives me nuts, so off they came....that's the only major change. The rest is in the details.

First thing is beefing up Tamiya's weaksauce driveshafts. Since Axial Wild Boar shafts are all but non-existent right now (due to Axial's supply chain debacle) I had to make do with the stockers. I drilled out the male end and sleeved it internally with brass for strength. Then I cut down 2 female sections, glued the male in one and cut down the other so that only a minimum amount of the male shaft was exposed. This should be much stronger than the stock spaghetti shafts. Time will tell!

Apparently the FJ kits came with the luster silver chassis. I would have never bought one as there's no performance benefit, but it does look pretty nice compared to the stock parts. Made some shock towers to match and bolted on some Vaterra shocks. Modded the pistons, limited travel by 10mm, and converted over to single spring. Super smooth!

Mounted up my 3 racing portals..they didn't work well with the aftermarket hubs before, but seem to fit much better on the stock parts. We'll see how they hold up.

Nice shiny bumper to match the chassis, and sleeved the stock tie rods as they were already bent a bit.

Weighted Tamiya rims and new Proline Hammers I've been holding on to. The tamiya wheels just clear the hubs, I've got about 1mm to spare. The challenge with the portals is to find wheels that have enough offset to clear the portals, but not too much that the axles look super wide. I just took this body off my SCX10, and they are a perfect fit for CR01 chassis...

In fact, I already have one. One is Tamiya Copper, the other is Pactra Fiery Orange...not sure which is which anymore, but they both look cool....

Side by side, you can really see how the modded one (right) increases the ground clearance. It's also far lighter! That one goes on the serious trail runs. This one will be for mild trail use and tooling around the backyard...
Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Wow you did a lot in a few days. My son has been running the Ascender quite a bit in the backyard. He really likes it. It has more steering than my G2.

I wish I have the patience to do the mods you do. However, my son and I actually make a bungee cord out of paper clip and hair tie. It came out pretty good we thought.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

^^ does look good!

If you noticed the hot mess in the background of all my pics, I finally got my workshop somewhat cleaned and organized.

I do it twice a year or so... I'm basically out of things to build/rebuild/fix, so it's just clean up time.
neospirit and soze like this.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSRC
^^ does look good!

If you noticed the hot mess in the background of all my pics, I finally got my workshop somewhat cleaned and organized.

I do it twice a year or so... I'm basically out of things to build/rebuild/fix, so it's just clean up time.
Jealous... so jealous...
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Haha, my wife is already complaining with the 7 cars that I own. Somehow I can never find time to organize my cars