Please help choose first crawler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Please help choose first crawler

Hey guys,

I'd like to build my first crawler within the next couple months but I don't know much other than they look really cool. Can you guys help me figure out a good starter kit?

Here's what little I do know.

I have no interest in a scale look. I actually like the kind of skeleton looking rigs with minimal buggy bodies I've seen.

I want a pure low speed crawler. I have a CEN Colossus if I want to go fast over rough ground.

I'm looking for 10th or 8th scale.

I think I want four wheel steering but I'm not completely sure. I have a nice 4 channel radio with mixing and stuff.

My budget is $500 or so, not including electronics.

Any suggestions on what I should look into? I like building kits but wouldn't mind picking up a nice used rig that someone has already upgraded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Used XR10 (out of production) or a Gmade R1. Really the only real crawlers out there left - most everything is scale oriented now. Maybe a Deadbolt as well. RC4WD offers a few crawlers based on Bully axles for sale on it's site, though they are super pricey.

Redcat makes a few and they are decent mechanically from what I hear, though the stock electronics leave a bit to be desired.

OR pick up any axial kit, a tube chassis of your choice and use the kit parts to build your own.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am building a Wraith. It is a 1/10 scale but it has 2.2 wheels so it is a little bit bigger. From a scale perspective, it's not a jeep, more like a tube framed station wagon, but it can easily be modified to look like a scale offroad buggy or rock crawler, King of Hammers is a good proxy.

I went the kit route and so far it has been a money pit but I am happy with all of the choices I have made.

There are a million threads on Wraith builds, if you're interested I can share a few that I thought were helpful.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks to both of you. I checked out some youtube videos on the XR10. Looks like what I have in mind. The Berg does too but I'm not real clear on whether it's still being made. I'm pretty sure I want motor on axle so that seems to knock the Gmade out of contention.

The Wraith is interesting but it doesn't seem to fit what I'm looking for very well.

Definitely looking like I should be watching for something used to pop up though.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IMO stay away from Gmade R1. While there aren't too many choices available the cheap axles and bearings are a big downfall for their products and cause quite a few failures. I bought a set of the portal axles for a MOG build and found out the hard way of both of these types of failures. I would say if you can locate a XR10 kit to go with that. They did stop making them but there is soooo much aftermarket support left that you can readily get parts just about anywhere. The Berg rigs are nice but they are starting to run a bit scarce for product support.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Both the XR10 and Berg V1 are out of production. I would not mess with any other version of Berg axle. Heard descent things out of the R1 axles, but have no experience.

The only MOA axles that you can buy new is the RC4WD Bully 2. They just sell the axles (separately), so you choose the chassis, electronics, wheels and tires. But your stated budget is way blown at that point. But, those are a very nice set of axles. They are so new that finding used will be difficult.

Don't discount a shaft driven rig too quickly. I have way more fun with my shaftys than my MOAs. Plenty capable, and I have shamed many an MOA with my shafty. Also the scalers are more capable than you think, I scoffed at them also...till I drove one...then couldn't buy one fast enough.

Honestly, MOAs are expensive and you can get similar performance (and IMO more fun) out of a shafty.

RCCrawler.com is a much better source of information and ideas.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

But to answer the thread title question...

If I was to buy a crawler to start out. It would be an SCX10...yes a scaler. You have to be very conscious of tire placement and choosing your line. AND they crawl pretty dang good. Aftermarket support is mind boggling. They are also tough as nails.

I would then progress to a shafty (sportsman) rig.
Ridgecrest/Deadbolt - Great Axles/drivetrain. Can be built into a capable rig
Losi Night Crawler - I currently comp one in sportsman. LOVE this rig! has some quirks, but I am the one holding the rig back not the other way around.

If you want to go on...MOA
Berg - I currently run Version 1 - the standard in competitive crawling. Factory parts are hard to find (but you do not want them anyways). RCCrawler vendors have everything you need for these axles.
XR10 - They seem to be falling off alittle. Probably since the only part you need from the stock axles is the bottom plastic axle half. Everything else can be purchased aftermarket. Good axles, but require work to be competitive.
RC4WD Bully 2 - I want these axles. Only production MOA, all parts you need from the manufacturer. They are still new, so there is not the aftermarket support....yet.

Way more than you wanted, but definitely go to RCCrawler and be prepared to drool.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you could also look at the exceed brand -- mad torque or max stone
its moa, 1/8th scale
nitrorcx sells em

I've got 2 mad torque's, one for me, one for my son
mines converted to 4 wheel steer and some minor tweaks to suspension, weight, etc
have to get some better tires though is my problem

electronics arent the best, but the work fine
drag brake and all

worth a look for the $$
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Phins Fan
IMO stay away from Gmade R1. While there aren't too many choices available the cheap axles and bearings are a big downfall for their products and cause quite a few failures. I bought a set of the portal axles for a MOG build and found out the hard way of both of these types of failures. I would say if you can locate a XR10 kit to go with that. They did stop making them but there is soooo much aftermarket support left that you can readily get parts just about anywhere. The Berg rigs are nice but they are starting to run a bit scarce for product support.
Thanks. I see quite a few XR 10 rigs on rccrawler with various degrees of upgrading. It does look like a good option for what I have in mind.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rockit RC
But to answer the thread title question...

If I was to buy a crawler to start out. It would be an SCX10...yes a scaler. You have to be very conscious of tire placement and choosing your line. AND they crawl pretty dang good. Aftermarket support is mind boggling. They are also tough as nails.

I would then progress to a shafty (sportsman) rig.
Ridgecrest/Deadbolt - Great Axles/drivetrain. Can be built into a capable rig
Losi Night Crawler - I currently comp one in sportsman. LOVE this rig! has some quirks, but I am the one holding the rig back not the other way around.

If you want to go on...MOA
Berg - I currently run Version 1 - the standard in competitive crawling. Factory parts are hard to find (but you do not want them anyways). RCCrawler vendors have everything you need for these axles.
XR10 - They seem to be falling off alittle. Probably since the only part you need from the stock axles is the bottom plastic axle half. Everything else can be purchased aftermarket. Good axles, but require work to be competitive.
RC4WD Bully 2 - I want these axles. Only production MOA, all parts you need from the manufacturer. They are still new, so there is not the aftermarket support....yet.

Way more than you wanted, but definitely go to RCCrawler and be prepared to drool.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I registered on rccrawler a couple days ago and then paid the $20 so I could view classified ads. The classifieds weren't quite as packed with full rigs as I hoped but there were quite a few.

I actually bought a roller Serpent 1/10 onroad car Thursday and I think I've even decided to stick that on the shelf for a while so I can build up a 1/8th truggy over the next month or so. The truggy is something I can actually race at the local track.

I definitely want a high end crawler but maybe I do need to start with something not so radical and see if I will actually keep driving it after the novelty wears off.

Who knows. Every time I see something new in RC I feel like I just have to have it.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by wileynl
you could also look at the exceed brand -- mad torque or max stone
its moa, 1/8th scale
nitrorcx sells em

I've got 2 mad torque's, one for me, one for my son
mines converted to 4 wheel steer and some minor tweaks to suspension, weight, etc
have to get some better tires though is my problem

electronics arent the best, but the work fine
drag brake and all

worth a look for the $$
I think I saw some youtube videos on that truck. Looks interesting but I think I should probably step back and figure out just what I want to do with a crawler before jumping into something.