Search

Drag brake setup and help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Drag brake setup and help.

I've started messing with the drag brake setting on my Axial Wraith to get more control out of the downhill driving. I have the Tekin Roc412 3100kv and XeRun sensored ESC. I have the drag brake set to where I like it but how can I adjust it to be more controllable?

Example, I'm driving down a easy slope on the throttle, need to slow or stop. The truck won't really slow at all due to the decline even when I start easing off the throttle them BAM I'm doing front flips from the drag brake kicking in. I'd like it to start kicking in as I'm letting off the throttle and not all at once when I hit my neutral zone. Is that possible? Am I misunderstanding the use of drag brake?

Any help would be great!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hmm..I get what you are saying. That's usually what drag brake is - a predetermined amount of brake force applied at neutral.

Interesting...now that you mention it, I know my Novak brushless applies drag brake throughout the RPM range, so if I let off a bit, it automatically slows the motor RPM appropriately keeping it in proportion to the throttle position. Basically is simulates the drag of a brushed motor. I assume that's what you are going for?

Don't think this is going to change for you... I believe what you'll have to do is set your brake a little lower so it doesn't "slam" so hard, and augment it with some manual brake control.

FWIW I'm not sold on drag brake for scalers. For example, I was out this past weekend, and ran a brushless (novak) and brushed rig, and they both ran great. I have the drag brake turned OFF on the novak, and got quickly used to using the brake to modulate the downhill speeds. I could let it freewheel when needed (which it did...and fast, not a lot of resistance there) or just use the brake and modulate it like the throttle. Had a lot more fun doing it that way to be honest, and had a lot more control.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks OSRC, I was kind of figuring that bit hoped someone maybe had a trick to fix it. Secondary question then for you. When crawling or scaling to you run forward/reverse only, or forward/brake/reverse allowing drag brake to stop you when necessary? I kind of like forward/reverse only as it helps me when I get stuck or high centered.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well, crawling is much different from scaling imho.

For my dedicated crawlers, I run high drag brake, and forward and reverse only. That way, I have quick transitions if needed, and the rig stays where I stop it. Really only works for a rock course though.

For running my scalers, as stated above, I prefer minimal drag brake, and a "double pump" reverse. Basically going from throttle to brake, and stays in brake until you return back to neutral, then you can go into reverse. Not sure if that make sense. Gets more of the scale effect imo.

I don't know what to do with my Wraith at the moment. I have it set up for scale runs at the moment. ..the super-wide axles sometimes make crawling a bit tricky. Goes anywhere though, it's almost boring.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSRC
I don't know what to do with my Wraith at the moment. I have it set up for scale runs at the moment. ..the super-wide axles sometimes make crawling a bit tricky. Goes anywhere though, it's almost boring.
you should bring it up to actives for crawltoberfest. lots of good and tough lines up there