Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
axial wraith, scx10 honcho, or losi night crawler? >

axial wraith, scx10 honcho, or losi night crawler?

axial wraith, scx10 honcho, or losi night crawler?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default axial wraith, scx10 honcho, or losi night crawler?

like the title says! which one is better, give me reasons!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdriver199
like the title says! which one is better, give me reasons!
You're trying to compare apples, oranges and bananas and expect one to be the best.

Each of those is an example of a certain type of ride. The Wraith is a rock racer, the SCX is a scaler and the Night Crawler is an entry level rock crawler.

It's almost like asking which is better a Ferrari, a Mack truck or a Jetta.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AreCee
You're trying to compare apples, oranges and bananas and expect one to be the best.

Each of those is an example of a certain type of ride. The Wraith is a rock racer, the SCX is a scaler and the Night Crawler is an entry level rock crawler.

It's almost like asking which is better a Ferrari, a Mack truck or a Jetta.
which one would you buy?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Id buy the Wraith. Ive never owned a dedicated crawler but i have owned a SCX10 and i got bored with it relatively quickly. That being said, the majority of my RCing is done racing at a track, speed and jumping is where its at for me. The Wraith really intrigues me, kind of a go anywhere do anything RC car. Id like to pick one up and drop a Tekin Pro4 3300 in it, possibly even on 3 cell lipo! Now you'd have something that can go fast and still rock crawl, even if its not a great jumper.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

alright thanks for your help
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

which one would you buy?
Well for rock crawling I would get the Losi, it's pretty good out of the box.

For bashing around maybe the Wraith. If I want something that looks and drives like a 1:1 truck I would get the SCX.

I do have 5 crawlers; an MOA Bully, an AX-10, a SCX-10, a Losi mini Pro and a Tamiya CC-01 Unimog. I use the MOA the most since I compete with it about every three to four weeks.

My club had an "Ultimate Trail Run" last September and it was mostly SCXs in various configurations. A couple had Wraiths but they did the trail runs with their SCXs because of performance preference and one of the Wraith broke an axle.

I would get the Wraith kit if you want to build a better Wraith. I think that for the money I would rather get an Associated SC 4x4 since I race those too.

The bottom line is that you should get what you want but remember that one vehicle can not perform well in all venues which is why there are specific vehicles for specific activities.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

im leaning over to the scx10, i like the wraith because it can be modified to look and be sick! but the wraith just wouldnt hook up good on the things in my back yard. i have a lot of rocks that are step and some are perfect but i also have slopes that i think the scx10 or the night crawler would definitely do better. im not about speed ive has 5 fast cars including a rustler that was insane! so i dont car about making the wraith brushless and fast. and the wraith doesnt have a lot of suspension. i love the night crawler for having the crazy suspension but i love the scale look of the other cars. the scx10 is in my list because it crawls alright and its the best scale looking car!

i still just dont know what to chose?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Go with the SCX10....

Has major parts support and can do a bit of everything....depending on how it is setup

If you don't have one yet wait for the new kits and RTR's with the upgraded WB8 drive shafts, depending on what wheelbase you want to run.

A new Honcho kit should follow soon with the same updates
Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have both and there both a blast to run.

The wraith is a really fun rig but if you get one you better have deep pockets.
Got over $1000 in mine cause I hate breaking stuff and theres things should be replaced before you even throw a battery in it. Ran it in a G6 type event a couple weeks ago and finished 4th behind another Wraith and a couple Losi comp crawlers that were allowed to run with us. so the thing can be made to crawl. Not crawl as well as a comp crawler with dig but very good for a 2.2 scaler.

My SCX10 is also a lot of fun, not as expensive to upgrade as a Wraith and parts are very easy to find. Crawls as well as a scaler should and can take most the same lines my wraith can.
If your wanting something you can build easily into a scale/realistic looking rig get the SCX10 if your wanting an all around play rig that can crawl ok and still handle some speed and dont mind spending the money on upgrades, get the Wraith.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

with the rtr wraith and scx10 can i use a 2s lipo? does the esc have a lipo cut of or no?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

with the rtr wraith and scx10 can i use a 2s lipo? does the esc have a lipo cut of or no?
Yes.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i would probably buy another honcho just because of all the things you can do with the axles and tranny. that being said i have not owned a wraith. it was pointed out in the first post that they are really not comparable rigs, it really depends on what you want to do with it
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Avoid the rtr no matter which one you choose, especially if you choose the wraith. You'll soon be replaceing most of the stuff that makes it a rtr anyway. Even if that stuff is still new you cant really get much out of it plus the kits always include some hop up from the factory. Another bonus is you get to learn how the rig goes together and how things work with it. Any rtr no matter what it is should be tore down and rebuilt. Any errors/short cuts the factory made will be found before you start running it and breaking parts.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

I own all 3 (Well, I have a Comp Crawler now, but have also had a Night Crawler). My favorite is My Honcho, The wraith a close second, and the Losi could go missing, and I probably wouldn't even notice for a month. The inefficient Worm drive axles kill it for me, the get hot, and my battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as my other crawlers. I will never buy another.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My son has the RTR scx10 ( older version since they just came out with a new version ) anyway, with a few mods, we both enjoy running this truck.
We programed the ESC with the castle field card for lipo cutoff, drag brake, etc. Had it about a year now and had tons of fun with barely any problems.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.