Wiki Posts
Search

how to "waterproof" a truck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Medic has some great videos of waterproofing on YouTube. The Jang too on his URC page.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Guess a lot of people love playing in water lol! Don't blame yall...the second kit I built was an Axial SCX-10 that I purposely built to be a submersible mud bogger.

Well after a few years of constantly cleaning/relubing/rebuilding and rechecking all my seals and waterproofing let alone destroying several tire foams from water seeping in....it honestly got pretty boring. Now the only mudding I do is with my Baja 5T on an oval and honestly with that much wet mud and dirt flinging everywhere I have come to HATE MUD!

But nowadays many ESC's and servos come waterproofed already!! But always keep in mind your bearings ARE NOT! So after any wet run clean your r/c's!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Suspended

try liquid electrical tape,
Old 05-22-2013, 04:54 AM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

what about tires?
will just plain old CA glue on a foam filled tire be enough to keep the wheels from becoming water logged?

is there a preferred tire/rim Combination? names and links to the product would be helpful.

i'd like to run my wraith in the water/mud/muck.

currently i am running the tire/rims that came in the kit.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are there good and bad types of Plasti-Dip out there? We just picked up some from Harbor Freight for an Axial.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mark786
Several things need to be done in order to prepare your vehicle for wading in water any deeper than the bottom of your axles. I'll start from the bottom up.

Some depends on your vehicle, but several things apply to all vehicles. First, extend the axle breather tubes up to a higher level. How high you go with these tubes depends on how much water you think you will see. While you are at it, many transmissions and transfer cases also have breather tubes on top. You should extend these as well.

Next, identify any electronics that might be on the floor. (ECUs are mounted under the seat in some vehicles.) You may want to either move your electronics to a higher location, or seal it in some manner. Just keep in mind that electronics generate heat and need to be cooled.

Arrr dude I think u may have the wrong fourm,funny.

Anyway my truck is a submarine, heres how u do it, I run a proline floor pan in my scx10 with 2 small waterproof electrical boxes either side of the motor ,Esc in one receiver in the other , u can get these from electrical supply stores, drill holes in the side of each box , run the wires through then seal inside and out with grey gasket compound , also bunch wires together with zip ties just outside the box to stop seperation and add more goo over it as well. I run 3s with no heat issues. Then just pack all running gear with marine grease, install hitec wp servo, I have 2 for 4ws, mount somebeadlock rims and your good to go, the only thing to replace will be your bearings every couple of months and motor brushes when u do your usual tear downs.
My truck spends a lot of time on the bottom of the creek with no dramas , the only thing u should plasti dip is your batteries, only if your using lipo.

Have fun.