Search

Summit for crawling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default Summit for crawling

Any one crawl with the Summit? Ive been wanting to get into crawling for ahwile now. Ive been bashin and tearing up the grass in my yard for quite sometime now and Ive been lookin at crawlin. It looks like it would be lots of fun and actually require the use of consintration and some skill. I think I have a trade worked out for a Summit and read its good for crawling, but its not really set up like crawlers normally are. Im not doing it competative, just around the house and the many lime stone quarries and old coal mines around my Valley.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think my dad's summit is fun for bashing and tearing stuff up in mud/water/rought terrain, but it's not a very practical crawler. He has broken more drivelines, differentials, and axles than I care to think about. I have an axial ax10, and a redcat rs10. Neither have broken anything aside from the link end on my ax10 when it fell from about 10 ft onto a rock. I would find someone that has a summit that would let you drive it around for a bit before buying it for a crawler. This is just my opinion based on driving both a crawler and a summit.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks

I actually just love monster trucks. I already have the other Traxxas big boys, so I figured the Summit would complete the collection. Im more than likely getting it in a trade that I simply cannot pass up. Ive wanted a crawler for sometime now. Ive been lookin at the Rockslide 1/10. From the looks of it on youtube and the build in pictures I see it looks like a decent machine for $150. I have been thinkin it would be a good way to test the waters befor I dump hundreds of dollars into one. But if its something I take a liking to I really like the new Axial kit I seen on RC Car Action. It looks sweet! But thanks again for your feedback
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I love mine. I got my first one when they were released then my second when they went 2.4ghz. I only ever broke 1 front shaft and that was on 6s with the 2200 mamba monster on my first one. I have yet to break anything on my new one but only run it on 4S. I also upgraded from the dual servo to a single jr9100t. FUN FUN TRUCK. Leave it stock if you plan on playing in water tho. I had mine outin the snow the other day and thoughtfor sure something would burn up cause it was caked.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, it looks like a real monster. An I will more than likely lose the stock electronics and pick up a single HT servo and a brushless set up. As for water..No Thanks! I don't run mine in any wet conditions very often. The most they see is morning dew, maybe a bit of mud. I took my Maxx out in the snow one time becouse I was withdrawling from RC. I can only post on the net, take apart and reassemble my trucks so many times. Needed my fix! But Im almost shure I'll get it. Does it have the 120 Long Travel rockers stock? I have never seen one in person. But they shure look cool in pictures and on Youtube! Cant wait!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Yea they come with the long travel. The tires are super soft also. Just noticed I hava a 1" slice in my left front sidewall. Owell glue and go!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, Super Glue is your freind! If that doesnt hold well you can JB Weld it. My buddy did that when his tire ripped almost in half and its still holding well in his VXL Rustler. I didnt think the glue would hold up to 3s and it didnt. Lasted 2 mins tops in the street.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

As far as all around trucks go they seem to be fantastic... and in some minor crawling situations I am sure it would do ok... but buying one for the sole purpose of a crawler I think you would be disappointed... independant suspension doesnt crawl the same as articulated axle and you would end up rolling in areas that a crawler wouldnt...
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree with others, if you want a truck you can bash AND crawl with...the Summit is ok but solely crawling...no. The biggest issue IMO with the Summit is they're huge and can crawl almost anything. I have a Axial SCX-10 and love it but I like the scale looks and the fact I cant look at a tree and climb it lol. It's all what a guy wants though.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yea, it would be just a basher, but I live on the woodline and near quarries and the river with alot of limestone type area's around the damns whick would be a crawlers dream. I figured I would crawl a bit, see how I like it and maybe step up to an actual crawler. Whats the best crawler RTR or close to RTR for $200. I keep lookin at the Recat RS-10. I dont mind ordering parts offline. I normally buy 80% of my parts online now, so...
And its $159! Im poor! LOL even though it isnt funny.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Whats the best crawler RTR or close to RTR for $200.
Losi Night Crawler.. hands down...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I really like my 2 Summits but as far as crawling with it I have to agree with the others. It is however a great basher.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Well like everyone said for the sole purpose of crawling naaaaaa.....
But if you feel it isnt capable for what you want it for then you can always get a crawler.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nhmade
Well like everyone said for the sole purpose of crawling naaaaaa.....
But if you feel it isnt capable for what you want it for then you can always get a crawler.
X2...........Summits a re-badged New-Bright............Get a real scaler.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default here ya go

i started with a summit for a year 2.4 , i loved it with a passion. got another and was lovin it changed to a 14,4 dewalt and one stock. and lipo w/ lvc. yeah more torque and power. so,,,, traded one for an AX10 just cause i couldn't drive 2 summits. anyway, edge chasis and losi esc 55 integy and that little thi ng ghot me started in a whole other world that has put the summit away for about 6 months and got 2 crawlers now. ax10 w/ proline tuber frame and one w/ a warthog chassis and a Ton of rocks at the house and well there i am ..
the other day i took out the summit for a little bashin and bam i broke a drive shaft . and so i fixxed that easily as i had more and then i stripped out my servo. i have come to the conclusion that crawlers are very tough and the summit is huge and heavy . worlds apart so my opinion get BOTH hahaha thats the best way grasshopper-danielson.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.