R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room

Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 1/24 crawler for 3yr old

Hey guys,

I was heavy into r/c a long time ago, but not really any more. Anyhow, I'm thinking about a pair of losi 1/24 crawlers for my son and I. I was thinking crawlers because you can turn any obstacles into a course, and I figure they don't go too fast.

Would the losi 1/24's be a good choice for something that is reasonably easy to drive and not too fast......and not too expensive?

Thanks

Scott
scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

there good lil crawlers for the house. a couple handfulls of rocks make a good course.

big thing with them is they need a couple simple mods to be fun.

move the esc and battery down on the axles, and get a set of weight disk's for the wheels.

it lowers the center of gravity, and adds weight on the wheels. all that makes it crawl 100 times better.

www.wvshowandgo.com
jbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I was thinking of doing the samething for my 3 year old son. Couple Losi micro crawlers. I think it would be a good way to teach him how to drive, learning his left and rights, and throttle control. And its slow enough where it stays close to him and not runaway.

My main concern is durability. My local Hobbytown had one out of the box so I got to check it out. The guy said it had dropped off the table (glass display) cases to the hard floor around 50 with no problems, but the last one fell just the right way and broke the rear gear box. Now it only has front wheel drive. Another concern I have is what if your child tried to roll it like he/she would do with a typical hot wheels car. The tires are grippy and the worm gears prevents the motor from turning, so I could imagine some stripped gears or broken axles by a kid just forcing the tires to turn by just forcing it to roll on the ground. I'm trying to see if the crawler has a slipper clutch to prevent the gears or axles from if you just manually turned the tire with enough force. I tried to turn the tires on the crawler, but it was not slipping and I didn't want to turn it too hard where I might break it.

Those are my thoughts. I'm still on the fence. I was also looking into the Losi 1/24th rally car, but my concern about that is it might be too low to run nicely on my carpet.
grantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantt View Post
I was thinking of doing the samething for my 3 year old son. Couple Losi micro crawlers. I think it would be a good way to teach him how to drive, learning his left and rights, and throttle control. And its slow enough where it stays close to him and not runaway.

My main concern is durability. My local Hobbytown had one out of the box so I got to check it out. The guy said it had dropped off the table (glass display) cases to the hard floor around 50 with no problems, but the last one fell just the right way and broke the rear gear box. Now it only has front wheel drive. Another concern I have is what if your child tried to roll it like he/she would do with a typical hot wheels car. The tires are grippy and the worm gears prevents the motor from turning, so I could imagine some stripped gears or broken axles by a kid just forcing the tires to turn by just forcing it to roll on the ground. I'm trying to see if the crawler has a slipper clutch to prevent the gears or axles from if you just manually turned the tire with enough force. I tried to turn the tires on the crawler, but it was not slipping and I didn't want to turn it too hard where I might break it.

Those are my thoughts. I'm still on the fence. I was also looking into the Losi 1/24th rally car, but my concern about that is it might be too low to run nicely on my carpet.

from doing a few mods the 1/24 micro crawlers are kinda fragile. weve broken shock shafts just popping them off and on.

i havent broke it from crawling, but by handling it. and yes id say if the kid grabbed it and tried to roll it like a reg toy it would gut the gear boxes.

we have the micro sct and rally, they run fine on carpet, and arent that fast, but are deff alot faster than the crawlers.

www.wvshowandgo.com
jbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go to RPP Hobby, buy a Losi Mini Desert Buggy and you will get a Losi Micro Crawler for free. That way you will have a slow little truck that you and your son can use as well as a faster little car for indoor and outdoor use.

Just my two cents.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and bought couple Losi crawlers on ebay before I read your replies. Hopefully they last at least a few months before they are turned into expensive rolling toy cars.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Jato,
Where does it say you get a crawler free when you buy a Mini Desert Buggy? I only saw this link.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/losb0204.htm

Oh, I see now. I just added it to the cart and a free promotional crawler (Bind n Drive) got added in too.

Wow. Thats not bad for $140. Thanks for the tip. You know how long the promotion goes on for?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantt View Post
Jato,
Where does it say you get a crawler free when you buy a Mini Desert Buggy? I only saw this link.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/losb0204.htm

Oh, I see now. I just added it to the cart and a free promotional crawler (Bind n Drive) got added in too.

Wow. Thats not bad for $140. Thanks for the tip. You know how long the promotion goes on for?
No idea how long it will last, but it's already been going on for a fair amount of time. They will probably stop it once all of the Mini Desert Buggies are sold.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Go to RPP Hobby, buy a Losi Mini Desert Buggy and you will get a Losi Micro Crawler for free. That way you will have a slow little truck that you and your son can use as well as a faster little car for indoor and outdoor use.

Just my two cents.
cool about the mini buggy and get a crawler for free. I hadn't read this thread for a while. Thanks
scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeane View Post
we have the micro sct and rally, they run fine on carpet, and arent that fast, but are deff alot faster than the crawlers.
I have one of the losi micro scts and its a very tough little truck. I have hopped mine up with brushless and lipo so its ALOT faster than stock and at the shop we run it into the barberchairs and jump it with it landing right on its nose and we havent broke a single part yet. I even had it out behind the shop the other day hitting a jump at full speed (about 30 mph) and it was jumping about 12 feet but crashing almost everytime. So yeah it 2 WV Barbers cant break it setup on brushless then id approve it for a 3yr old stock...LOL