Search

Novak goat $#!T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs down Novak goat problem

Just tried out my Novak goat brushless ESC. I have never been so disappointed with an RC product. I could have gotten an MMpro for just $20 more. I got the goat because it had a strong BEC, was sensored and most importantly it was advertised to have "features high-powered drag brakes" and "adjustable Active Hill/Drag Brakes that use battery power to slow the vehicle to a wheel-locking stop". Now I feel this is false advertising. The drag brakes in brushless mode have a maximum setting of 13.5%... 13.5%, come on, that will barely slow down my heavy truck on flat ground. I feel ripped off. I will seriously never buy another Novak product. Especially now that I found out they will not warranty internationally. Castle even covered the international shipping on my warranty repair.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I am better off buying worm-drive axles or picking up a brushed motor and using it in brushed mode where it at least has a 90% setting for brakes, and leave my 21.5 sensored crawling motor collecting dust. Other option is to ebay the goat and pick up another MMpro with its 100% drag brakes.

**EDIT** I have since been informed my problem is due to a lack of compatibility between the Novak ESC's and motors from other manufacturers.

Last edited by KniteWulfe; 04-16-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Yeah, I would have gotten MM Pro. It is a hit and miss on the popularity of the Goat systems
Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dont know why so many issues with Novak products these days.

I sold a GTB I ran night and out for over 2 years with no issues. I ran the Goat 18.5 setup in my crawler for a year with no issues.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BuggyKing
Dont know why so many issues with Novak products these days.

I sold a GTB I ran night and out for over 2 years with no issues. I ran the Goat 18.5 setup in my crawler for a year with no issues.
You didn't mind the lack of an effective drag brake? I actually changed my mind the day after I ordered the goat and wanted to get a second mmpro but I was too late and the order had already processed. I figured it would be ok since I didn't really plan to use more than 2s anyway, but that was before I found out about the crappy drag brake.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Regular

Now I hear that with a novak motor the drag is strong. Guess I'm out of luck since I have an lrp.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Did you ever contact Novak for customer support? I'm sure they would have helped you with the issue.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have the 2S Goat, 18.5 combo and the brakes are great. In fact, it's in my SCX 10 and with a 2S hardcase lipo strapped to it's nose the brakes were so strong if I let off the throttle too fast it wanted to endo.
That was with the brakes set at 5 which is the default setting I think.
Got it down to 2 now but thinking of going up 1 more.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Did you ever contact Novak for customer support? I'm sure they would have helped you with the issue.
I found out the problem is that I'm not using a novak motor. I ordered a ballistic 18.5 crawler motor, which will hopefully fix the problem. Sucks that it ended up costing me as much as a 3s combo by buying the
separately though.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Now that you say that I remember reading about that. you need to use one the novak motors for full drah brake. go figure
Old 04-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by KniteWulfe
I found out the problem is that I'm not using a novak motor. I ordered a ballistic 18.5 crawler motor, which will hopefully fix the problem. Sucks that it ended up costing me as much as a 3s combo by buying the
separately though.
Sometimes, it's more helpful to contact the manufacturer for assistance rather than criticizing their products on a public forum. You must have purchased a non-compatible motor; our crawler product information is specific about motor compatibility.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

+ 1 Novak Two

It pays to read before you buy.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

I did plenty of research and your compatibility list only shows novak motors. your description of the esc mentions that with ss motors it defaults to non crawler mode, it says nothing about crawler motors from other manufacturers. It's typical for a manufacturer to suggest using their other products for best results but to make your esc only compatible with your crawler motors is BS IMO. I will stick with castle creations from now on.

Last edited by KniteWulfe; 04-15-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Castle is not sensored, and novak is. That makes a big difference. Especially in crawling where you need to have smooth low power. I an many others LOVE the goat systems, it tends to be more user error issues when people dislike them, and they dont want to admit it. I think the MMpro can also be ran with sensored motors, but I like a crawler specific system. Thats why I went with the Goat 3s and 21.5t ballistic crawler specific setup.

Either way, I think you should do more research, or call a company straight up before bashing it all over the internet.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Yes I was referring to the mmpro. I did plenty of research. Like I said their site only says with the SS motors it defaults to non crawler mode. There was no user error on my part. It was a lack of information from novak. I shouldn't need to call a company and ask whether their sensored esc is compatible with another manufacturers sensored motor. So you agree with a company forcing you to use Only their motors with their ESC then?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Not exactly. I just prefer to use something that is created as a combo. It is made to work with what comes in the box to take the headaches out of things. Just by judging off your info I say it should work with everything sensored, however this isnt a perfect world so any quirks can occur. I just prefer to use something made to work with what it comes with that way I dont have to deal with the headaches and if anything does go wrong, I know exactly whos problem it is. Thats also why I use Castle combos in alot of my rigs too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.