Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OYL RACING
  • 2 Post By Darkgenerals
  • 1 Post By montemadness71

Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What is a good crawler. For beginners

My son and I want to get into crawling. What is a good crawler to get? Won't be doing it a lot, due to my son is in sports. But like to crawl at a local place or go-to a place that has trails so we can play in. Like to keep it around 300.00 Then I can upgrade it as needed. I'm not new to the RC world. I race a Losi 5ive and had number of RC stuff in the pass. So I do have my own radio, batteries, etc.. Do I buy a RTR or buy a good used one? If used, what are the stuff I look for that should be a red flag?

Thank You for your time.
montemadness71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montemadness71 View Post
My son and I want to get into crawling. What is a good crawler to get? Won't be doing it a lot, due to my son is in sports. But like to crawl at a local place or go-to a place that has trails so we can play in. Like to keep it around 300.00 Then I can upgrade it as needed. I'm not new to the RC world. I race a Losi 5ive and had number of RC stuff in the pass. So I do have my own radio, batteries, etc.. Do I buy a RTR or buy a good used one? If used, what are the stuff I look for that should be a red flag?

Thank You for your time.
I would personally would get a good secondhand axial scx10 as there is a lot of upgrades & spare parts available but I would also advise budgeting $300 - $600 each I know it is a lot but it is worth it as some of them have descent upgrades already on them saving money in the long term have a good look at what people are using near you as you might be able to have a go at one of theres & you might find something else you like
RaddConcept likes this.
OYL RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ECX Barrage
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Looking for just one or one for each of you? If you have electronic already I would look at the axial 10.2 kit not really upgrades needed.Axial AX90046 SCX10 II? 2000 Jeep® Cherokee 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD ? Kit. I started with a deadbolt which is about 300 rtr, I ended up changing a lot just to make it run good, the plastic links suck and the battery placement is not good. A few people have gotten the new redcat but I don't know much about it.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Apart of the problem with used, most guys upgrade their rigs and want top dollar for them. If you do find a used one, they go kinda quickly.

Rant:

I hate to break it to some of these guys but, just because you put 1200 dollars worth of vanquish parts doesn't mean your rig is worth 800 as a roller. Crawlers are becoming the new T-maxx, getting all blinged out.
1/4milecrazy and RaddConcept like this.
Darkgenerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYL RACING View Post
I would personally would get a good secondhand axial scx10 as there is a lot of upgrades & spare parts available but I would also advise budgeting $300 - $600 each I know it is a lot but it is worth it as some of them have descent upgrades already on them saving money in the long term have a good look at what people are using near you as you might be able to have a go at one of theres & you might find something else you like
The major mods I would do would be;
Servo- get a good quality one
Tyres- pending on what you are crawling through or on ect eg mud, water, or rocks ect
If driving at night or in low light conditions lights will help a lot
& as for the rest of it only upgrade when things break I hope that clears up what I meant to say
OYL RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Oyl has a good point. A good used scx has so much available as far as aftermarket goes. I still run 2 of them and haven't thought about changing to a 10.2 or other type of rig. Granted I have numerous upgrades that make it virtually indestructible but I have been very happy with mine...
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank You everyone for the input. I did buy the dead bolt. I already have upgrade it some what. He did have his first competition today. It did ok. but I can see where a a used already have upgrades would have its pluses....
RaddConcept likes this.
montemadness71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Tech Adept

good info...
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote