Wiki Posts
Search

F1 Racing in Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madoge
You misunderstood me. I never said running different types of F1's in the same class would not be good on carpet. What I said (meant) was that we run different types of F1s with different mods at MHOR and if we ran with you guys (or anyone formally for that matter) that we'd probably be split into different distinct classes and lose our flexibility. We mix up 2WD and AWD for example and motors are open. We are very informal with our classing and don't have much if anything in the way of rules. We run on Sundays and as I said, it's informal. Sometimes we get 6 F1 cars, usually it's 4 and we run with whatever anyone else outside our group brings too.

I've never run with you guys so I can't say what I like or don't like about your club/group. So, I'll ask. Why carpet? Why didn't you guys leave the floor concrete and run on that? What is the allure of carpet?
I am glad to see there is at least some interest in F1 here locally. We would love to invite your group down to the track for an open F1 class. Run whatever you want and have some fun...that is what matters.

We are very flexible here at the track and would love to see some F1 cars running around our road course.

We run on professional grade RC specific carpet that is designed specifically for this type of use. There are many tracks like us throughout the country. Concrete is a pretty hard surface to get traction on...it is typically well prepared and super slick. The great thing about carpet is that you have tons of traction with very little tire wear. I have been doing a lot of research on the tire situation and there are many good tires for our kind of surface.

As we get closer to the end of summer we will begin to revamp our schedule and will be racing on Sundays, so this might be a great place for your group to keep running over the winter months.

It seems like within our club we have some interest in F1 too, but we could use your help to steer us in the right direction. Many of us don't know enough about the F1 cars, and I would personally love to see some in action.

Anyway if you get a chance swing by our location and bring a car down. We run on Tuesday and Thursday nights right now, but soon will be running on Sundays as well.

Check out the website for the address or PM me and I can give you a call to work out the details...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
I am glad to see there is at least some interest in F1 here locally. We would love to invite your group down to the track for an open F1 class. Run whatever you want and have some fun...that is what matters.

We are very flexible here at the track and would love to see some F1 cars running around our road course.

We run on professional grade RC specific carpet that is designed specifically for this type of use. There are many tracks like us throughout the country. Concrete is a pretty hard surface to get traction on...it is typically well prepared and super slick. The great thing about carpet is that you have tons of traction with very little tire wear. I have been doing a lot of research on the tire situation and there are many good tires for our kind of surface.

As we get closer to the end of summer we will begin to revamp our schedule and will be racing on Sundays, so this might be a great place for your group to keep running over the winter months.

It seems like within our club we have some interest in F1 too, but we could use your help to steer us in the right direction. Many of us don't know enough about the F1 cars, and I would personally love to see some in action.

Anyway if you get a chance swing by our location and bring a car down. We run on Tuesday and Thursday nights right now, but soon will be running on Sundays as well.

Check out the website for the address or PM me and I can give you a call to work out the details...
PM'd you.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are Tamiya and HPI the only companies that make f1 cars?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Are Tamiya and HPI the only companies that make f1 cars?
3racing makes a Kit as well...for the most part Tamiya has the market cornered. The new Tamiya F104X1 seems to be the newest, but from my reading the F103 works really well.

The uf1series.com guys have some great info and have already defined some classes that might be a good start for us as well.

REALISTIC
Motor : 21.5 or silver can
ESC : non boost, stock setting... ROAR list
Tires : Rubber only, F1 scale
Body : F1 scale front & rear wing
Width : 180mm maximum
Battery : 2 cell lipo only
Drive : 2 wheel Rear only

OPEN
Motor : ANY
ESC : ANY
Tires : ANY F1 scale tire ( No sedan tires, no pan car tires )
Body : F1 scale front & rear wing
Width : 200mm maximum
Battery : ANY
Drive : 2 wheel Rear only

The tires they are gonna run in Vegas are the Rides:
#24005 H1 Front
#24007 H1 Rear

Which will probably work very well at the CORRC track.

Last edited by artwork; 08-31-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

There's also, more often than not, a Tamiya F104 clone (no body) on ebay for $80 delivered (from HK). Yes, $80 delivered. You break something and you replace it with the comparable Tamiya part. A friend has one and it's a real nice piece.

Tamiya also has the F104W which is the 104 chassis with 103 suspension and the wider tires of the F1 cars from the 90s (McLaren, Lotus, Wolf, Ferrari).

In our open class we allow the F201 (AWD) too and that the chassis I'm heavily invested in (about 90 gms heavier than a regular F103/4, etc). Very scale looking, a blast to drive and pretty competitive considering its added weight and for what it's worth, I run rubber tires.

The Ferrari, the newer Williams and the black car in the back are AWD F201s. The black and white one is a F103 RM and the Mansell FW 14 is an older F102 (shelf queen). Not pictured is the Ferrari 643 F104W, McLaren MP 4/6 and the other shelf queen, a Jordan 191. All are Tamiyas.

Last edited by Madoge; 09-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

if you guys want to come down and try it out on the carpet, get a group of guys together and come on down. we will race on tues/thurs till the 3rd week in oct.the 23rd will be our first sunday, and after that racing will be thurs/sun, with open practice on tuesday.

if you guys can get a group together, we will offer a free day for your first time out. no mony out of your pocket, just come down and try out our track. see if its something you would like to continue to do.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I would really be into this. But I do not have one. I like the idea of the "realistic" class. I know tamiya is a popular choice, but who else make one worth having? And who makes one that is best to stay away from? Is the hpi formula 10 any good? Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by icer
I would really be into this. But I do not have one. I like the idea of the "realistic" class. I know tamiya is a popular choice, but who else make one worth having? And who makes one that is best to stay away from? Is the hpi formula 10 any good? Thanks for any input you may have.
From what I've read, Tamiya is the one to have and they've been in the game the longest. It also has the best parts support (at your LHS too) and the aftermarket is overflowing with candy for the Tamiya's. But thats not to say you wouldn't have fun with the other brands (3R and HPI) though and none of them are dogs. They're all good choices in their own particular way.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like I will be spending some time on the front range this weekend and next week. I would like to get out and run my F1 on some tracks. I currently am running a a F104 with exotek chassis and have a 17.5 motor in it. Any tracks having a race this weekend or next week?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We don't have any races this weekend but our track will be open for practice on Saturday if you want to come down ,our website is corrc.org. we are an indoor carpet track so come on down if your interested well be their from noon till 7 or 8
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BTW UF1 has all kinds of great f1 info.

Check out this on tires. The 3d charts really resonate with my nerd brain.

http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/old_...re_review.html
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

I will be buying mine after IIC. Can't wait for this to start up!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Question for the F1 guys. Can or will the current rubber wheels for the rubber tires fit the "Original" Tamiya F1 car called the Road Wizzard?

I have 4+ cars in the man room storage closet with clear bodies and many sets of original deacls, and many parts, but there were not many at that time. The car ran on foam tires and not rubber.

If I can get some rubber tires to work, I might run a car as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have no idea. might be a good question to ask here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-whatever.html
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Question for the F1 guys. Can or will the current rubber wheels for the rubber tires fit the "Original" Tamiya F1 car called the Road Wizzard?

I have 4+ cars in the man room storage closet with clear bodies and many sets of original deacls, and many parts, but there were not many at that time. The car ran on foam tires and not rubber.

If I can get some rubber tires to work, I might run a car as well.
Personally, I plan on running foams. The rubber tires available for the older cars are too low of a profile scale-wise and they're ribbed but then again, there might be more scale offerings out there that I'm not aware of and I don't think it's set in stone that rubber is what will be run.

Some F1 offerings.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=362

http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/

http://rcf1blog.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-border.com/home.php?cat=801

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.