Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snowbirds 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10

FYI Mario managed to take 1st and 3rd in the concourse!!! Ficco paint strikes again. Maybe even to a catalog or add sometime in the future!!
That's awesome! i gotta see some pics!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

FYI Mario managed to take 1st and 3rd in the concourse!!! Ficco paint strikes again. Maybe even to a catalog or add sometime in the future!!
Na, he doesn't paint for other people...
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've been asked by many local racers how I liked Snowbirds, so I thought I put a quick post here.

Snowbirds was started as an Oval race and then added on road. For the on road group, it isn't as big a race as IIC, Cleveland or Carpet Nationals. I know Art would probably not go back. Since I've not talked to either Mario or Jason, I'm not sure what there take would be, but for me I'm already planning on next year. Having some fellow racers around is always good, even if it just to point you in the right dirrection on where to pick up the beer!!! But I made some new friends, and will be looking forward to catching up with them in 2010.

However, if you want some really fast oval racing, this is the place to go. For me, it is almost a perfect fit. I seem to being doing better on the Oval side rather than the on road (Big Thanks to Mr. Darkside on cars and set ups), but on raod is where I started and will probably never give up.

The best thing about this race is that with the track open for 20+ hours for 6 days, you have a chance to talk with some of the factory reps, sponsored drivers and just hang out and watch some really good racing. I was lucky that my events were really close together (heats 2 / 3 on road and 2 / 4 oval) so that I could get everything set for a sesson, make the run, marshall, then make the changes for the car for the next run. With the car set up, it was then just a matter of re-peating the process. I got to ask some questions of others with heating lipo's, cooling motors, gearing and chassis set up with enough time to actually try some of this. Heck even talked to Steve with Novak and Danny of SMC about the 1 cell 1/12 scale cars.

On the sleep side of things, I probably did not do as good of managing it as I could have. The two evenings that I went to the room at 2:30am, I should have stayed up, made my runs around 8:00am and then slept till 2:00pm and then got the oval stuff set up (note to self for next year).

For me taking the time off, it's probably the best, as we are not in full swing bidding projects for a few more weeks, so I'm already looking at going back next year. If the dates work, I may work this into two weeks and make the 24 hour Daytona race or even part of the NASCAR racing. The big stretch would be doing the Gas On Road Winter Nationals (hey most of my stuff is already here) so what's another car in the carry on??

Lastly, to Mr. Darkside for the invite, prodding and getting me to attend ..... THANKS!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lastly, to Mr. Darkside for the invite, prodding and getting me to attend ..... THANKS!!!
You're welcome

-E
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I've been asked by many local racers how I liked Snowbirds, so I thought I put a quick post here.

Snowbirds was started as an Oval race and then added on road. For the on road group, it isn't as big a race as IIC, Cleveland or Carpet Nationals. I know Art would probably not go back. Since I've not talked to either Mario or Jason, I'm not sure what there take would be, but for me I'm already planning on next year. Having some fellow racers around is always good, even if it just to point you in the right dirrection on where to pick up the beer!!! But I made some new friends, and will be looking forward to catching up with them in 2010.

However, if you want some really fast oval racing, this is the place to go. For me, it is almost a perfect fit. I seem to being doing better on the Oval side rather than the on road (Big Thanks to Mr. Darkside on cars and set ups), but on raod is where I started and will probably never give up.

The best thing about this race is that with the track open for 20+ hours for 6 days, you have a chance to talk with some of the factory reps, sponsored drivers and just hang out and watch some really good racing. I was lucky that my events were really close together (heats 2 / 3 on road and 2 / 4 oval) so that I could get everything set for a sesson, make the run, marshall, then make the changes for the car for the next run. With the car set up, it was then just a matter of re-peating the process. I got to ask some questions of others with heating lipo's, cooling motors, gearing and chassis set up with enough time to actually try some of this. Heck even talked to Steve with Novak and Danny of SMC about the 1 cell 1/12 scale cars.

On the sleep side of things, I probably did not do as good of managing it as I could have. The two evenings that I went to the room at 2:30am, I should have stayed up, made my runs around 8:00am and then slept till 2:00pm and then got the oval stuff set up (note to self for next year).

For me taking the time off, it's probably the best, as we are not in full swing bidding projects for a few more weeks, so I'm already looking at going back next year. If the dates work, I may work this into two weeks and make the 24 hour Daytona race or even part of the NASCAR racing. The big stretch would be doing the Gas On Road Winter Nationals (hey most of my stuff is already here) so what's another car in the carry on??

You know there were some moments that I had fun at this race, but honestly it is just not my kind of race. With such a large focus on the Oval side it felt like the on-road community was the red-headed step child at this race. In the future I probably would not go back. With the ever changing track conditions it just felt like you never knew what you were getting into. Practice sessions only at 5:00AM and no practice after the on-road sessions it just seemed like you were bound to get no sleep.

Some of the things I did enjoy...

Making some new freinds. It was cool to pit with the gang from CRC, or should I say the Mob. There was enough Italians in the CRC pit to make any law enforcement agency very nervous. No, but honestly Frank, Dumper, Symka, Steve, JB, and Mario were a great group. I really had a great time over there. Got to talk at length with Cryul about his new cars and about the future of CEFX. Had some great fun with crew from Black Art Bodies, they were a blast. I spent time picking Dieter's brain about motors. Got yelled at by Keven Hebert...Twice!

Learned some things about why the fast guys are so fast...and it is not all driving and setup. These guys get access to stuff I only dream about. Really brings things into perspective. If I was a professional racer I would have been disappointed with my finish at this race, but as a regular every day hobbiest I was rather pleased. It was fun to see where I stacked up, but honestly I am happy that I have a real job to go home to. I can make way more money doing my normal job spend time with my family and still have time to race for fun. Being honest with myself I will probably steer clear of big races for a while. If I can get into Reedy I might go but as for the others I think I will fight it out locally amongst all of the great local talent and enjoy the racing and friendships that I can create along the way.

To get back on topic...if you like or love Oval this race is for you. If you like either blowing up or watching someone blow up LIPOs this race is for you. If you have a wooden box that is so big it needs its own trailer, this race is for you. If you like to eat Pizza this race is for you. If you are missing teeth...you get the point!

If not and you are a road course guy save your money for IIC.

As for Disney world and Snowbirds in the same trip...rethink this going forward. It sounded great on paper but was very different in person.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM
UFD
Tech Rookie

Artwork - What's up with the comments about the oval side of the sport?

I have a little peice of advise for you from a person who has been around this sport for 25 years, if you don't have anything nice to say about a side of the sport, then just don't say anything. RC racing in Colorado has enough issues with getting new people into the sport and with comments like that about one side of the hobby is not helping.

I would remind everybody, new poeple to the hobby come on these sites all the time to see if this is something they and/or their family want to get into and reading comments like that just don't help the hobby.

Please think about the good of the sport before you post comments like that. We need to grow the sport not chase people away.

Brent Redlin
Up Front Design
Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is strange. I am an oval racer and I still have all my teeth. So I guess that shoots down that theory.
Seriously, why do some of you on road snobs seam to feel a need to insult and put down us oval guys? (If you think it's so easy, come give it a try)

Thank you Mr. Redlin, couldn't have said it better my self.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UFD
Artwork - What's up with the comments about the oval side of the sport?

I have a little peice of advise for you from a person who has been around this sport for 25 years, if you don't have anything nice to say about a side of the sport, then just don't say anything. RC racing in Colorado has enough issues with getting new people into the sport and with comments like that about one side of the hobby is not helping.

I would remind everybody, new poeple to the hobby come on these sites all the time to see if this is something they and/or their family want to get into and reading comments like that just don't help the hobby.

Please think about the good of the sport before you post comments like that. We need to grow the sport not chase people away.

Brent Redlin
Up Front Design
Brent-

You can take offense to my comments but they were not meant to be offensive. Simply the two groups are very different!

I really did not go into what I really thought of the oval group because I did not want to offend anyone. I have honestly never watched oval racing until snowbirds. The racing itself was very interesting. Some of those cars were going very fast and the precision that it takes to keep your car 1" from the ice every lap was impressive.

BUT, what people were doing in the pits was absolutely discouraging. I saw a guy heating a LIPO with a heat gun for 20 minutes, I saw two swelled LIPOs, and I saw two other LIPOs that were fresh from a LIPO fires. One of the fires melted his car, table and laptop. I actually saw people charging their LIPOs at 12 amps. I saw a group in the enduro race actually catch themselves on fire (and almost me). I saw people yelling at each other almost ready to fight. I saw drivers intentionally take out a fellow racer in the main. All of this from the oval racers.

I am sure that this happens all the time at on-road events, but honestly I have never seen it or read about it. I have been to a few big on-road races and I have seen some people pushing the limits of their equipment, but nothing like this.

After what I saw at snowbirds I don't think my joking comments are going to affect the future of R/C.

The competitiveness that I saw at this race from the oval crowd was unlike anything that I have ever seen in all of my years of racing. This is what is hurting R/C. People were just not having any fun!

You want to fix R/C then bring the fun back!

Please PM me if you want to talk some more and I will give you my phone number.

Thanks,
Art
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OvalDude99
That is strange. I am an oval racer and I still have all my teeth. So I guess that shoots down that theory.
Seriously, why do some of you on road snobs seam to feel a need to insult and put down us oval guys? (If you think it's so easy, come give it a try)

Thank you Mr. Redlin, couldn't have said it better my self.
Obviously that comment was meant to be humorous...

People in general hold some type of prejudice about things they don't really understand or are not interested in. Kinda like your comments about the on-road snobs. Funny how that works!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
UFD
Tech Rookie

Art - No offense taken here. I have been around racing wayyy to long to let comments like that get under my skin. I am just concerned when people make comments like that about one side of the sport, it just does not do the sport any good and does not make it FUN.

Sounds like you have a lot of dislike for the oval group in your comment, "I really did not go into what I really thought of the oval group because I did not want to offend anyone", that's dissappointing to hear. Why the dislike? Something bad happen there, somebody make you mad? Let me know and I will try and correct that. I get concerned when people talk like that because we need all rc racers to support all sides of rc. If you don't care for one side of the sport so be it, but don't talk about that side of the sport like that, there is nothing to gain from that other than maybe making yourself feel good. You mentioned bring the fun back, how is blasting one side making it fun?

Now, for the comments about the things you did not like about oval group at the Snowbirds, well that is called racing, and I can tell you that happens in all sides of rc and I mean all sides, and mainly comes out at the big races where it does the most damage. To give you an example, at a big on road race about a month or so ago, one of the races showed up with a standard home oven in the back of his truck to heat up battery's, ya a flippen oven. They had batteries so hot that the cases melted, shorted the bats out and well, the rest was not pretty.

My point is, this does not just happen in oval. There are so many things that happen at weekly and national races in other parts of the country that never makes it to Colorado you probably would not hear of all the stuff people are doing. If fact, I would say about half of these sort of things start in on-road and the other half start in oval, and then when you put the two together, well, you get what you seen at the Birds. I heard of two packs in the on-road side at the Birds that went boom as well and one pack that got hot enough to melt the case, so it was not just in oval at that race as you stated.

Beleive it or not, I am with you on this one. I hate when guys do these sort of things in a toy car hobby, it is un-called for in every way. As I have always said, leave it to the race side of rc to screw things up, lol. You leave a rule open and racers will push things to the limit.

The Birds made a big mistake at that race for not implementing the rules from the BRL series on the oval side at least. In the BRL series, they have a battery temp and battery voltage rule and that is checked in tech before the race. If you are over on either, you are out of that heat, period, no second chances. They made this rule because guys were doing this and they did not leave it up to the racers to control, they took the ball and made the rule and it works perfect and the same for everybody. They also should have mandated that all packs be charged in lipo bags at the Birds. That is a must with those batterys.

Anyway, please just consider your comments before posting, that is all I am asking. Do what is best for the sport as a whole. I have a huge vested interest in keeping rc clean and fun for everybody, from the sport side to the full blown race side. RC is what brings home the paycheck for me and one of my goals is to get everybody to support all forms of rc, we have to in order to make this work. And as I tell everybody, these are just toy cars, lol.

OvalDude99 - Same this on the on-road snob comments. Please be cautious on posts, everybody needs to work together to make this sport work.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well Brent, I will agree with you and apologize for my comment. Many years back when I lived out there and raced with the oval bunch, I got fed up with all the comments coming from the on road and especially the off road guys."How hard can oval be, you only have to turn one direction" kind of comments were herd on a regular basis.
In reading several posts on different message boards, oval bashing on road and on road bashing oval, I felt I needed to comment, but in hindsight, should have worded it differently.
As you stated, we veterans need to work together to promote this hobby and statements like mine will do more damage than good.

Again, I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone, that was not my intent.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
UFD
Tech Rookie

OvalDude99 - Right on buddy, thanks.

You are very correct, there has been a lot of that back in the day and there is still a lot of that today and I truely think that is one reason we don't get a lot of new racers in Colorado. We have to set a good example for every potential person looking at joining our sport, especially when there are kids involved, as we know, they are the future of our sport.

I really appreciate the apology, that is exactly the kind of things that will help our hobby grow from all sides and keep the fun in it.

When you going to come back and race with us? We miss you down here. Have you been racing a lot up there?

I wish I could get out to race more, Losi has me so busy I can't even take a breath but that is a good thing.

Take care and let me know if I you need anything from us down here to help with racing up there.

Talk to you later.

Brent
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Holy CHRIST!!

I'm surprised (and glad) that nobody got injured!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

kyle, if you look at the first person in the background, you will see that it might be someone you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.