R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Tech Master

Working in the U.S, this seems like a good place to ask (remotely RC related lol)....

Hi guys, sometime in 2007 I'm looking at travelling overseas (with the U.S as an option) to work for at least a year but two at the most.

In 2007 I would be aged 40 and from what I've been able to find so far there appears to be ages limits depending on the type of work (I would be what I beleive is called in the U.S a Manny) and I appear to be outside all of them .

Are there any circumstances that would allow an old fellow like me to get a 1-2 year general work visa?

And yes I can make it RC related, you just know I'd want to check out some RC tracks while I'm there.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 12-09-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Default Do you mean

Manny? A nanny is a live in babysitter(child care worker), usually(but not always) a young female.

In the US it is technically illegal to discriminate against someone because they are over 40.

Also why think about going anywhere but the USA. America is a happening place and everyone loves Australian/NZ accents.

Just take a map of the United States take some scissors and cut out the upper right 1/4 and pick a place in the remaining part of the map.

I don't know anything about work visas, but in parts of the country there are signifcant numbers of people who work who have no visas at all.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Tech Regular

i guess it depends on what type of work your looking for.
automotive industry is going through some changes. Ford and GM have announced layoffs for the coming year. Nissan is closing its California Headquarters and moving to Tennessee.
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Tech Master

"Manny? A nanny is a live in babysitter(child care worker), usually(but not always) a young female."

That's the one, well ok it will be if I pass the interview to get on the course, (that's next week).

It is often used as the first step towards being a kindergarten/early childhood teacher here in N.Z (also considering) but I'd want to take a break before embarking on another 3 years of study.

"In the US it is technically illegal to discriminate against someone because they are over 40."

I thought so but the info I've found so far seems to have age limits for work visas.

"Also why think about going anywhere but the USA. America is a happening place and everyone loves Australian/NZ accents."

Awww thanks

"Just take a map of the United States take some scissors and cut out the upper right 1/4 and pick a place in the remaining part of the map."

"I don't know anything about work visas, but in parts of the country there are signifcant numbers of people who work who have no visas at all."

I can't just swim across you know.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just come to Cali.
You'll never leave.
Look on the bright side, you can always sell "Maps to the Stars Homes" on Sunset Boulevard!
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Basically, no.

The only way is if you speak a language or come from a small home town as someone looking for a manny. They then need to sponsor you.

Pay is limited by the visa, and duration is typically only 1 year.

Otherwise you need a job before you come here, and the company needs to sponsor you (i.e. pay).

The best way is an H visa, but there are only 60,000 given out per year. They go quick. Fee is about $1700. You really need to do premium processing and get it in before the deadline for that year....costs an extra $3500.

Again, you need a job before you come.....unless you are skilled in one particular area, chances are very very small....sorry
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

First take a trip to India for a few weeks and then you can get hired by Microsoft!! They pay you a little less than if you were an American, OH wait, they dont seem to hire Americans anymore, so your pay should be good!

Fred, Sammamish Washington, where all the new Microsoft employees live.
10 mins from MS in Redmond Wa.
Edit: used to be 10 min, now its 45+ mins.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
jas
Tech Apprentice

I'm contemplating moving back to the US (from southeast Asia). If decided, will probably head to the silicon valley first to find a programming job, heard tech job prospects are picking up there despite all the outsourcing. Don't know if that's true though. Consider the high cost of living in the bay area, hopefully will still have money left for r/c and food!
Btw, where are the r/c tracks around there?
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
Tech Champion

First of all, you need American base company's sponsorship letter given to you so you can bring the letter to US embassy in New Zealand. Second, the US embassy people will screen out you like hell for the sake of homeland security and make sure your profile is qualified to get working permit visa.

Must be tough hehehe.......
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:06 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Jas, Rams Club in San Jose runs 1/8th, 10th sedan/235/outlaw. Nice track.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #11
Tech Master

So let me get this right.....

If I got a letter of intent saying "he has a job to come to" from a family saying they will pay me then I'd have to take that to the U.S embassy in N.Z.

And if I passed their vetting then I'd only get a visa for a year anyway?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I beleive the letter wont do any good....if it was that easy there would be thousands queing up to work in the US with a letter!! lol.

The basic idea of a work visa is "could an american do this job?"

In this case the only way that answer can be yes, is if you can offer something no available american feasibly could. For example, you are from the same village in the andes as a family here and they want their children to learn their dialect.....etc etc etc

Good luck, but to be honest it aint easy......I work for a mulitinational company and when its renewal time, i have to re-apply, go for an interview with my family to my home embassy, there is no guarentee of renewal.

People I work with do it, but they are requiring a particular european language that is not at all prevalent here, so they get nannies......

Good luck, because you are about to embark upon a journey into one of the most unhelpful and complicated collection of people and procedues known to man, the INS, sorry the BSIC, no sorry the USCIS...LOL

I dont think many americans realize just how sh*t this system is....
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I could sell you my greencard, I don't have use for it anymore...
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #14
Tech Master

Post What is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
I could sell you my greencard, I don't have use for it anymore...
a "Green Card." If it's like a work permit surely it would be something you can't sell?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

A so called green card is permanent residency and work permit, which cost me a lot of grey hair, approx. 50,000 bucks and 5 years..

And that was a joke, you are right it can't be sold.

But you know that those crazy Americans are giving ~ 50,000 green cards away every year in the so called green card lottery..
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote