R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default Seller's Etiquette?

Does such a thing exist these days? I've seen numerous bad deals lately and thought I'd open a dialogue on this topic. Let's hear what you have to say.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anytime I sell anything over the net, I will send photos of the package being sent along with a copy or PDF of the receipt. It keeps things with-in trust, communication, and comfort. That's just the way I like to do business over the net. By keeping your buyers aware of whats coming and proof of receipt, it just makes the transaction smoother.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Opening a can of worms with this one. My 2 cents is that I too have seen way too many deals gone bad through RCTech compared to to pretty much any other hobby or enthusiast website out there that has a "For Sale/Trader" section. And for some reason which I still cannot figure out, the RC hobby seems to have a lot of scammers. However, I also notice a large portion of buyers on RCTech who expect their transactions to go as smoothly as they would if they were purchasing from an actual business, and expect their purchases to be protected somehow. When things don't go as they hoped they would, they explode all over the boards here, calling out people for being actual scammers, or just tire kickers and those they think don't respond to their PMs soon enough or won't negotiate terms with them. They call on the mods to do something about it or attempt to organize angry mobs to hunt down scammers. Not only has the amount of scammers gotten out of hand, but also the expectations of the buyers and sellers.

I agree and support what some of the mods and others have said, that the only way to solve this problem is to shut down and remove the "For Sale/Trader" section altogether. If you want to buy and sell used, then go to Ebay or Craigslist.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

I agree 100% I think removing the for sale thread will keep others from getting scammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenczy36 View Post
Opening a can of worms with this one. My 2 cents is that I too have seen way too many deals gone bad through RCTech compared to to pretty much any other hobby or enthusiast website out there that has a "For Sale/Trader" section. And for some reason which I still cannot figure out, the RC hobby seems to have a lot of scammers. However, I also notice a large portion of buyers on RCTech who expect their transactions to go as smoothly as they would if they were purchasing from an actual business, and expect their purchases to be protected somehow. When things don't go as they hoped they would, they explode all over the boards here, calling out people for being actual scammers, or just tire kickers and those they think don't respond to their PMs soon enough or won't negotiate terms with them. They call on the mods to do something about it or attempt to organize angry mobs to hunt down scammers. Not only has the amount of scammers gotten out of hand, but also the expectations of the buyers and sellers.

I agree and support what some of the mods and others have said, that the only way to solve this problem is to shut down and remove the "For Sale/Trader" section altogether. If you want to buy and sell used, then go to Ebay or Craigslist.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I agree with shutting it down.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Tech Master

No issues on my end selling or buying.

Then again, I use common sense and simple logic to weed out who I don't want to deal with
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If rctech yanked the for sale/trade forum, I wouldn't start selling my RC stuff elsewhere. I'd just go back to hoarding it. Don't ask me why, but this is the only place where I feel comfortable selling my stuff.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

I realize that this topic is likely to cause a stir, but thought it worthwhile none the less. I've seen far too many posts in the feedback section on deals that went bad and only recently I had this happen to me. Most of my deals go very smoothly, but some don't.

I have to wonder what some sellers are thinking when they post items for sale. As a seller, I am always prepared to package and ship items I post for sale immediately. In almost all cases I ship same day or at worst next day and as a buyer I expect the same from sellers.

My last purchase here was last Thursday morning and the seller told me that the item would be shipped later that day. It's now Monday and, after several PM messages and a complaint through PayPal, I find that the seller has yet to ship. Why do sellers think this is acceptable?

I haven't experienced the same issues on R/C airplane forums and perhaps it's because the folks there are older.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

On a side note, I bet the reason why the mods are hesitant to yank that forum is because of the traffic it brings to this site.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have had pretty good luck here but it seems lately everybody wants you to knock at least $30 off the price of anything you put up for sale. Maybe i should just build that into the price to start...

Honestly it's easier to put stuff on ebay, the price usually goes up instead of down.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
On a side note, I bet the reason why the mods are hesitant to yank that forum is because of the traffic it brings to this site.
Not really there is alot of traffic in the electric and nitro onroad threads yes for sale forum brings traffic but at the cost of constant complainers and scammers , so is it worth keeping it if is going to bring scammers here to take advantage of honest members? It's very easy to go to a library make an account and download a picture of a rc car of the internet and put it for sale as if it was mine.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I have had pretty good luck here but it seems lately everybody wants you to knock at least $30 off the price of anything you put up for sale. Maybe i should just build that into the price to start...

Honestly it's easier to put stuff on ebay, the price usually goes up instead of down.
That's correct go to eBay then you would be protected alot better than here.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When i am looking for stuff in the F/S areas it is insane how many threads are there or bumped each day. Compared to that, I would imagine the actual number of problem is extremely low. The traffic in the section however means there are an exponential amount of issues.

What I like about this site is that there seem to be a fair amount of deals and people who know what is a good deal and not and sometimes say something or try and help. The sheer volume also keeps one informed about an expected price for buying and selling things.
MikeInCtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Quote:
yea, the for sale / trade forums has tons more views per day than any others.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
If rctech yanked the for sale/trade forum, I wouldn't start selling my RC stuff elsewhere. I'd just go back to hoarding it. Don't ask me why, but this is the only place where I feel comfortable selling my stuff.
I have a ton of stuff that I need to get rid of but I am too lazy to be bothered taking pictures and listing it
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote