R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,204
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default Seller's Etiquette?

Does such a thing exist these days? I've seen numerous bad deals lately and thought I'd open a dialogue on this topic. Let's hear what you have to say.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,312
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Anytime I sell anything over the net, I will send photos of the package being sent along with a copy or PDF of the receipt. It keeps things with-in trust, communication, and comfort. That's just the way I like to do business over the net. By keeping your buyers aware of whats coming and proof of receipt, it just makes the transaction smoother.
__________________
http://nitrokb.netne.net/profiles/RogerSerafin.html
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 246
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Opening a can of worms with this one. My 2 cents is that I too have seen way too many deals gone bad through RCTech compared to to pretty much any other hobby or enthusiast website out there that has a "For Sale/Trader" section. And for some reason which I still cannot figure out, the RC hobby seems to have a lot of scammers. However, I also notice a large portion of buyers on RCTech who expect their transactions to go as smoothly as they would if they were purchasing from an actual business, and expect their purchases to be protected somehow. When things don't go as they hoped they would, they explode all over the boards here, calling out people for being actual scammers, or just tire kickers and those they think don't respond to their PMs soon enough or won't negotiate terms with them. They call on the mods to do something about it or attempt to organize angry mobs to hunt down scammers. Not only has the amount of scammers gotten out of hand, but also the expectations of the buyers and sellers.

I agree and support what some of the mods and others have said, that the only way to solve this problem is to shut down and remove the "For Sale/Trader" section altogether. If you want to buy and sell used, then go to Ebay or Craigslist.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,962
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

I agree 100% I think removing the for sale thread will keep others from getting scammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenczy36 View Post
Opening a can of worms with this one. My 2 cents is that I too have seen way too many deals gone bad through RCTech compared to to pretty much any other hobby or enthusiast website out there that has a "For Sale/Trader" section. And for some reason which I still cannot figure out, the RC hobby seems to have a lot of scammers. However, I also notice a large portion of buyers on RCTech who expect their transactions to go as smoothly as they would if they were purchasing from an actual business, and expect their purchases to be protected somehow. When things don't go as they hoped they would, they explode all over the boards here, calling out people for being actual scammers, or just tire kickers and those they think don't respond to their PMs soon enough or won't negotiate terms with them. They call on the mods to do something about it or attempt to organize angry mobs to hunt down scammers. Not only has the amount of scammers gotten out of hand, but also the expectations of the buyers and sellers.

I agree and support what some of the mods and others have said, that the only way to solve this problem is to shut down and remove the "For Sale/Trader" section altogether. If you want to buy and sell used, then go to Ebay or Craigslist.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Slo_E4's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 1,130
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

I agree with shutting it down.
__________________
.B.Wilson
Slo_E4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
Longhair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,701
Default

No issues on my end selling or buying.

Then again, I use common sense and simple logic to weed out who I don't want to deal with
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Leodis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,058
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

If rctech yanked the for sale/trade forum, I wouldn't start selling my RC stuff elsewhere. I'd just go back to hoarding it. Don't ask me why, but this is the only place where I feel comfortable selling my stuff.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 6,204
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

I realize that this topic is likely to cause a stir, but thought it worthwhile none the less. I've seen far too many posts in the feedback section on deals that went bad and only recently I had this happen to me. Most of my deals go very smoothly, but some don't.

I have to wonder what some sellers are thinking when they post items for sale. As a seller, I am always prepared to package and ship items I post for sale immediately. In almost all cases I ship same day or at worst next day and as a buyer I expect the same from sellers.

My last purchase here was last Thursday morning and the seller told me that the item would be shipped later that day. It's now Monday and, after several PM messages and a complaint through PayPal, I find that the seller has yet to ship. Why do sellers think this is acceptable?

I haven't experienced the same issues on R/C airplane forums and perhaps it's because the folks there are older.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Leodis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,058
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

On a side note, I bet the reason why the mods are hesitant to yank that forum is because of the traffic it brings to this site.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,565
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I have had pretty good luck here but it seems lately everybody wants you to knock at least $30 off the price of anything you put up for sale. Maybe i should just build that into the price to start...

Honestly it's easier to put stuff on ebay, the price usually goes up instead of down.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,962
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
On a side note, I bet the reason why the mods are hesitant to yank that forum is because of the traffic it brings to this site.
Not really there is alot of traffic in the electric and nitro onroad threads yes for sale forum brings traffic but at the cost of constant complainers and scammers , so is it worth keeping it if is going to bring scammers here to take advantage of honest members? It's very easy to go to a library make an account and download a picture of a rc car of the internet and put it for sale as if it was mine.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,962
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I have had pretty good luck here but it seems lately everybody wants you to knock at least $30 off the price of anything you put up for sale. Maybe i should just build that into the price to start...

Honestly it's easier to put stuff on ebay, the price usually goes up instead of down.
That's correct go to eBay then you would be protected alot better than here.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 402
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

When i am looking for stuff in the F/S areas it is insane how many threads are there or bumped each day. Compared to that, I would imagine the actual number of problem is extremely low. The traffic in the section however means there are an exponential amount of issues.

What I like about this site is that there seem to be a fair amount of deals and people who know what is a good deal and not and sometimes say something or try and help. The sheer volume also keeps one informed about an expected price for buying and selling things.
MikeInCtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Tech Master
 
SirKarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tacos Under Cacti, Searing Our Neighborhood
Posts: 1,138
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
On a side note, I bet the reason why the mods are hesitant to yank that forum is because of the traffic it brings to this site.
yea, the for sale / trade forums has tons more views per day than any others.
__________________
<><>Paint by Dunn Graphics (RacerX1920)<><>
https://www.facebook.com/DunnGraphics1
SirKarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Longhair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
If rctech yanked the for sale/trade forum, I wouldn't start selling my RC stuff elsewhere. I'd just go back to hoarding it. Don't ask me why, but this is the only place where I feel comfortable selling my stuff.
I have a ton of stuff that I need to get rid of but I am too lazy to be bothered taking pictures and listing it
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huge Ofna Hyper 10SC/ Castle SCT/ Parts Lot sale Injun_Josh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 24 08-29-2011 02:34 PM
Hitec X4 Multicharger-1 weekend old Dlewis4 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 33 03-15-2011 11:51 AM
does anyone know how to contact jJuun R cleblanc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 63 10-23-2008 02:39 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:23 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net