R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Not Enough Time for RC Rant

Sorry, feeling a little frustrated this evening, thought I would rant. I'm sitting here at work waiting on other people so I can finish my stuff before going home instead of leaving an hour ago like I had planned for the track to get my Wednesday night racing on.

There are plenty of area tracks and racing programs to accommodate my racing fix, yet it has been 2 months since I have been able to break away to race. My wife is currently unemployed and feeling down and out because she is having trouble finding another job and sitting around the house. So when I want to take a weekend day to go racing lately, she would rather I do something with her instead of leaving her home by herself again while I go spend 8 hours at the track (racing isn't her thing). I can understand that to some extent so I try to keep my racing to the weeknights. But even so, work has downsized because of the economy, yet the workload hasn't, so I am finding myself busier than usual and not able to always break away at normal hours. Lately, everytime I am planning to head over to a weeknight race, I gotta work late.

So here I have an F1 car, a touring car, a VTA, and a short course truck, and feel like I am getting nowhere near my money's worth out of them. What was once a hobby that brought me peace, happiness, and contentment, is now frustrating me because I never seem to have any time to committ to it so it all feels like a waste. Seriously considering selling everything while it is still worth something. Stay tuned for a possible selling out thread in the classifieds.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidR

While I feel your pain...

You're in a lot better position than alot of guys right now. The economy has really put a hurtin' on this whole hobby/industry.

The majority of the rants I've seen lately are about not having the job and having to sell their R/C gear to pay the bills.

Just remember... As bad as it seems now... It could be worse.

Here's to hopin' you find time to race soon.

-David
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Yea, the job system seems to be making a very slow, but none the less, a turnaround. Just remember, no matter how bad you have it...there is always someone somewhere that has it worse than you; being curb stomped or something And its good you have your job, wife, and toys still.

TWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome to my real hobby...
I fix my sons cars and trucks...
I Marshall/race direct/track maintain/and cater (don't ask) for he and his buddies to come race on the track I spend lots of time maintaining (after I sent lots of time building) in the backyard...
I order and install upgraded parts on my collection of buggies and trucks...
I spend plenty of late night time on the RC forums...
I give advice and solve problems for other RC'rs...

But I haven't been to either of the 2 tracks in my area or even ran more than a shakedown/alignment lap on my backyard track in a month at least...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah. I totally realize I have little to complain about in light of many others who have it much worse. I guess I am fizzled out a little. My wife is seriously depressed about not being able to find a job, and I've been the one always trying to be bright and cheery, telling her the exact same thing...others are in the same situation right now and many are worse off than her.
Ferenczy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ya at least your racing. Some of us don't have the budget to race anymore nor the time either.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hang in there bud, it will get better. My wife is in the same boat, almost, her part time 2 day a week gig after getting laid off has put a big damper on things for us as well. At one point we were really worried I would loose my job as well. Best of luck.....

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default Sick of this hobby, wanting to vent a lil

Im new to this forum and dont really know how to work this too much, but I saw the word rant and it fits my feelings right about now. So Im a new rc 1/8 scale nitro buggy racer, been doing this for 4 months now. I quickly rose through the ranks, winning numberous races fairly quick. Now I cant race in sportsman, and can only race expert. REALLY???????? In this class and on this track, if you wreck one time, you are done for the night. I wrecked 1 time in the main, more than half a lap on me just like that. Sick Sick Sick after all this race prep for nothing. I truly feel like throwing in the towel and getting all the money I can for my equipment. Just getting ready to go pick up my new Werks b6 Pro off layaway to beat it all. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but Im not sure...sorry to post out of place, just had to find somewhere quick to start typing....UUURRRGHHH
onefastlap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastlap101 View Post
Im new to this forum and dont really know how to work this too much, but I saw the word rant and it fits my feelings right about now. So Im a new rc 1/8 scale nitro buggy racer, been doing this for 4 months now. I quickly rose through the ranks, winning numberous races fairly quick. Now I cant race in sportsman, and can only race expert. REALLY???????? In this class and on this track, if you wreck one time, you are done for the night. I wrecked 1 time in the main, more than half a lap on me just like that. Sick Sick Sick after all this race prep for nothing. I truly feel like throwing in the towel and getting all the money I can for my equipment. Just getting ready to go pick up my new Werks b6 Pro off layaway to beat it all. Maybe tomorrow will be better, but Im not sure...sorry to post out of place, just had to find somewhere quick to start typing....UUURRRGHHH
So... Is this a fun hobby for you?
I'm a competitive person by nature, so I understand the spirit of your rant, but it sounds like you might need to take a hard look at your equipment and repeat the phrase "it's a toy car" to yourself a few times.

If you are not having fun, don't prolong your own misery.

I love to win...but at the end of the day, even losing is fun. If I am having a miserable night and am stinking up the track, I might pack up my stuff and be a Marshall for the evening...but usually even of I'm not running well, Im still having a blast. If you aren't...that's on you, and it's up to you to change that.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Tech Champion

If you can't stand loosing, r/c is not for you.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hang in there and enjoy what you can and when you can.
Cody01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

lol.....naw just a bad night. Of course its fun no matter what, but we have all sold our equipment a couple times in our own minds after "stinking up the track''. Its back to normal, by the way, the b6 Pro I just broke in......have never driven or witnessed another motor quite like this. Nothing compares basically. 21-who???
onefastlap101 is offline   Reply With Quote