R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default sim racing

Anyone else play any RFACTOR or anything?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Got hooked on iRacing back in July, my Old Man (who absolutely HATES video games of every kind) joined a few months later.

I'm dedicated to Late Models but you might see me in an SK Modified or Street Stock every now and then. I've got a toe in the road racing pond too, running the Miata or the Solstice once in awhile, and lots of messing around with the FR500S Mustang, Ford Falcon V8 Supercar, and Corvette C6.R GT1 in private test sessions.

Funny you bring this up, my old trusty Logitech MOMO's pedalset just gave up the ghost today. Already got a Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch on its way.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Tech Regular

is IRACING part of rfactor or a different game itself?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Whole different show. One of the two guys that head it is Dave Kaemmer, former founder of Papyrus Studios that made all those great NASCAR Racing sims back in the '90s, along with Grand Prix Legends, IndyCar Racing, and SODA Offroad Racing. He's also in charge of researching and developing/coding the tire model for iRacing, and after three years of work they're about to launch the newest tire model on a NASCAR Nationwide car.

And before you ask, iRacing is currently only pavement. Somebody starts a new thread on the members forum asking about dirt racing probably two or three times a week. iRacing's official word is that they'd love to get into dirt and offroad racing, but there's still so much they want to do with pavement racing that they couldn't even begin to think about dirt right now.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Regular

looks awesome, got on youtube watching a dozen or so video's. Sounds expensive having to buy tracks and cars
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Tech Elite

It's not that bad. All the cars are about $12, and tracks range from $12-14. And that's a one-time purchase too, and any updates to cars and tracks are free and automatically applied next time you log in. All versions of each car (for example, a speedway, superspeedway, and road course Cup series car) and all configurations of each track are included with each purchase. The only recurring payment is the subscription, which helps to think of as your entry fee.

You can earn participation credits as well. Racing 8 weeks out of a 12 week season in any car nets you $4, up to $10 a season for a total of $40 a year. They also do rebates for preordering new cars and tracks; I got an $8 rebate last weekend when I bought the Mustang Challenge FR500S and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. You can also build your own package deals; any 3 pieces of content is 10% off, etc., and there's a huge discount for people who buy every car and track in the service. I've met a few guys that say they play iRacing for free.

You really have to see it as a legitimate motorsport and not another "game", it's every bit as big a deal as R/C racing. iRacing takes itself very seriously; they have a sporting code that is strictly enforced, and advancement through the hierarchy of iRacing is done through clean driving, not race wins. Customer support is second to none as well; the servers are rock-steady, glitches are fixed in hours instead of months, exploits are immediately addressed and patched, and enforcement against modders/hackers is top priority. Since joining the service I've yet to see anyone hacking. If you have a problem with the service, there's a tech support phone number that will have you back on track in minutes (literally) as well as a tech email. iRacing even has its own news page (inRacingNews), video blog (iRacingTV), and a 3rd party TV station (Pro Sim Racing Television). And every 12 weeks (1 season) the sim gets updated. Guaranteed.

Not bad for $7.50-$12 per month.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Ah, and I almost forgot: Special events. In another week Nextel Cup series driver Landon Cassill will be holding his second simBOOT Qualifying Challenge. Anybody with the Cup series car and Darlington can enter. It's a fixed-setup event, no chassis adjustments allowed. You get 1 chance to do 1 lap. The fastest lap wins $2,000.

That's not iRacing credits or in-game fun bucks. Two grand in United States dollars. Cash. Redeemable anywhere for anything.

For 1 lap.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
Tech Regular

thats pretty sweet!! I know the game is awesome, all the old papryus game were great! I think they are better than any new nascar game EA sports or the new nascar 11 has ever been. Im not much of a fan of nascar 11, I really only like to play RFACTOR, I might have to switch over to IRACING.. I have a Nascar Charger 2 wheel and pedals sitting in my basement. Have never used it, I finally got around to getting an adapter so i can use it!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Story I heard goes that EA Sports bought out Papyrus and turned NASCAR Racing into the NASCAR 20__ series, which yeah, pretty much took all the "sim" out of it. John Henry, owner of the Boston Red Sox and closet simracing fan, came to Dave and asked him if he wanted to put the band back together & do everything in-house. Most of the current staff at iRacing used to work at Papyrus back in the day, and the iRacing sim itself is for all intents and purposes a modded version of NASCAR Racing 2003. So even though iRacing only started back in 2008, the software and the people behind it have a lot of history and experience.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

iracing looks amazing.
id love to try it. however having to drop decent coin for a steering wheel i may not ever use again is a large initial investment
monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Tech Elite

If you play racing games on PS3, look into a Logitech Driving Force GT. It'll work on either PC or PS3 and is pretty much the current standard for budget wheels. New ones go around $130, but do some digging and I'm sure you'll find used ones much cheaper. My Old Man uses it for iRacing and loves it, and it blows the doors off my old Logitech MOMO (but we'll see how it stacks up to my Thrustmaster RGT when it arrives on Monday )