R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default be careful selling RC on ebay

I just sold a 2wd Slash on ebay... it had the STRC lcg kit/Rustler chassis with a ProTrac kit and the factory VXL electronics... I built it for my son (10) to race but he really wanted to go 4x4...so we sold it to fund a new truck.

Today I received a dispute notification from Paypal... seems the buyer got the truck and has decided that he would rather just get a do over and would like his money back...

He claimed that the truck worked when it arrived, but after a pack the rear wheels would not turn anymore. I told him it worked fine when I sent it...but because I would not want to get a new truck and have it break that I would pay for him to take it to his LHS for diagnosis...I thought maybe the pinion slipped off or the TX/RX needed to be re-bound.

A week later he send me an e-mail asking for a refund because his "friend" who is a Traxxas expert told him it's the differential, and that expensive part would be on backorder locally and he would have to get on a long waiting list for a new differential...???

I found a hobby shop in his home state and low and behold they have lots of Traxxas Slash differentials in stock...for $12.95. I returned his email and informed him that I would order and have one shipped to him Monday morning...but I guess that was not good enough. He decided to dispute the sale with Paypal...

I don't want to be a jerk, but I sold this guy a working truck. It was clearly described as used, and the auction was clearly labelled "no refunds available" due to the nature of the hobby.

Now I have a negative paypal balance, which will surely be deducted from my bank account, and have to wait until May 4 for Paypal to make a decision.

I know that truck worked 100% when I boxed it up and shipped it... I ran half a pack through it to make sure... And I know it worked (at lease he said it did) when he received it. He said he ran it in his house and initially everything was fine. I have tried to help this guy, I offered to pay for a hobby shop to look at the truck, and I'm even taking his expert friend's word for it that the diff is somehow broken and have offered to send a new replacement...

Is this just a newbie with buyer's remorse?

Did I do something wrong?

Has anyone been through this? and if so... any idea what the outcome will be?

/rant off
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Yeah Ebay has ZERO protection for the seller!
They fall at the feet of buyers though!

I don't sell on ebay anymore for that reason! And the fees suck ass too!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I dont think that you did anything wrong! And actually you have gone the extra mile to make this right. Hopefully ebay and pal pal will do the right thing here.
Quickstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

That really sucks man. I want to sell my SC10 now and this is not the first time I've heard of a story like this.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Yeah, the buyer is a nub. Dont do anything further with the buyer now after he disputed it. I wouldnt even use that paypal account anymore and take your info off it if you can so they dont charge you. Are you even getting the truck back? lol

ebay owns paypal btw...a reason I stopped selling on ebay
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstang View Post
I dont think that you did anything wrong! And actually you have gone the extra mile to make this right. Hopefully ebay and pal pal will do the right thing here.
Yeah, probalbly SHOULD do that but they never do whats right!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Yeah Ebay has ZERO protection for the seller!
They fall at the feet of buyers though!

I don't sell on ebay anymore for that reason! And the fees suck ass too!
Also why I stopped selling on feebay long ago. You can state no refunds due to the nature of second hand goods but does eBay care? Your only hope is to present your info to paypal, especially the email where he stated that the truck worked. Paypal deals with scammers all the time. Make him out to be the dick he is and hopefully they will take care of it. Don't plan on seeing your money for a while though. Furthermore how do you know he didn't just break it being an idiot? This is why I hate eBay, everyone thinks it's a free pass to get crap for nothing if they are not happy. Point is item arrived as described in auction, working as stated in his email. There is no warranty period there is no returns why the he'll is the seller the only one who is always held to the contract while the buyer can do whatever the hell they want? Sorry to hear that dude try what I said and good luck!
slimthelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Tech Adept

This sucks... I just looked up his Ebay ID and his grand total of 14 transactions equals about $275... $250 of which was mine.

I also re-read his dispute... he wants his cash refunded, but neglected to mention anything about RETURNING THE TRUCK...

Honestly when he told me how new he was to the hobby I was consedering offering to buy the truck back if he would deduct my shipping costs (I paid out of pocket) and the listing fees... bet before I could even float that idea out there he decides to file a dispute.

Clearly we are not going to work this out between us so I did the only thing I could think of and escalated it to Paypal for them to decide. At this point it's not the money, it's the principal. I was honest and described the truck accurately. I labelled the auction "no refunds" and provided the reasoning behind that label. I have offered multiple times, multiple ways to try and help the guy out... but he won't call Traxxas and he claims there is no hobby shop or track anywhere near him.. (does New Jersey have a large area with NO RC support?). He finally got a "friend who is a Traxxas expert" (strange that he would be in an area with no hobby shops or tracks) to look and I took this guy's diagnosis as fact without question and have offered the only help I can think of...but it all comes back to the cash.

If I lied or sold junk I would understand, but when did a "sale" become a "rental" with free shipping?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

He has to pay for the return shipping to you, and send it back in the condition it was sent to him in, so let him send it back and tell him you will refund when it gets back, when you get it notify paypal that it is not in the same condition and missing or broken parts.... They will contact back and forth for a while, then decide whether or not you give it back to him or you give him his money back... If they decide you need to return the truck back to him, he will then again have to pay shipping...
Also if you do end up having to refund his money, shipping is not refundable, so make sure paypal knows what it cost to box it and ship it...
Good luck, if you know how to deal with paypal you will do fine, invest in speaker phone and call instead of emailing, this will earn you points also...
10TT RSPro/6.5 ballistic proline shox, All CF & Alloy, B44.1 RSPro/7.5x12, FT t4.1 RSPro/8.5 X12 Octa, RC8te CE MMM/2200, RC8be RX8/1900, All have DS1015s. I Also Have 3 planes, 4 Helis, 2 boats , a Ton of cars, & 2 Tamiya tractors in boxes{someday Ill build'em} The kids have matching sv2/1406 4600 powered T4.1's & MMM powered LX1e buggies
turb06le240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
Yeah, the buyer is a nub. Dont do anything further with the buyer now after he disputed it. I wouldnt even use that paypal account anymore and take your info off it if you can so they dont charge you. Are you even getting the truck back? lol

ebay owns paypal btw...a reason I stopped selling on ebay
I already have a negative balance placed on the paypal account... if I close it they will process the negative and get the cash from my bank.

They did that before I was notified of the dispute...

Sucks because I use ebay a lot for work related purchases and hope this does not get charged off on my business Amex tied to my paypal acct...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

make sure you call payapl. dont wait to hear from them. I sold a sidewider 5700 to a guy that hooked it up to 3s. blew it up first run. he filed a claim and I waited for paypal to do the investigation. come to find out they returned his money and he sent me a back the esc he burned up. I did not think to call paypal and once I did I explained the situation and had proof of the ad and his emails they reversed the charges. Paypal did eat the cost of the whole deal since they refunded his money before getting the whole story. Just dont lay down and take it.
whjdm069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I had the same thing happen to me on eBay. Paypal used to freeze your account and not unlock it for months. They had over 6k of mine tied up in Paypal for almost a YEAR over something similar, it was bullchit.

Bottom line on R/C is (for me anyways) never sell anything. I will most likely give something away for free before I sell it on eBay.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=prestondan;9013612]This sucks... I just looked up his Ebay ID and his grand total of 14 transactions equals about $275... $250 of which was mine.

I also re-read his dispute... he wants his cash refunded, but neglected to mention anything about RETURNING THE TRUCK...

Exactly....... Another person who uses ebay's bassackwards policies to scam sellers for free stuff. Pretty pathetic. Betting he just pulled a noob move and broke it but won't admit it. Like I said before present his statement that it was as described and in working order when it arrived. Since you posted no returns or refunds you got him by the balls if he stated the above to you in an email. It will just take some time for the process. I would be suprised if you actually got the truck back no matter the outcome and if you do I cringe to think of it's condition compared to when it was shipped. I'm a fourth gen union meber of the IBEW and love america but some of the people make me sick. This guy is a grade A buster for sure. Starting to feel alot more like the land of the freeloaders to me unfortunately. Good luck with the dispute and be firm with paypal they will want to just give in to him, don't let them it's crap. If only one party has to follow the contract that's a conflict of interest and paypal is just as liable as he is.
slimthelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Support you beloved forums, buy and sell here.

Team Terribles
Mike's Hobby Shop
Texoma Hobby Shop
nitrofreek77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofreek77 View Post
Support you beloved forums, buy and sell here.
+1! It may take a lot longer to move an item, but it does work, eventually...