R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Questions?? Advantage to Ordering from LHS?

I'm about to order my RC18T2/B2 Team Kit but it's out of stock at Tower. I think I'll have my LHS order it for me but I'm afraid it will be a lot more expensive (Tower has the lowest price I've seen). What are the benefits to having your LHS order something for you, both for you and for them?
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

well you will help the employess there have a job, if you have the lhs order for you you might ge, t a little discount maybe but i dont it.

yea you will pay more at, the lhs but your giving them more business.

trust me man support you lhs i wish i still had one.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Tech Champion

My LHS usually gives me discount, although they have an online shop too.

I try to support them when I can, especially for consumable parts such as tyres, cell tape and occasional tools, because you never know when you need stuff like this at short notice

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I only support LHS's that support a local track. They are the only ones that know the products, and charge a fair price. They usually offer 'racer's discounts' also. I will support their job's.

The closest hobby store to me is a national chain, and is 5 minutes from my house. I have to go there with part #'s in hand, or I will be there an extra 1/2 hour waiting for them to fumble through catalogs. They rediculously overcharge on small parts. When you first meet the owner/employee's, they tell you that you can order parts through them and have them in 3 days. They don't tell you that, this is the best case scenario, and they will wait until they themselves build a big enough order to get a discount through their supplier, before they place an order. At times, I have had to wait 2 weeks for things like a-arms. I end up ordering them online after waiting a weeks time, and getting them shipped to my house before the LHS calls to say my order is in. Yes, I have lot's of extra parts. The last time I went there (which was the last time period), the owner told me, straightfaced, that a certain brand of fuel was being discontinued. Employees from the company itself, and sponsored racers, all said it's not being discontinued. I have come to the conclusion that this store only caters to the owners bottom line, and to the bashers who come into the store asking opinions of the employees as to what they should buy for their truck. If you are a racer, you are wasting your time there.

The LHS that supports our track is 45 minutes from my house. It's a long drive, but worth it. They know the products inside and out. Charge a fair price. Offer discounts to people they know race at the track they support.

Wether I order online or buy at the LHS, I am supporting someones job. If I am supporting someones job at an online store on the other side of the country, and they have what I need everytime I place an order, and can get it to me by the end of the week, I am going to continue to order from them. If I have to drive 45 minutes to buy fuel, because I know they carry the fuel I use, I will do so.

If I go to a LHS 5 minutes from my house, and they BS me everytime I go there, I could care less about their jobs. They don't care about you buisness, just your money.
Oomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky (besides the fact that there's no track within 2 hours of my house ). My closest LHS (J & M) is 10 minutes away and is by far the best, I have only gone there a few times (started out in the hobby early this year), but every time they are friendly and have what I need, or can help me work around a problem. The next closest "hobby shop" is is Talbots Toyland. Their hobby section is roughly the size of of J & M, but the density of knowledge is much less . Once I went in to buy some antenna tubes and the guy looked at me like "".

Anyway, I think I will end up buying my kit from somebody here on RCTech . Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Drusillus Send a message via MSN to Drusillus Send a message via Skype™ to Drusillus

The benefit for me is my LHS is also my racetrack. So by supporting the LHS I am also helping make sure I continue to have a racetrack to play on.

Most hobby stores will comes close to the online price for you. Maybe not an exact match since there is freight involved, but I always find it best to help your LHS or any local business for that matter.

$$ spent in your community helps your community.
Drusillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

How does the LHS get money from you ordering through them? Do they mark up the price a bit? Because it's not the same as parts where they can buy in bulk, then make profit be selling for retail...
Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Kster View Post
How does the LHS get money from you ordering through them? Do they mark up the price a bit? Because it's not the same as parts where they can buy in bulk, then make profit be selling for retail...
Yes, "Retail"(your cost) and "Wholesale"(their cost) are often about 200-500% different. That means the part you pay $5.00 for, cost the LHS about $1-$1.50(sometimes less, but that's typical on parts or relatively cheap products, the profit margin on kits, RTRs and more expensive stuff is substantially lower). If they didn't make that kind of money, they couldn't keep their doors open. Consider they pay rent, power, water, employees; THEN they can buy and stock parts. After all that, THEN they can pay themselves.... Its the primary reason there are so few tracks around. Unless you're already rich, win the lotto, or inherit millions, you just can't afford to open and maintain a track.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Yes, "Retail"(your cost) and "Wholesale"(their cost) are often about 200-500% different. That means the part you pay $5.00 for, cost the LHS about $1-$1.50(sometimes less, but that's typical on parts or relatively cheap products, the profit margin on kits, RTRs and more expensive stuff is substantially lower). If they didn't make that kind of money, they couldn't keep their doors open. Consider they pay rent, power, water, employees; THEN they can buy and stock parts. After all that, THEN they can pay themselves.... Its the primary reason there are so few tracks around. Unless you're already rich, win the lotto, or inherit millions, you just can't afford to open and maintain a track.

yea but i know tracks that, dont have a hobby store and the racetrack is successful.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
yea but i know tracks that, dont have a hobby store and the racetrack is successful.
Its true, you CAN have a successful independent track. The owner might even make some $$, but very VERY few people can pull that off. Its like a perfect storm; a single ingredient left out, means nothing happens. We've watched 3 tracks close, and several more never even get started. Its tough.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Its true, you CAN have a successful independent track. The owner might even make some $$, but very VERY few people can pull that off. Its like a perfect storm; a single ingredient left out, means nothing happens. We've watched 3 tracks close, and several more never even get started. Its tough.

well this might sound dumb but , dont most racers order thier stuff online anyways .

thats why im saying that, you dont need a hobby shop to run a track sucessfull.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
well this might sound dumb but , dont most racers order thier stuff online anyways .

thats why im saying that, you dont need a hobby shop to run a track sucessfull.
Right, you need RACERS! However, unless its a pretty successful track, you cannot make a living off just a track.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The advantage is when you collapse on the floor from seeing your bill, they can resuscitate you on the spot
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

My LHS sucks. I would have no problem paying a little more for a part if they actually had it on hand. My LHS has 3 bodies on hand. 2 are Elcaminos for a tmaxx and the other is some parma dump truck (Not to mention have $45 price tags on them). I have to order fuel, which if I chose to, it takes 2 weeks and costs $45-$50 a gallon. I realize there isnt much room for mark up on Rc stuff for profit, but to try to take advantage of a person like they try to, I buy from them as little as possible. Which usually isnt a problem because they dont keep much anything in stock. If ya want a pokemon or magic card though, my lhs is your place!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Right, you need RACERS! However, unless its a pretty successful track, you cannot make a living off just a track.
I'm pretty sure the tracks I visit only make a little bit of money, then spend any extra money on improvements. I don't think you need to 'make a living' from a hobby.