R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My LHS can be quite good, a few weeks ago I orded some LRP stuff on a Wednesday and the stuff arrived on the Friday, couldn't ask for any better for stuff the LHS doesn't keep in stock.
The track thats 10min (heavy traffic) away from me is independent of any shops, and has been around since 1985, although it is on council land and apart of a big sport area that is owned by the council. The club has been around since 1982. So it is very possible for a track so survive and not be a proper business.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Right, you need RACERS! However, unless its a pretty successful track, you cannot make a living off just a track.

yea but 90 % of the guys who, own the track have a regular job and use the track for extra money.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Yes, "Retail"(your cost) and "Wholesale"(their cost) are often about 200-500% different. That means the part you pay $5.00 for, cost the LHS about $1-$1.50(sometimes less, but that's typical on parts or relatively cheap products, the profit margin on kits, RTRs and more expensive stuff is substantially lower). If they didn't make that kind of money, they couldn't keep their doors open. Consider they pay rent, power, water, employees; THEN they can buy and stock parts. After all that, THEN they can pay themselves.... Its the primary reason there are so few tracks around. Unless you're already rich, win the lotto, or inherit millions, you just can't afford to open and maintain a track.

I assure you there is NOTHING in the RC world (except maybe PTs) that have anywhere near a 200-500% markup.
Also, NOBODY pays retail. Retail on a MMM combo is $500. You won't pay more than $300 anywhere you go. And if you do I'll sell you some ocean front property in Utah.

Markup from wholesale (Dealer) cost to actual street price (what you PAY, not what MSRP is listed at) is usually 20-50% at most. Always a few exceptions though. The worst offender for this is RPM that I've found.
Every LHS I've been in charges the full $50 for a Revo True Track kit yet there cost is only $26 and change.

Your LHS definitely has overhead costs that an internet retailer does not so they have to charge more for things and even though I own a small internet shop I still say support your LHS when possible. But if you're in between paychecks and need to save that extra few bucks there is nothing wrong with ordering online.
Neu_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote