Tech Initiate

Who would pay 334$ for XL5 rustler?
draggin97s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #137
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd View Post
your LHS has rent, insurance, sales help, electricity...etc. etc. etc. The additional cost in in those things. The value is someone who can direct you in the right direction when you have a question and a place to buy that broker part you need NOW. If you continue to buy online there will be no more LHS...and when the LHS dies local tracks die too. Tracks cannot stay in business only taking your race fee and some random repair parts.

The markup in this hobby is small. There are parts that have less than a 10% markup...kits like the losi 22 net a store something like $40. It's people like you that are killing the LHS and when they die the hobby moves to toys r us and all the tracks close.
Markup in this hobby is anything but small. I used to wrok at a LHS, markup on parts is significant.

In terms of value from the LHS steering you in the right direction or offering solid advice, my own personal experience from being on both sides of the counter is that "help" is sporadic and many times non existant from the LHS in regards to the customer. I actually find that most hobbyists/customers in this day and age are alot more knowledgeable than those who operate these stores.

I rarely buy parts or supplies from a track I run at locally that has a large LHS and staff, because most of the time the staff is rude or unattenntive to questions and inquiries, the prices on top don't help either, nor does the sales tax. If the staff though was just a bit more friendly or knowledgeable I could overlook the prices and tax. But thats not the case.

Im from the school that my business needs to be EARNED, especially when it involves a hobby and not a necessity of life.
ntrain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruknd View Post
your LHS has rent, insurance, sales help, electricity...etc. etc. etc. The additional cost in in those things. The value is someone who can direct you in the right direction when you have a question and a place to buy that broker part you need NOW. If you continue to buy online there will be no more LHS...and when the LHS dies local tracks die too. Tracks cannot stay in business only taking your race fee and some random repair parts.

The markup in this hobby is small. There are parts that have less than a 10% markup...kits like the losi 22 net a store something like $40. It's people like you that are killing the LHS and when they die the hobby moves to toys r us and all the tracks close.
Agreed with Ntrain, you are dead wrong. The markups are pretty large, I work at my LHS, "our price" is almost half of the list price for normal customers. I got tires/rims the other day for 35 dollars at my price (distributors price), the cost for what I got if I was to just walk into a random hobby shop would be 70 plus tax.

I dont consider $35 markup small, definetly not chump change.
faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #139
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifiend View Post
I have never considerd Traxxas to be hobby grade any ways.

This made me laugh... just because you own a Pro-Boat product and talking down on Traxxas

HPI Firestorm 10T // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
HPI RS4 EVO+ // Hyper .21 Bigblock Power
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #140
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze View Post
Agreed with Ntrain, you are dead wrong. The markups are pretty large, I work at my LHS, "our price" is almost half of the list price for normal customers. I got tires/rims the other day for 35 dollars at my price (distributors price), the cost for what I got if I was to just walk into a random hobby shop would be 70 plus tax.

I dont consider $35 markup small, definetly not chump change.
But the 50% isn't the way it is across the board. Lot's of items are 25% or less. This aside you need to sell a lot of $35 tires to pay the rent. I find the staff ay any of the LHSs I frequent pretty decent and willing to help.

And if you race and the track's hobby shop isn't supported the track will close.
ruknd is offline   Reply With Quote