Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Electric Car Kicking All Kinds of Muscle Car Butt

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/vide...ic-Drag-Racing

403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am forwarding this to all of my friends that don't believe me that electric is faster...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The problem with electric cars is not performance, they can go as fast as the rubber will allow. The problem is range, recharge time and durability of the batteries. Give me an electric car that I can drive across the country without stopping to recharge overnight and with batteries that last a few years and are cheap to replace and I just might buy one. Until then, no dice.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Houston is a big place, I'd settle for one that I could drive across town and back without having to recharge, thats over 100miles. Electric car is not close and no matter how many laws Congress writes mandating them, its not happening anytime soon.

Natural gas powered car is currently feaasible and sold in one or two states, but no one seems to want to invest the money for fueling stations. Why doesn't Congress push those and pass incentives, they're greener than gasoline and would reduce out dependence on imported oil? Electric is some kind of holy grail or something.

You can have a fuel station put in at your house if you've got gas, but its a few grand - why no incentive? Imagaine being able to refuel your car at home?
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goodtunes1978 Send a message via MSN to goodtunes1978 Send a message via Yahoo to goodtunes1978

hahahah and not 1 pollutant in the environment

well we do have to charge them dont we where does most of that power come from tell me you guessed it coal and petro fired power plants bwahahhahaha kinda makes you thank oh yea forgot up there part of it comes from the Bonneville dam just up the columbia river but yea thats like .125% of the power used to charge that car ahahhahahah they think they can spread propaganda i think not
goodtunes1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not to mention those batteries are full of all sorts of toxic chemicals and require frequent replacement.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to downtempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtunes1978 View Post
hahahah and not 1 pollutant in the environment

well we do have to charge them dont we where does most of that power come from tell me you guessed it coal and petro fired power plants bwahahhahaha kinda makes you thank oh yea forgot up there part of it comes from the Bonneville dam just up the columbia river but yea thats like .125% of the power used to charge that car ahahhahahah they think they can spread propaganda i think not
I could give a f*ck about driving an electric car to work for now. I just get a kick out of watching the new technology being developed.

87% of Washington's power comes from hydroelectric and more than 60% of Oregon's power comes from hydroelectric/other renewables. Washington's Grand Coulee Dam alone sells millions of megawatts every year to California/Oregon... makes Bonneville look like something built by beavers.

The only "propaganda" I see being spread here is gas cars suck ass on 1/4 mile compared to the new generation of "go fast" cars, here is a psuedo Tesla giving ya' a reminder:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The "tree huggers" are gonna' come and snatch you in your sleep unless you comform!
downtempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Tech Elite

even factoring in power station emissions, electric cars easily run at over 100mpg, with about 30g of CO2 per KM.

Man, I want one of those! I've been planning an electric car for years. And to think he did all that on DC with lead acid batteries.

downtempo: that's a converted aerial atom is it not?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Tech Champion

The beauty and power of electric is why I got one of these:

R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
The beauty and power of electric is why I got one of these:

LOL!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Wow, both of those cars are just absolutely SICK!! I cant wait to see the first production driver that actually has a reasonable range for a daily driver!!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules

me and my friend have been planning an electric car for about a year now. theoretically, it wont cost ya a dollar to maintain(gas or electric bill), and ya never have to recharge it. and no its not solar power.

all we need is a donor car and some $$$$
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
me and my friend have been planning an electric car for about a year now. theoretically, it wont cost ya a dollar to maintain(gas or electric bill), and ya never have to recharge it. and no its not solar power.

all we need is a donor car and some $$$$
on ecomodder.com there are a few build threads. overall, it costs hardly anything to build an electric vehicle! the guys bought a car for $500, stripped the engine etc, sold that for $550! another guy bought a forklift for $500, and removed the controller, batteries (sold as lead scrap) and 4 motors, and sold the forklift chassis for $500 as scrap! he then made up the cost of the batteries by selling the 3 unused motors to other builders!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
on ecomodder.com there are a few build threads. overall, it costs hardly anything to build an electric vehicle! the guys bought a car for $500, stripped the engine etc, sold that for $550! another guy bought a forklift for $500, and removed the controller, batteries (sold as lead scrap) and 4 motors, and sold the forklift chassis for $500 as scrap! he then made up the cost of the batteries by selling the 3 unused motors to other builders!
yes but our plan involves more than just motors and controllers but i like that idea. buy and sell. buy and sell. buy and sell.....
Old 12-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
yes but our plan involves more than just motors and controllers but i like that idea. buy and sell. buy and sell. buy and sell.....
oh, I reread the original post. no charging? you building a perpetual motion machine? lol