R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
The problem with electric cars is not performance, they can go as fast as the rubber will allow. The problem is range, recharge time and durability of the batteries. Give me an electric car that I can drive across the country without stopping to recharge overnight and with batteries that last a few years and are cheap to replace and I just might buy one. Until then, no dice.
Gas cars cant drive cross country w/o stopping to refuel either.. the tesla roadster has a practical range of 150-200 mi. I get about 250/tank on my 03 mazda protege. wait a few more years. itl get real good.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Gas cars cant drive cross country w/o stopping to refuel either.. the tesla roadster has a practical range of 150-200 mi. I get about 250/tank on my 03 mazda protege. wait a few more years. itl get real good.
yes but how long does it take to fill a car with gas? 3 minuets for everything?

how long does it take to charge a car? a night?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post

16 hours for the tesla.

I'd own one, but untill things get a little more advanced i'll take the gas car for anything else but a daily driver.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

Like i said, wait a little time. IDK if you saw this, but a wile back RCCA had an article on a 6 sec. elec. drag bike that ran on A123 cells. Those only take 15 mins to charge.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #35
Tech Rookie

Default tto1

hey guys whats up i need some help with electric motors wich is the best motor out and fast
Old 12-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Like i said, wait a little time. IDK if you saw this, but a wile back RCCA had an article on a 6 sec. elec. drag bike that ran on A123 cells. Those only take 15 mins to charge.
ya i have seen that. but still. if you were driving cross country, several 15 in stops could waste alot of time.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Those of you that are into battery technology are probably familiar with a123 Systems. They sponsor an electric drag bike called killacycle. Here's an old vid of it breaking an old record. They've got it going a little faster now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHJN...eature=related

edit; Ok so I was finally able to finish watching the originally posted video and saw that all the above info was already there. Kindly disregard my retardedness.

Last edited by helibrian; 12-17-2008 at 07:45 AM.
helibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post

Natural gas powered car is currently feaasible and sold in one or two states, but no one seems to want to invest the money for fueling stations. Why doesn't Congress push those and pass incentives, they're greener than gasoline and would reduce out dependence on imported oil? Electric is some kind of holy grail or something.

You can have a fuel station put in at your house if you've got gas, but its a few grand - why no incentive? Imagaine being able to refuel your car at home?
I looked into the natural gas thing for my '03 pickup. There are a couple of snags there. You can't just go out and buy the parts and DIY, which is most of the fun right there. You gotta pay someone with "special certification" to install the conversion. The filling station hooks right up to your home gas line which is cool but, where I'm at the gas company increases $/unit with an increase in usage, so that kinda sucks. And finally the whole enchilada would've wound up costing the upside of 25k.

I also looked into converting to E85 or straight ethanol but where I'm at the nearest e85 is about a 50 minute drive in each direction.

And lastly (this part makes all of the above moot.), I was told by the BAR that it is against federal law to alter/modify the engine on any pollution controlled vehicle to run on anything other than what the manufacturer calibrated that vehicle to run on at the factory.

Q; So if I went to an auto salvage yard and bought all the parts from a flex fuel vehicle of the same make, model, and year, I can't legally install them and run the car on the highway?
A; No.
Q; So, if I figured out a way to make my truck run on water...?
A; No.
Q; Air?
A; No.
Q; Dog $h!+?
A; No.

helibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
somewhat

i know. i guess we defied the laws of physics, which isnt that hard seeing as the law also states a bumblebee cant fly. i dont wanna tell any details, but after some small scale tests, we had sucess! we had an electric motor run at 1500RPM for 3 weeks without it being remotly plugged into the wall. im not going to release any information until the prototype is built or there is a patent on the design.
Ok.....but still, it only ran for 3 weeks, then what? Re-charge? Perpetual motion is a huge deal and has been argued over for years and we still don't have it. Everything degrades over time, magnets will lose their field, etc....

If it were possible, there would have to be no outside elements to mess with the operation, no friction, no aging, no light, nothing. Then we would never see it anyways

Things will get efficient enough that it will be a new era in technology, we'll be running our cars off of watch batteries for 2-300mi at a time with 300hp brushless motors charging all the batteries we use off a giant mirror that harnesses the sun's energy 100X better than a conventional solar panel!

I'm a genius! Now someone make it work!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
me and my friend have been planning an electric car for about a year now. theoretically, it wont cost ya a dollar to maintain(gas or electric bill), and ya never have to recharge it. and no its not solar power.

all we need is a donor car and some $$$$
Are you stupid?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #41
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93 View Post
Are you stupid?
lol
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
ya i have seen that. but still. if you were driving cross country, several 15 in stops could waste alot of time.
I don't know about you, but I like to do things like EAT and STRETCH every 3 hours or so, which is about what it would take to use up that 200 miles. I could use 15 minutes of charge time to relax. Plus, no more gas, and... when it hits $5.00 a gallon next summer, you can laugh at everybody at the gas station.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93 View Post
Are you stupid?
maybe.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I don't know about you, but I like to do things like EAT and STRETCH every 3 hours or so, which is about what it would take to use up that 200 miles. I could use 15 minutes of charge time to relax. Plus, no more gas, and... when it hits $5.00 a gallon next summer, you can laugh at everybody at the gas station.
i do like to eat, but not everytime we gas up. also, wont things like AC, Heaters, TVs and Xbox 360s lower that electric range? i know with my moms minivan we still got like a 350 mile range on a tank of gas. although most of the trip we ran it on E85 so that makes it a lil better.....

so show me an electric car that gets at least 300 miles with all of those running, and ill believe electric is the future
Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
i do like to eat, but not everytime we gas up. also, wont things like AC, Heaters, TVs and Xbox 360s lower that electric range? i know with my moms minivan we still got like a 350 mile range on a tank of gas. although most of the trip we ran it on E85 so that makes it a lil better.....

so show me an electric car that gets at least 300 miles with all of those running, and ill believe electric is the future
Your the type of ignorant person that is preventing technology to advance.