R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

A car that never has to be recharged would defy physics! I've always thought about putting a generator on an electric car, so when you drive it would charge itself, but by having that generator in place would take more power to drive the car, and it would never be able to fully keep up and stay fully charged. It would just recharge like 70% (if you're lucky) each time, which would still slowly degrade until you would be forced to recharge the car by another means.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
A car that never has to be recharged would defy physics! I've always thought about putting a generator on an electric car, so when you drive it would charge itself, but by having that generator in place would take more power to drive the car, and it would never be able to fully keep up and stay fully charged. It would just recharge like 70% (if you're lucky) each time, which would still slowly degrade until you would be forced to recharge the car by another means.
Well the idea of perpetual motion has been around for a LONG time and no body has found the secret yet.I would be happy with a daily driver with a 200mile range . That would be pretty practical for every day use.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MoparRules Send a message via Yahoo to MoparRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
oh, I reread the original post. no charging? you building a perpetual motion machine? lol
somewhat
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i know. i guess we defied the laws of physics, which isnt that hard seeing as the law also states a bumblebee cant fly. i dont wanna tell any details, but after some small scale tests, we had sucess! we had an electric motor run at 1500RPM for 3 weeks without it being remotly plugged into the wall. im not going to release any information until the prototype is built or there is a patent on the design.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FYI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_myTz3hX9ik
Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
somewhat

i know. i guess we defied the laws of physics, which isnt that hard seeing as the law also states a bumblebee cant fly. i dont wanna tell any details, but after some small scale tests, we had sucess! we had an electric motor run at 1500RPM for 3 weeks without it being remotly plugged into the wall. im not going to release any information until the prototype is built or there is a patent on the design.
What law states principles that hint at a bumble bee not being able to fly?

perpetual motion is straight up impossible, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, and for every reaction there is an equal, yet oppisite reaction.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
What law states principles that hint at a bumble bee not being able to fly?
Its a combination of Gravity and Aerodynamics. I've actually seen it graphed out, to demonstrate that numbers can't yet define everything.

Quote:
perpetual motion is straight up impossible, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, and for every reaction there is an equal, yet oppisite reaction.
There are things beyond our understanding, and one of which has to do with the nature of materials in reaction to subtle electric charges. With very little energy, you can initiate a reaction that may take 3 weeks to play out. Kinda like plucking a single stone from a dam, and putting a water wheel on the leak.

Many moons ago, I watched a Discovery Chanel show, where a guy demonstrated he could make more electricity from little or none. He traveled around the country showing it off. He was an older guy, may not even still be around... something to think about.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

You could build a car that never needed recharging (at least within a lifetime). All you would need is a nuclear reactor. A few pounds of uranium could power a car for decades. Just don't crash the thing.

The Air Force played around with a nuclear bomber concept that could stay aloft indefinitely but the possibility of a crash combined with radioactive exhaust killed that idea.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #23
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
somewhat

i know. i guess we defied the laws of physics, which isnt that hard seeing as the law also states a bumblebee cant fly.
There is NO LAW stating bees can't fly. There was a theory but theories are NOT laws. Theories are proven and dis-proven every day, laws are not. Bone up on your research, bumble bee flight was figured out a few years ago.

I can only think of one so called law that was dis-proven. I think it was the law of conservation of barion number or something like that. Not sure, have to look it up.

Perpetual motion is not really possible. It is possible to come up with some sort of power supply so strong that refueling or recharging would be a rare occurrence (nuclear reactor) or extraordinarily efficient (super conducting magnets).
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Oh, by the way. If you are trying to build a Perepiteia machine the whole thing is bullsh*t. Your car will have less range.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Its a combination of Gravity and Aerodynamics. I've actually seen it graphed out, to demonstrate that numbers can't yet define everything.

UUUhhhm... ever heard of bernuli's principles? Newton's laws?

Show me these "graphs" of yours.

What laws do they defy?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #26
Tech Lord

Bees can fly after all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumblebee
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Hot damn R40, you need to check out this site, it seems perfectly suited for you.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...blebees-to-fly

And these,

http://www.theness.com/articles.asp?id=41

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/200...-cant-fly.html

Coming at a conclusion based on simply what other's say without the use of your common sense is JANK dude. ;P

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtempo View Post
The only "propaganda" I see being spread here is gas cars suck ass on 1/4 mile compared to the new generation of "go fast" cars, here is a psuedo Tesla giving ya' a reminder:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The "tree huggers" are gonna' come and snatch you in your sleep unless you comform!
Gas cars suck in the 1/4 mile you say? That car in the video only ran a 12 second quarter mile. I have a car in my driveway that does that and it's 32 years old. Call me when a electric car gets under five seconds at over 300 mph.

I'm not saying electrics can't do it, they certainly can but as for now, internal combustion still rules the drag strip. Also, the land speed record is held by essentially kerosene, not batteries.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to downtempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Gas cars suck in the 1/4 mile you say? That car in the video only ran a 12 second quarter mile. I have a car in my driveway that does that and it's 32 years old. Call me when a electric car gets under five seconds at over 300 mph.

I'm not saying electrics can't do it, they certainly can but as for now, internal combustion still rules the drag strip. Also, the land speed record is held by essentially kerosene, not batteries.
I should have not assume the idea of staying in context to thread... my comment as posted was in response to "propaganda" being spread rather than what technology rules a drag strip.

The original video posted I found to be entertaining as applicable to how electrics can perform (especially considering curb weight/hp ratio). When I quoted for my post it was a direct perspective of how I found the video to be with the bonus data on Northwest power generation sources.

I could care less about going fast in a straight line, watching commonly associated "fast street cars" getting smoked by electric? Classic.
downtempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No electricity needed, environmentaly sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktc7w0py6ks
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote