R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Chat Lounge

Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default What does it cost to open a indoor track?

Just curious.....I would think usually it is funded or owned by a local hobby shop....but what does it cost monthly if you were just renting out a large building?

Electric, heat, ac, adding all the pit tables & driver stands.....and trucking in all that dirt........
Old 12-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends. You can go the efficiency route. No roof, no power, just a track and a pit area. Those are the most common and efficient. Then there's the indoor version, with all of the above. Your two biggest bills are power and rent. Can you afford it?...depends entirely on the turnout. Find a place first, then crunch some numbers. If you can't float for at least 4-6 months with little or no income, don't do it.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

There have been a few cases of racers making a case to local parks to have an area set aside for this specifically. As far as what happens with that space, the race club still has to make it happen so they have to build/fund everything. This takes plenty of political maneuvering and knowing people to get to happen however.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Off road or on road? It depends on your location also..But here in Ca. buildings that are large enough to house an indoor track are not cheap to rent..5000 sq ft buildings rent anywhere from .25 cents a sq. ft to $1.75 a sq. ft. that's $1250 to $8700 a month for rent....Now on what you need..Lap counting system..AMB..For a full system about $3500 with 10 house transponders, good program $500 to $1200..depends on who you go with. Drivers stand..$2000..track barriers..$500, Carpet..CRC..$2500 (shipped) this is for a 80'x48' track. So your looking at about $14000 to get it going. So just to break even on the rent you need 75 racers a month..If you want to pay the bills (electric, gas..etc..) you now need 98 racers a month to just break even....this is based on $1500 a month rent..about the going rate in the area where I live..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Suspended

WE ARE TALKING INDOORS I THINK GUYS.
BUT THE BIGGEST ISSUES I THINK YOU WOULD FIND IS THAT THE BUILDINGS THAT YOU COULD REASONABLY AFFORD WOULD BE ONES WITH LITTLE OR NO HEATING OR AIR CONDITIONING AND THE WORST LOCATIONS, AND THE ONES THAT HAD GOOD HEAT AND AIR WITH A BETTER LOCALE WOULD BE RENT PROHIBITIVE. THEN YOU WOULD STILL HAVE TO FIND A OWNER THAT WOULD ALLOW YOU TO HAUL DIRT INTO THEIR BUILDING. AND FINALLY ALL THE CASH TO COVER THE STUFF OASIS SAID.
WFO7640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess one way to work around the cost is to get rental from food stalls one hobby shop and some sponsors when you set up a indoor track. Estimated $10000 a month
Tera Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

You don't need anything fancy, a building and some dirt.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
You don't need anything fancy, a building and some dirt.
I wasn't talking about anything fancy..just a basic indoor track still costs money..I owned a track so I do understand the costs and I do know what it takes to get one started. If you honestly look at what it's going to take to open your doors and you cant guess on how many racers you think are going to race at your facility..you have to know..
Tera hobby..where do you come up with the 10K figure.... most indoor tracks dont have that many racers..so food and hobby shop sales wont be that high..Most food vendors will work out a percentage on their profit and not pay a flat fee..Running an RC race track reminds me of an old joke..How do you make a small fortune running an RC race track..Start with a Large fortune..
Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
what does it cost monthly if you were just renting out a large building?
Here's the line items I've used in the past, you fill them in and it might be helpful:

Rent
Utilities
Insurance
Track Barriers
Race Timing Hardware
Race Timing Software
Computer and Printer to Run Race Timing
PA System
Driver's Stand Materials
Pit Area Tables/Chairs/Materials
Racing Surface Costs (dirt or carpet)
Building Electrical Service for Pits