Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree178Likes

Kannapolis Raceway Park

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Coffin9
As far as the dirt oval part goes what will be the classes? Reason I ask is I do custom RC stuff and for about 5 years I have been the provider for all dirt modified bodies for the local dirt oval here in Statesville. I would be more than happy to supply a body for modifieds if I know what it needs to fit. Currently I have templates to make 1/10 scale for buggy and car chassis as well as 1/8 to fit sct. If there is any interest let me know.
We are going to have to get together and chat. Our current late model body of choice is the McAllister 1/16 "Batesville" body. It is a perfect fit for the 1/16 Traxxas Mustang, Rally, Slash chassis that is the foundation for the class. The tires and wheels that we use are the semi drift tires that came on the Mustang and the Kyle Bush truck. They are ideal for what we have always called "ICE" racing. The opportunity to have bodies attainable locally to expand to larger scales would be really great. As mentioned before, if the vehicle has actually been on dirt then we really don't have a place for it since we can simulate the style of driving without the mess. Within the 1/16 platform we have several different bodies available already so without changing anything but the battery from 2S to 3S we can go from stock to mod. There are 55 and 56 Chevy and Ford bodies for a bomber class and Camaro's(both late and early models) and Mustangs for a street stock class plus the afore mentioned "dirt" type late models so from a class standpoint there are three based off one chassis. The ability to expand on this by using bodies that you can offer up for 1/10 just broadens the scope.

There is a video or two on the "Tube" of us running this platform in the parking lot of the old "High Speed" Hobbies. I am not adept enough to tell you exactly where but I have seen it.

Our whole plan for this facility is to provide as realistic an RC road course and oval racing experience as possible without using "soil" as a medium. There seems to be plenty of those places around already.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Found the video. Here is where I show my lack of modern day skills. It is in with Mini-z racing at High Speed hobbies and titled "seeing is believing". Anybody out there with the knowledge to link it here once you find it please do.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

https://youtu.be/hHPhETWgD_I
Old 11-23-2017, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Found the video. Here is where I show my lack of modern day skills. It is in with Mini-z racing at High Speed hobbies and titled "seeing is believing". Anybody out there with the knowledge to link it here once you find it please do.
I watched the video. Was the goal of the race for each racer to hit the car in front of theirs as hard and often as possible???? Most hits and spin outs wins?

MC
Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

On that particular surface that was never swept, blown off, treated or anything else the goal was just to maintain some modicum of control for the period of the race. Despite the carnage not a single car was damaged to the point that a part had to be replaced. In fact, the entire time we raced these cars at that site before the shop closed, not a single piece was replaced due to carnage. There were a lot of steering servo failures but that fell to an issue with the manufacturer. They are the best method of teaching throttle control I have ever experienced. If I can put one of these in your hands for 5 minutes you will have as much fun as you legally can with your clothes on. I keep a couple of loaners just for that purpose.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Would 1/12 pan car be too large for the oval part of the track? I'm thinking that the mini slash is probably closer to 1/12 but never compare them.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

That range of Traxxas vehicles are 1/16 and use a 12mm hex wheel. The big oval is a 180 foot lap and the inside is 90Ft. Racing surface on the ovals is 15ft wide so more than enough room for about anything. Sorry no super speedway. More like Martinsville on the outside and Salem Indiana on the inside. Drivers tracks where throttle control as well as car control take a front seat over raw speed. After an 8 minute run you will need to sit down and rest.

To answer your question, 1/12 would be terrific on a track this size.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

We spent some time at the facility today and got about 60-70% of the green down. It sucks when you have to wait til noon or after for it to get above 50* and by 3 it drops back below. Still we got more done. Picked up additional materials to ease the rail installation. Probably would have done more but it is "black Friday" and even Harbor Freight was packed with loonies. More to report on Sunday so stay tuned.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Trader Rating: 470 (100%+)

What will be a good rtr kids class car for here? I'm hoping to grab something ready to go with radio and all for my daughter. It will be F1 for me!
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

We will have a basic box stock class for beginners as well as more skilled racers. Truth is box stock can be fun. Everybody the same speed so you can see yourself improve without having to spend money beyond maintenance and tires. We will likely use the recently released Traxxas 1/10 Fortec with either the Ford GT or Mustang body to begin with replacement bodies becoming drivers choice as the program makes progress. It is a package that includes the car, radio and probably a basic battery and charger. You would want to upgrade the batteries and charger but everything else is of decent quality and their support system is excellent also. We will be overjoyed for the opportunity to guide you with your decisions so that you don't find yourself down the wrong road and lost in the tall grass. Too often people put price in front of quality in this hobby and it bites them pretty fast. The sweet taste of bargain pricing doesn't last nearly as long as the bitter taste of poor quality.

We are hoping to get everything done in time for a meet and greet as well as an impromptu test and tune before Christmas with a grand opening in January. Stay tuned here for information.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Posvar
What will be a good rtr kids class car for here? I'm hoping to grab something ready to go with radio and all for my daughter. It will be F1 for me!
Good to see more interest in F1! We're having a ball racing F1 on the asphalt at Easley and I am looking forward to racing here soon.

Mark
Posvar likes this.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

This track will be perfect for Tamiya Minis too!

MC
Posvar likes this.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mleemor60
We will have a basic box stock class for beginners as well as more skilled racers. Truth is box stock can be fun. Everybody the same speed so you can see yourself improve without having to spend money beyond maintenance and tires. We will likely use the recently released Traxxas 1/10 Fortec with either the Ford GT or Mustang body to begin with replacement bodies becoming drivers choice as the program makes progress. It is a package that includes the car, radio and probably a basic battery and charger. You would want to upgrade the batteries and charger but everything else is of decent quality and their support system is excellent also. We will be overjoyed for the opportunity to guide you with your decisions so that you don't find yourself down the wrong road and lost in the tall grass. Too often people put price in front of quality in this hobby and it bites them pretty fast. The sweet taste of bargain pricing doesn't last nearly as long as the bitter taste of poor quality.

We are hoping to get everything done in time for a meet and greet as well as an impromptu test and tune before Christmas with a grand opening in January. Stay tuned here for information.
Great! I will get whatever for her but want to be sure of what will be the right car for the class. Once it's official I will get something.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

The Mini would be perfect and there is already a class structure for them. Thanks Mark. We will put that option near the top.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:36 PM

I would prefer to get one of those for her.
Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.14 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.