R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene

Like Tree70Likes

Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default 2017/2018 WCICS Official Thread

Congrats to all the racers from our 26th Anniversary season! Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada, lol! As always, we'll again have the rules out MONTHS ahead of time, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

Firstly, a big thanks to last year's sponsors:

PROTOform: WCICS Title Sponsor
Motiv RC: WCICS Live Platinum Sponsor
Sweep Racing: TC Spec Tires
Great Hobbies: TC Stock Class
RC America/XRay: TC Mod Class
CRC: 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies: Tamiya Mini Class
Reedy: 12th Stock Class
Gripworks RC: F1 Class
Blinds Plus: CTA/GT Class
Catch 22 Media: Official Website and WCICS LIVE!!!
Best Western Hotels: Official Hotels
Discount Vehicle Rentals: Official Vehicle Rentals

Schedule

Kelowna is back! Karz has decided to focus on their indoor off-road (which is going great for them, and we wish them all the best), so Kelowna is back in permanently.

The very tentative schedule is below, and I'll be filling in the date confirmations when the remaining clubs have confirmation of their venue bookings.

NOTE: Every club could have venue booking issues, so the dates are just early estimates until it says CONFIRMED:

September 29-Oct 1st: Danny Buck-SarCar, Saskatoon, SK.-CONFIRMED
October 13-15th: Ian de la Salle-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB.-CONFIRMED
November TBA: Willy Lemm-PRCC, Penticton, BC-POSTPONED for 2017
November 24-26th: Earl Towson-Kelowna, BC-CONFIRMED
January 5-7th: Blake Bell-IROCC, Victoria, BC-CONFIRMED
February 2-4th: Tyson Schlechter-Fastraxx, Regina, SK
March 2-4th: Jason Mardon-TVRCRC, Kamloops, BC
April 6-8th: Kerry Nevatte-CarCar, Calgary, AB-CONFIRMED

I'm really happy to report almost of the club reps and the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series!

Huge thanks to the WCICS Exec Team for an outstanding year!:

Korgae Scales (Competition Director)
Luke Pittman (Social Media Director)

And to all the club reps and clubs that put on such great events! Great job guys! And most importantly to the racers!

Rules

Full rules will be posted on WCICS.ca website when they become official on Sept 1, but here's what was discussed and voted on at the AGM:

This season was our best yet, and with no major changes in technology, the ruleset is stabilizing. The new mains format was very well received, while it can be frustrating Sat night when the qualies are over, everyone loved the extra racing, and the rewards for consistency that the new format brings on Sunday.

1. We say goodbye to WGT. Lots of fond memories, but the registrations just weren't there.

2. As almost all the clubs will be on black carpet, we'll be going with just one compound, Sweep's new Black Carpet QTS 32.

3. Korgae will be creating a catalog of our favorite WCICS tracks, and we're hoping to move toward every city having their "signature" track, kind of like IIC, or F1 where you get to race the familiar "Victoria" layout every year. It'll take a while to shake out, but it's something we're working on.

4. This is more for info, with the rising popularity of the extremely high discharge and charge rates that some are using, while it's impossible to patrol the pits, we're going to add the normal ROAR battery temp check at the tech table. Quick and easy, the batteries can't be more than 5 deg F warmer than the chassis temp.

Weekend schedule will be the same as last season:

Friday: Setup, registration, and practice.
Saturday: 3 rounds of qualifying, (note: resort after EVERY round)
Sunday: Any Shootout/Deathmatch runs, then first round of A-mains, then 2 full rounds of mains.

The final qualifying order set Sat night after round 3 will be kept for all the mains on Sunday, no bump-ups.

That's about it for now, I'm off doing summer stuff; Marathon in Vancouver, already had 3 kart races, back into rock climbing, archery with my daughter, etc, so if you have any questions please ask your local club rep as I won't be online much. All the club reps were present and involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is a direct result of the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind! Last season started rough, but otherwise was exceptionally polite and considerate, we love it and want to keep the good feelings rolling!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 09-10-2017 at 03:02 PM.
IronRing Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Victoria's date is CONFIRMED:

January 5-7th 2018: IROCC, Victoria, BC

Thanks,
Blake
BCbud likes this.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With BC having 4 races, it's possible for them to never leave BC for a race, but still qualify for the championship points. That seems a little odd when the top 3 racers in each class may never race against each other.

Making it mandatory to travel out of province for at least one WCICS race should be considered as a rule in order to qualify for the championship points. Every other racer in Alberta/Saskatchewan already has to do that.

I won't bring up the lack of out of province support the two Saskatchewan WCICS races had this past season though...
(0000000000), irvinew and miha like this.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamLS View Post
With BC having 4 races, it's possible for them to never leave BC for a race, but still qualify for the championship points. That seems a little odd when the top 3 racers in each class may never race against each other.

Making it mandatory to travel out of province for at least one WCICS race should be considered as a rule in order to qualify for the championship points. Every other racer in Alberta/Saskatchewan already has to do that.

I won't bring up the lack of out of province support the two Saskatchewan WCICS races had this past season though...
I disagree with the proposed travel rule, it should be encouraged but not enforced.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing

Last edited by R3VoLuTiOn; 06-08-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: can't read
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

Talk to the province between us. lol.
lpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to big_ads

Well the thread made it almost 12 whole hours before the negativity started....
lpittman likes this.
big_ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ads View Post
Well the thread made it almost 12 whole hours before the negativity started....
Not really negative as I said what I believe is an issue, and proposed a solution for said issue? I'd just like to see more out of province racers at WCICS events.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Its been an issue dating way back before Wcics was outside of Alberta. Back when it was a 3 race series, Lethbridge was concerned that most racers from Edmonton couldn't make their race and vice versa. It came up again when Med Hat joined, then Regina, etc etc.

When Wcics became much larger, I personally had a hard time accepting that Wcics championships can be decided between racers who may only see each other once throughout the entire series, but really there isn't any alternative. Fact is money, time away from work, time away from family, are just a few things some of us cannot give up, or we have no choice in the matter (work or money for instance).

Cam, issue is if you force people under the rules to travel out of province in order to be included in the championship, you will probably see a reduction in attendance, not an increase. People who cannot commit to travel, but can commit to local races, will decide not to put in the effort to race at the local races, as they wont be eligible for the championship anyhow.
Korgae and big_ads like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
When Wcics became much larger, I personally had a hard time accepting that Wcics championships can be decided between racers who may only see each other once throughout the entire series, but really there isn't any alternative. Fact is money, time away from work, time away from family, are just a few things some of us cannot give up, or we have no choice in the matter (work or money for instance).

Cam, issue is if you force people under the rules to travel out of province in order to be included in the championship, you will probably see a reduction in attendance, not an increase. People who cannot commit to travel, but can commit to local races, will decide not to put in the effort to race at the local races, as they wont be eligible for the championship anyhow.
Aaron's sentiments here are exactly what we came up with after debating a potential force-travel-rule for an hour at the April AGM in Calgary. The unbalance is definitely not ideal but the majority of club reps did not feel that forcing people to travel outside of their means would be positive for the series.

Yes I am from BC, but I do generally make a couple of out-of-province events each year.

Blake
Korgae and (0000000000) like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Tech Master

Look back over the last 8 years and you'll see my vision for WCICS has always been "built a good series and people will want to come". It's never been to try to force anyone to travel. You don't have to look far to find examples of how that's a recipe for failure.

While the balance isn't ideal now, I can't magically create another club in Alberta or Saskatchewan; so it is what it is in Western Canada. Cam, I wish I could snap my fingers and change it, but I can't, and trying to force something on the racers isn't the answer. We're very lucky to have so many great clubs in WCICS, and Kelowna and Earl are amazing, we're so happy they want to join our little series!

As Blake said, we discussed it at length at the AGM, and in the end everyone believes in the WCICS vision of continuously improving the series so racers want to (not forced to) come and enjoy the racing!

Ask anyone what a race looked like 7yrs ago compared to today, we've come a long way, and I hope everyone is honestly proud of what we've all (clubs, volunteers, racers) worked hard to accomplish!

And yeah, a whole 12 hours, lol.

Josh
Korgae likes this.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:

As others have mentioned, this was debated at length at the AGM. If you want details of what was talked about, I have notes and can tell you all about it.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Tech Master

A reminder to guys to try and keep the negativity and debate off of the thread. We're in the off-season, and going back and forth over a forum isn't an efficient way of getting things sorted out. If you have questions, talk to your local rep, and they can bring it forward to the other reps and exec members for discussion.

For anyone racing in the series who doesn't know who their representative is or is in a club without a representative, I'd be more than happy to be the guy who answers your questions. I'm available through PM or on FB. Just shoot me a message.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Einsman

I just noticed that those at the calgary race earlier this year were given shirts. I was in attendance and did not receive one.
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsman View Post
I just noticed that those at the calgary race earlier this year were given shirts. I was in attendance and did not receive one.
not sure what shirts you are referring to, from a Calgary club level at our race no shirts were provided to anyone
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #15
Tech Master

Yeah, what Kerry said, what shirts?