R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene

Like Tree17Likes

Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default 2016/2017 WCICS Official Thread

Congrats to all the racers from our 25th Anniversary season, it was our best ever AGAIN with 8 races and over 1400 registrations!

Your WCICS team delivered on EVERY single promise! We had big plans for our Anniversary, and we delivered on all of them!
1. A new title sponsor in PROTOform! Huge thanks Eric Epp and everyone at PROTOform!
2. WCICS LIVE released! Huge thanks Catch 22 Media/Luke!
3. Special limited edition 25th Anniversary T-shirts handed out at Victoria and Calgary
4. Special logo'd 25th Anniversary Sweep 28 tires!

Already looking forward to another season of racing in Western Canada, lol! As always, we'll again have the rules out MONTHS ahead of time, giving racers lots of time to prepare for next season.

Firstly, a big thanks to last year's sponsors:

PROTOform: WCICS Title Sponsor
Sweep Racing: TC Spec Tires
Great Hobbies: TC Stock Class
Awesomatix: TC Mod Class
Novak RC: 12th Mod Class
ATD Hobbies: Tamiya Mini Class
Reedy: 12th Stock Class
Autotrim Design: F1 Class
CRC: WGT Class
Gravity RC: CTA/GT Class
Catch 22 Media: Official Website and WCICS LIVE!!!
Orion Safety: Official Safety Equipment
Best Western Hotels: Official Hotels
UPS Shipping: Official Shipper
Discount Vehicle Rentals: Official Vehicle Rentals

Schedule

Last year's schedule introduced Kelowna to the WCICS series while Karz took a breather. Huge thanks to Kelowna for hosting a great event! Karz is back and rested from their year at the Spa, and we look forward to racing in Airdrie again! This brings a better travel balance back of 3 BC races, 3 Alberta races, and 2 Saskatchewan races!

Last year marked the first time we held our first and last races in Sept and April, which evens the season out to 1 race per month, hopefully it made it easier for racers to plan their schedules without having races too close. Certainly the driving weather was great! The very tentative schedule is below, and I'll be filling in the date confirmations when the remaining clubs have confirmation of their venue bookings.

NOTE: Every club could have venue booking issues, so the dates are just early estimates until it says CONFIRMED:

September Sept 23-25th: Danny Buck-SarCar, Saskatoon, SK-CONFIRMED!
October 14-16th: Anthony Hobbs-PRCC, Penticton, BC-CONFIRMED!
November 11-13th: Scott West-Karz, Cochrane, AB-CONFIRMED! NOTE: THE EDMONTON AND AIRDRIE DATES ARE SWAPPED! As Edmonton had trouble with booking their venue, Karz stepped up and switched dates to help them out. Thanks Karz!
December 2-4th: Joe Levesque-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB-CONFIMRED!
January 6-8th: Blake Bell-IROCC, Victoria, BC-CONFIMRED!
February 3-5th: Tyson Schlechter-Fastraxx, Regina, SK
March 3-5th: Jason Mardon-TVRCRC, Kamloops, BC-CONFIRMED!
April 7-9th: Kerry Nevatte-CarCar, Calgary, AB-CONFIRMED!

I'm really happy to report almost of the club reps and the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series! The only Rep changes are Danny Buck for Saskatoon and Tyson Schlechter for Regina. The WCICS Exec terms were unanimously voted by the reps to be extended from 1yr terms to 3yr terms; thanks again for your (literal) votes of confidence!

Huge thanks to the WCICS Exec Team for an outstanding year!:

Korgae Scales (Competition Director)
Luke Pittman (Social Media Director)

And to all the club reps and clubs that put on such great events! Great job guys! And most importantly to the racers!

Rules

Full rules posted on WCICS.ca website:

http://www.wcics.ca/pdfs/2016-2017-WCICS-Rules.pdf

This season was our best yet, and with no major changes in technology, the ruleset is stabilizing. So only 2 changes for this season (but one of them is a biggie!):

1. USGT will be added to CTA/GT. To keep the CTA & USGT equal it will use the same 21.5 motor (I believe this is specifically called USGT Big Block in the US). The rules will be published in the rule book which will be, as always, out by Sept 1 at the latest (although we're 4 years in a row being out well ahead of time).

2. (and this is the big news!) Ready for 2X the racing? The format is changing to 3 rounds of qualifying on Saturday, then Double mains on Sunday! (Triple for the A’s). To keep to approximately 5 rounds, the new weekend format will be:

Friday: Setup, registration, and practice.
Saturday: 3 rounds of qualifying, (note: resort after EVERY round)
Sunday: Any Shootout/Deathmatch runs, then first round of A-mains, then 2 full rounds of mains.

The final qualifying order set Sat night after round 3 will be kept for all the mains on Sunday, no bump-ups.

The main drivers of this decision were:

At least doubles the amount of racing you get in a weekend! It improves the balance from our current 20% racing/80% qualifying, to 40% racing/60% qualifying (50%/50% for the A-mains).

UPDATE: Final version of mains and schedule is below. The rules have been finalised by the reps, and are on the WCICS.ca website (link above-they're too big to post on RCTech anymore).

The finishing order will be your combined position from both mains (best 2 for AAA's). So finishing your main will be very important each time. Experience shows that this gives an incentive for drivers to run cleaner, rather than the single shot mains we have now where some approach it with a win or die style. Since every main counts, driving smooth in every main is important!

Sunday Mains
The new mains format will be Double mains for all classes, except Triple A mains for the A-mains.

WCICS Mains will follow ROAR Points system with the following changes:

Minimum driver count for a main can be as low as 8, as decided by the RD and/or club WCICS Rep based on track layout and drivers stand size.

A-mains will be AAA even if there is only 1 heat in that class.

Points awarded for finishing order is as per current RC Scoring Pro programming.

As per the ROAR points system, the finishing order is decided based on the following criteria and tie-breakers, listed in order of priority:

1. Points system of combined results of both mains (best 2 for triple mains)
2. Combined total time of both mains (best 2 for triple mains)
3. Single best main laps/time result

Sunday Schedule
1. Any Wildcard/Deathmatch races.
2. First round of the A-mains.
3. Full mains as per normal, classes in the same order as qualifying, starting at the lowest main in the class and working up to the second round of A-mains.
4. Last round of mains as per normal, finishing with the third round of A-mains.

Aug 31 Update:

Today ROAR announced they're changing the TC weight from 1380g down to 1350g. The way our rule process works is we take the ROAR rules as of Sept 1, and freeze them for our season. So as of Sept 1, the TC weight is 1350g for WCICS. There's almost a month before the first race, so lots of time to adjust.

Sept 27 Update:

NOTE THE EDMONTON AND AIRDRIE DATES ARE SWAPPED

November 11-13th: Scott West-Karz, Cochrane, AB-CONFIRMED! Note, as Edmonton had trouble with booking their venue, Karz stepped up and switched dates to help them out. Thanks Karz!
December 2-4th: Joe Levesque-NASCAR, Edmonton, AB-CONFIMRED!

That's about it for now, I'm off doing summer stuff; Tri's, kart racing (we got a new track built!) and archery with my daughter, so if you have any questions please ask your local club rep as I won't be online much. All the club reps were present and involved in the decisions in the meeting, and can give you any details.

As always, this is a non-profit series, and everything here is a direct result of the hard work of all the volunteers (reps, RD's, tech, WCICS Exec, WCICS Directors, club exec, etc). If you have comments, keep it in mind and be kind! Last season started rough, but otherwise was exceptionally polite and considerate, we love it and want to keep the good feelings rolling!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 10-20-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: ROAR TC Weight Change
IronRing Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm looking forward to the changes for next year, especially the combined CTA/USGT class. I really think this will be a huge class as there will be a lot more body options, making the field look a little different, rather than a grid full of J71's!
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

you can bet im running cta/usgt!

Thanks reps!

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post

Thanks reps!
Want me to start booking for saskatoon? I hear the Confederation Inn has some good deals.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oh god dont book there!!! HOOD YO!!!!

Nick K
Old 04-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post

Thanks reps!
Im in too!

Nick K
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Awesome! Very happy with the format change! Keep up the good work guys!
Lord_ArieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I like running the USGT, lots of fun!! Love the new format, even for the slower guys like myself. Great job with the WCICS live, it was nice to watch and fallow it even tough I wasn't there. I hope to make more races next year!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRing Racing View Post
Congrats to all the racers from our 25th Anniversary season, it was our best ever AGAIN with 8 races and over 1400 registrations!

Your WCICS team delivered on EVERY single promise! We had big plans for our Anniversary, and we delivered on all of them!
1. A new title sponsor in PROTOform! Huge thanks Eric Epp and everyone at PROTOform!
2. WCICS LIVE released! Huge thanks Catch 22 Media/Luke!
3. Special limited edition 25th Anniversary T-shirts handed out at Victoria and Calgary
4. Special logo'd 25th Anniversary Sweep 28 tires!

I'm really happy to report almost of the club reps and the WCICS Exec continue unchanged into this new season, which is great and I think shows how well everything is working in this series! The only Rep changes are Danny Buck for Saskatoon and Tyson Schlechter for Regina. The WCICS Exec terms were unanimously voted by the reps to be extended from 1yr terms to 3yr terms; thanks again for your (literal) votes of confidence!

Huge thanks to the WCICS Exec Team for an outstanding year!:

Korgae Scales (Competition Director)
Luke Pittman (Social Media Director)

And to all the club reps and clubs that put on such great events! Great job guys! And most importantly to the racers!

Have a great summer and we'll see you in September for some great RC racing!

Josh

Just to add to that, I want to personally thank the reps and other exec's as well for an amazing season, but I want to really spotlight what a great leader we have in our president, Josh Carter. The hard work he has done behind the scenes with the series is almost a day job if you count the hours he puts into fine tuning the series. Every time I talk to him I am impressed with what he has either got going on or is working on. The leadership he has shown over the years will pave the way for WCICS to succeed in the future.

A very special thanks also goes out to Luke Pittman, He is always open to listening to idea's to improve the series. What he has created with WCICS live is an achievement that will change RC racing for the better. It's hard to find people like Luke he seems to always find a positive in anything and remains very level headed, an another great asset to WCICS.

I also want to thank the Kelowna club for putting on a stellar event with Earl in the captains chair as the WCICS rep. It is a difficult spot to be in for a growing club with big shoes to fill, they did a fine job and even though they will not host a WCICS race next year, Any trophy race they do hold is worth while to add to the race calendar. As a bonus, Earl really stepped up and contributed so much to the series, he offered great idea's, amazing insight and wisdom to some times difficult and complex senerio's.

It's truly a pleasure to be part of WCICS and to work with all the great reps that that make up the series. As always thank you for all you do making this series great.

Looking forward to the 1st race already, the new format and classes have already created a buzz.

Korgae
Old 04-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Excited for the new format but will the mains be run back to back or basically like two heads up rounds on sunday instead of just the one?
Going to try to make some races this year. all my practice is meaningless if only to hermit at home =(
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to Giuseppe
Default Mains

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Excited for the new format but will the mains be run back to back or basically like two heads up rounds on sunday instead of just the one?
Going to try to make some races this year. all my practice is meaningless if only to hermit at home =(
Multiple rounds of mains, not back to back. The likely format will be the following (this is an example, but likely the best way to run them):

A1 heats for all classes (Mini A, CTA/USGT A, WGT A, etc etc)
B1, C1, D1 etc. Heats for all classes. (Mini D, C B, Stock C, B etc. etc.)
A2 heats for all classes
B2, C2, D2 etc Heats
A3 heats

Should be a refreshing change and allow drivers to recoup from a not so great main. The WCICS Reps will work on any details through the summer and make sure everyone is on the same page for Leg 1.
WCICS Club Rep

Last edited by Giuseppe; 04-06-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: additional.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Looking forward to it. Fingers crossed i can save enough budget for 1/3/5/7/8
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgae View Post
Just to add to that, I want to personally thank the reps and other exec's as well for an amazing season, but I want to really spotlight what a great leader we have in our president, Josh Carter. The hard work he has done behind the scenes with the series is almost a day job if you count the hours he puts into fine tuning the series. Every time I talk to him I am impressed with what he has either got going on or is working on. The leadership he has shown over the years will pave the way for WCICS to succeed in the future.

A very special thanks also goes out to Luke Pittman, He is always open to listening to idea's to improve the series. What he has created with WCICS live is an achievement that will change RC racing for the better. It's hard to find people like Luke he seems to always find a positive in anything and remains very level headed, an another great asset to WCICS.

I also want to thank the Kelowna club for putting on a stellar event with Earl in the captains chair as the WCICS rep. It is a difficult spot to be in for a growing club with big shoes to fill, they did a fine job and even though they will not host a WCICS race next year, Any trophy race they do hold is worth while to add to the race calendar. As a bonus, Earl really stepped up and contributed so much to the series, he offered great idea's, amazing insight and wisdom to some times difficult and complex senerio's.

It's truly a pleasure to be part of WCICS and to work with all the great reps that that make up the series. As always thank you for all you do making this series great.

Looking forward to the 1st race already, the new format and classes have already created a buzz.

Korgae
Well said Korgae,

thanks to everyone for an excellent season.

Vice President, KARZ.ca
WCICS Rep - Karz RC Club
hprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I definitely have to thanks WCICS and its workers for giving us all a fun and competitive place to race for yet another year!

All club reps did an amazing job putting together top-tier events again this year, and it's validated by the steady increase in turnout. As one of those reps myself, I can say that it's a fair bit of work and stress, but ultimately very rewarding when we're seeing such great support and recognition for our series.

Luke Pittman has received a few shout outs here which are well deserved. In truth though, Luke has probably spent 10x the amount of time enhancing and promoting WCICS than anyone could believe. The WCICS Live tool was a ground up development effort involving many hundreds of hours building, testing, debugging, responding to user feedback, and repeat.... I witnessed him iterate over this cycle many times and there were moments that would have caused most people to quit. Why cause stress over a volunteer project? Luke didn't quit and we ended up with an amazing tool that provides value to the racers, the organizers, and the observers. A job very well done! Oh, and while doing all that he also secured a title sponsor in PROTOform, and networked with every RC enthusiast that would listen to him between Orlando and Victoria. Thank you Luke!

Finally, Josh Carter and his steady leadership: what a thankless job. Besides coordinating the club reps, managing sponsors, managing and financing tires, managing TShirts, writing race reports, and dealing with the current "hot issue", Josh really earns his keep at the annual AGM in Calgary. Here, eight club representatives, and the series executives mull over the issues at hand for the coming season, combining feedback from the eight corners of the series, and trying to make the best decisions given many different opinions. This meeting usually runs between 9PM and 11PM after a day of qualifying or a day of practice, when most people want to be at the restaurant or in bed. Well, I must say that Josh is a consummate professional in this meeting, year after year. The way he can listen to eight opinions and boil it down to the core issues (with feedback from executives) is unparalleled. You can see that he absolutely wants the best for the series and that he'll take the time to make sure every issue is well thought out (while he takes his own minutes!). At the end of the meeting, WCICS has its new direction for the coming year and its track record shows that the direction is always positive! Thank you Josh for your excellent volunteer service - keep up the great work!

Blake
Old 04-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #15
Tech Master

I just read the posts, wow, I actually got a bit teary eyed! Thank you so much!

What a wonderful feeling to start off the season with.

Love you guys!

Josh
IronRing Racing is offline   Reply With Quote