Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds good Rob.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Trophies!

Hi all:

Well today some great progress has been made in the 2003 Western Canadian Championship trophy area.

It looks like there will be 7 classes to be won for the Championships.

(* means) This class has been sponsored*

1. 1/8 Gas Buggy *
2. 1/10 Gas Truck*
3. T Maxx
4. Mod Truck
5. Stock Truck
6. Mod Buggy
7. Stock Buggy

A trophy Cost for each class will be approximately $150.00.

Rob Schneider from Kelowna has graciously donated to pay the cost for the 1/8 Gas Buggy Class Championship Trophy (cup) and take home trophy and Roger Brown from Race Tech Hobbies has done the same as well for the 1/10 Gas Truck class.

Thankyou very much guys, Its great to have you believe and participate in this endeavour for racing in Western Canada. This means that it's a great help take the brunt of the costs away from the clubs to help them put on better individual races for all.

There are 5 classes left so if any others want to help sponsor its on a first come first served basis. I will be in touch with other hobby shops in BC and Alta to help with sponsorship of the remaining 5 classes. All participating businesses will receive a receipt for advertisement/tax purposes.

I will keep all updated as to who sponsors the remaining classes.

I will have more info on the trophies (cups) next week as to looks and size.

If you need to contact me I'm Don Ropcean at:

[email protected]

Old 10-11-2002, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Folks - I will donate an awesome trophy to the best 1/8 and 1/10 gas rookies. Best rookie will be based on points. Rookie means "first season racing in that class."

Also - my sponsor GS will provide prizes for all the races and really good prizes for the Championship race. I've sent the request and should know what those prizes are soon.

Lindon from Hobby Wholesale will also provide prizes and my be interested in donating funds/trophies for some advertising at the Alberta races.

I'll be spending a day on getting a Championships Rulebook together this weekend and post it somewhere for everyone to provide feedback. It will have simple rule adopted from the Roar car speacs, the points system and most of the stuff we have talked about here

Chris.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Default Chris!

Way to go! The more the merrier! I'll be in touch to the Hobby Shops in both provinces for Championship Trophy sponsorship. I also was in touch with Hobby Wholesale yesterday regarding this.
Is there a racer parcipitating LHS in Red Deer that I could contact?
I'll be in touch with Calgary shops today.....

Old 10-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Default Latest trophy sponsorship update!

Hi all:

Just to keep all informed, Jim from PM Hobbycraft in Calgary (with Rodney's help) has also graciously sponsored the 2WD Mod Class for the Western Canadian Championships....

more on the way...

Old 10-15-2002, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Default Qualifying Times For Gas!

What would you all think about having 7 minute qualifiers for the gas classes? If all the mechanics was done on your vehicles to do what was needed so that they can/would finish a 7 minute qualifier then there would really be no need to tech tanks and worry about the losi tank being larger than the ae tank or being oversize. The 1/8 class could also add some fuel line to be able to run 7 minutes if needed. This way it should not make any difference about fuel pit stops in the mains as everyone can at least run 7 minutes. Sounds like a grand idea to me and easy on teching......

What say you all....

Old 10-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

no way 5 min is fine how cares about tech in qual tech the mains and worry about tank sizes then
Old 10-15-2002, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

There is a lot of input on the racing series, and I have to say that it sounds pretty awesome! I cant wait til next year. I hope to be running a wallet gobbling (initial cost) kyosho Inferno 7.5 buggy. Should be a very enjoyable year of racing. Hope to make as many races as possible. Looking forward to meeting fellow 1/8th buggy guys from western Canada. See ya all soon.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don - I'm cool with 7 min qualifiers but that doesn't stop the need for tech inspection on the tank. I ran 16 mins on a tank in Calgary (totally 100% legal) and I know some people thought I was running 10 feet of fuel tubing. With extra tubing I could have made 1 less stop... I have no idea why my mileage was so good - the engine was cool... and the power was insane

Making 1 less stop can make a big difference in a race ... Maybe we can simplify the tech inspection to unmodified stock tanks + x amount of fuel tubing? (that still makes the Kyosho fuel filter a pain since it is huge HA HA.)

... its a pretty easy thing to tech and adjust even using a graduated cylinder (just add plastic parts to the tank to reduce volume)

What do other people think?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can vouch for Chris on that 16 min tank in calgary. I did 15.5 mins and Steve did 15mins flat on a tank. To me 7.5-8.5 mins seem to be the norm at tracks in Edmonton and Red Deer.

A 5 min qual is plenty. I find it hard enough to find somebody to pit for me in a 40 min main. With a 7 min qualifier now I need someone to top me up before I start the race, were as I could do it myself because I know my car was capable of 7+ mins on a tank. And what would a extra 2 mins prove? Were all racing against the clock during qual's, the real show down is the main.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Default Fuel tanks

Chris:

The kyosho tank is 121cc. That is why you see many racers use 2 filters to bring it up close to 125cc roar rule. I ran over 7.5 with (2 filters) minutes on a few stops in Kelowna. For Calgary at 2500' above sea level you run leaner so 10 minutes was ok. I was getting around 9 minutes in Calgary myself.

I just thought that making it relatively possible without going over board with 10' of fuel line (maybe an extra 6-10 inches) everyone would be able to get in 7 minutes. That way in about a 40 minute or so race almost all will have to pit at least 5 times with good throttle control and 6 if your a madman. LOL! this is mainly for 1/8 though as most 1/10 trucks were in the 8 minute range anyway. Michael got 8.5 in Calgary detuned at 185* so he could find traction with the XXXNT. The losi tank I believe is 83cc and the ae is 78cc with the roar rule at 75cc..

Besides, its an extra bit of track time....
Old 10-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think we should bother teching the fuel tanks at all. There is probrobly more of a mileage difference as result motor choice and needle set up than there is as a result of tank size. I still think that less rules that we have to enforce the better. The last two races I went to had no tech and the racing was great. I don't think any of the finishes came down to who had the extra few cc's of fuel. Let's tech for stock motors(elec) Throttle return springs on the gas cars, And tire size for the monster trucks. I say leave the scales,beakers, and measuring boxes in storage.
If it looks like it's becoming a problem we can address it later.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Down here at sea level sometimes making 5.5 min can be a pain so I would say stick with 5 min and worry about tank inspections if there is something drastically different.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok - I agree no fuel tank testing unless someone runs a lot longer between stops in the main... and even then it would have to be clear that they cheated (i.e. a 140cc capacity or something like that.) As long as it is a the tank that came with the kit and they haven't clearly added a whole bunch of fuel tubing/filerts it should be fine.

What about dimensions of the car - noone probably cares for gas but what about electric? Do we need to weigh the electric cars?

I agree on the stock motors... but in my experience it is a lot of work to tech them (time-wise) ... do we want to just tech the top-3?

Do we just want to tech the top-3 in general? (except of course for return springs which everyone should be required to have this year.)
Old 10-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Leave everyone subject to tech at any time and top three in all classes report to tech after run for casual inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.