Wiki Posts
Search

Need your advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Need your advice!

A christian camp in central Alberta is setting up a Slash camp and I need your input on which charger to purchase. Seems trivial but when funds are low and reliabilty needs to be high them it is important.

They will for the most part be using NiMh batteries but could in the future move to lipo.

Also if someone could train or enlighten me on how to build batteries that would be great.

FYI they have a larger covered indoor track in the works and an outdoor track as well. I can see in the future an invitational coming!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you require AC power or is it ok if the charger is DC only?

Since you will be wanting to charge a bunch at a time, maybe something like a Hitec X4. It's DC only, but it can charge 4 batts at once, nimh AND lipo, and is less than 4x the cost of even the cheapest nickel-only chargers.

As for [nimh] battery building, the basic idea is get some cells, get some bars and get some wire. For the bars, something like this: http://www.wsdeans.com/products/bars/index.html is usually used along with a jig (http://www.rcplanet.com/Battery_Assm_Jig_p/vnr1599.htm) to hold them while you solder. Get it right the first time because you don't really get a second chance with these bars. The reason for that is that since the cell is such a massive heat sink, it takes a LOT to melt the solder once it's set (and it will set fast). This will give you batteries in this sort of side-by-side configuration: http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/...NT/L16006D.jpg

If you want them end-to-end (http://www.rcplanet.com/v/vspfiles/p...ACE33006-2.jpg) you have your work cut out for you, since the proper way to attach cells like this is to weld them and I'm not sure how that's done.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the advice and yes 110 is available.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

I'm curious about where this camp is and when you'll have the slash part set up.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mr DNF pm. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Funds won't be a problem if you open up that indoor track to the public every weekend and hold races. Seriously.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh I know that!

The camp is close to Olds, Alberta
Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Pak assembly

All the above is good info. If your going to do your own packs and its going to be several of them I would recommend the purchase of the BIG handled chisel tip soldering iron from Canadian Tire, rated at 80 watts, I think its something like 20 dollars but its worth it as it heat transfers really well and fast. Its very big so you probably won't use it for anything else but battery assembly but its worth it.

We also have a individual that is doing the same thing here in Saskatchewan so I would join the http://www.skoffroad.ca/ site and you could ask him all the things they did to get up and running, equipment pros and cons etc.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Awesome thanks bunches!!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile Re Charger's

If you are starting out with NIMH cells, How many of us have older chargers that could be donated to the cause, I for one have a couple!!!!!

BE
TJ