Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2011/2012 WCICS Official Thread >

2011/2012 WCICS Official Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011/2012 WCICS Official Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Default 2011/2012 WCICS Official Thread

First, a fond farewell to the 2010/2011 WCICS: A big thanks for everyone that made last season's WCICS such a success!

Member Races: Thanks to all the clubs, everyone put on a great race, put in tons of work, and every club has a great, unique, track and feel. That's why we travel, to experience different venues. See you all next year!

WCICS Reps: Thanks to the club WCICS reps: Edmonton: Ian and Dale, Regina: Kevin, Calgary: Me, Lethbridge: Tom & Dave. The rules were out early, were clear, and we stuck to our guns. I think the clear direction paid off (helped by minimal technology changes), as the thread postings and personal discussion at the races was the most positive of any year I can remember.
We're comitted to the same timeline for 2012, with clear rules, and as has been discussed, hopefully an expanded series.

Calgary WCICS organizing members: Thanks for all the work, we worked together well and put on another great show! Ivan, Eddy, Mike, myself, the show ran just as well oiled as ever!

Race Director: Scott, certainly the hardest job of the weekend, thanks for keeping everything running smoothly. Wow, you've allready got the results posted. I thought I could hold off the memory of losing the TC Stock lead for a little longer, but it's right there in front of me now. lol. Seriously, great job!

Sponsors: Canwest RC, PM, Model Land. Thanks for the resources allowing us to make the race even better. It's one of the best races around, and you guys make it possible!

RACERS!!! Of course, thanks to everyone, without all the racers we wouldn't have such great places to go have fun!

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 03-14-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Looking forward to the next great season of racing!

At this time, the reps are the same:

Calgary: Josh Carter
Edmonton: Ian de la Salle, Dale Ruptash
Regina: Kevin Phillips
Lethbridge: Tom Tilleman, Dave Cole

We met in Calgary, below are some early results so people have time for schedule, vacation, equipment planning.

Rules: We'll work on the same schedule as last year, rule set by Sept 1. Remember, it's based almost 100% on the ROAR rules as of Sept 1, 2012, so if you're wondering what weight to build your car to, motors, etc, that's the place to look. As far as we're aware, there are no major changes from the currently published 2012 ROAR rules.

Tamiya Mini: At Calgary, this was the biggest class, almost 40 mini's! The single biggest issue is still the variability of the silver can motors. So to address that, next year we'll run both the current silver cans, as well as a brushless system. The new system is to be determined, there's testing currently underway to decide the best combination. We're working on getting a supplier to step up, and sponsor the class, and provide a spec ESC/Motor combination. This way the cost should be minimal, $60 range for the ESC AND Motor combination. But at this point, there's still lots of work in testing and finding a good company to partner with.

We will run 2 points series, one for silver can, the other for brushless, as we can't guarantee that the systems will be exactly the same speed, and in truth we're targeting the new system to be about the speed of a NORMAL silver can, which would mean slower than "others", because Mini (and VTA) are supposed to be the entry classes. With the motors and new chassis, they're currently only a half second off the back end off the TC classes! So to encourage people to go brushless sooner rather than later (basically learning a lesson from the WGT 4 cell to 1S issue), we will have 2 points series in Tamiya Mini, silver can and brushless. They will be run together, then at the end of the mains, you will be tech'd and marked down for whatever class motor you are running. Then for the 2012/2013 season the plan is to go completely brushless.

Classes: The classes will remain the same. VTA will stay in Touring GT, as the remaining cars in Touring GT may not be enough to make a class. We are discussing having 2 points championships though for Touring GT, one for VTA, another for the rest, similiar to the Tamiya Mini class.

Expanded Series: As previously announced we're working on an expanded series.

I posted it last month so that people would have the chance to talk to me at the Calgary WCICS finals, but it's really still in the very beginning stages, so I don't have a lot of answers yet.

Tentative schedule, if the stars align, everything falls into place, all the clubs get together, etc, is approximately:

UPDATED Oct 18th
October 14-16th: The Big Chill, Chilliwack, BC
November 25-27th: NASCAR, Edmonton, AB
December 2-4th: Karz, Airdrie, AB
January 6-8th: Victoria, BC
January 27-29th: Lethbridge RC, Lethbridge, AB
February Mid: Fastraxx, Regina, SK
March Early to mid: CarCar, Calgary, AB

UPDATED Dec 30th:
January 6-8th Victoria (confirmed)
January 27-29th Lethbridge (confirmed)
February 17-19th Regina (that's what I was told but not 100% confirmed yet!)
March 30-April 1st Carcar Calgary (confirmed...almost)

There's one more club I'm currently talking to, working on a date, etc. Given the winter schedule of Oct to March, this is certainly as many races as we can fit in. We may put one of the existing or any additional races in Sept or April, but the target is one per month.

Drops: I haven't had a chance to check, but I believe the rule is 25% drops rounded up. So now we have 4 races, that's 1 drop. At 5 it's still 1 drop, at 6-9 races it's 2 drops, etc. Still need to verify.

As things become firmed up, I'll post up here.

Josh

Last edited by IronRing Racing; 12-30-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Josh whats the reason for having the Karz race in Airdrie? Airdrie dont have a club?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will silver can GT cars still be a class or is it just VTA next year?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Will silver can GT cars still be a class or is it just VTA next year?
Classes: The classes will remain the same. VTA will stay in Touring GT, as the remaining cars in Touring GT may not be enough to make a class. We are discussing having 2 points championships though for Touring GT, one for VTA, another for the rest, similiar to the Tamiya Mini class.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I would love to race mini again if it goes to a brushless system.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My suggestion for Tamiya Mini: make it simple!
If we're targetting $60 for a brushless spec motor/esc combo through a partner deal, get some agreement with the major Mini focused racing clubs, then write that into the class spec and be done with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not that I raced at all this year but making 6 races a year will be difficult for quite a few people I would imagine. Especially in December and early January.
Suggestion would be make one race out of province a mandatory race and 2 in your home province. But this only works for the Alberta guys. there will not be a perfect system by any means but 7 races in 5 months will be a tough schedule.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
My suggestion for Tamiya Mini: make it simple!
If we're targetting $60 for a brushless spec motor/esc combo through a partner deal, get some agreement with the major Mini focused racing clubs, then write that into the class spec and be done with it.
Karz have been testing combos for a while now, and have the lead on what we go with, they have done some amazing leg work on speaking to manufacturers etc to find us the best deal, and it will be a one spec combo class, Im really looking forward to it.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
I read that too Ken, but I wanted to clarify since I heard a lot of talk about the GT class not returning next year.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Should we have some conversation about a "reliable" supplier for our TC spec tire? Having to beg for leftover tires at WCICS events is not cool!
Any thoughts??
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
Should we have some conversation about a "reliable" supplier for our TC spec tire? Having to beg for leftover tires at WCICS events is not cool!
Any thoughts??
From the point of view of a guy that like to hit the boards..

The new rims on the Jaco's suck. I had to replace one tire because of a broken rim before my main and at the end of the main I had two other tires with broken rims.. Total 3 tires with broken rims.. This never happened with the other spoked rims.

Don't know if anyone else experienced this, but maybe it's time to look at something different. I hear the sweep tires are really good.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
If there isn't enough cars in TGT, get rid of it and finally make it a class that actually has some rules like VTA.

Its always stated that the WCIC has rules structure in place early into the season so no one has to scramble to get going, except TGT, as it has no rules. At least put a weight limit on it, but I'd rather see it gone.

Mini has turned into a lower TC class where you have to have the newest one to compete, and with the amount of bling and the level of some of the drivers in that class, its pretty much made that a non new guy class.

I had 2 broken tires as well, both on the back of the car and I have no idea how it happened without breaking some other components, very weird. The good news is that I hear JACO will be going back to the original wheel soon, it was a supplier issue.

Hopefully the products we run aren't coming out of Japan as I think its going to be a while before they get back on line after last weeks earthquake.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
Any thoughts??

Your comments are insulting and 100% false.. 1st- I always ask the host track how many tires the event wants and then I deliver them free of charge. This is done with a guess by both myself and the host club based on the previous event and has been bang on everytime.. No event has EVER been short on tires.. Infact every event has had sets left over, I left with 11 sets yesterday so what are you talking about exactly?

Sorry to call you out Jim but you had ample opportunity to speak with me during the event and NOT ONCE did you say anything about the tires..

The Spec is JACO tires and that is what we ran on, the same tires mounted on Yokomo wheels that Snowbirds and every other major race has ran on this year.

This has been covered numerous times in the main forum about the supplier of the spoke wheel having production issues and forcing JACO to mount on a another wheel while the production problem was solved. End of March is when JACO expects to have the spoke wheel back in production.

I understand some racers broke wheels, it sucks but to blame the wheel is a bit over the top.. The track was challenging and very high speed, this forced people to drive hard and when that happens things break... Could be a part on the car or... the wheel...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor

The new rims on the Jaco's suck. I had to replace one tire because of a broken rim before my main and at the end of the main I had two other tires with broken rims.. Total 3 tires with broken rims.. This never happened with the other spoked rims.
C my post to Jim this is not a NEW wheel. JACO was forced to use what was availalbe or no race this year ( both the USA or Canada) would have had tires to run on.

We will be back to the regular wheel ASAP.

For anyone that has any questions about wheels and tires at a event come see me.. I am always willing to give answers and share info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.