Search

Overgeared Racing Winter Season Racing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robl08
Gord or Chris how much is "MORE" if u just show up?
And what time can you run to?

Thanks
It's $10 for practice on Friday if you don't help set up. Possibly less if you help set up. If there is enough time for any practice with the late opening tonight.....
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

On my way to the Church....see ya in a bit....
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok thanks, what time are doors open tomorrow?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Addict

WOW ...Track is up in no time flat and Vacuumed.....I figured we'd get a handful of helpers.....but 20 + guys is AMAZING.....Doors open in the morning @ 9AM Drivers Meeting @ 11AM....Racing By 11:30..Should be EPIC..I gota work at 7am so See ya round 4 o'clock for the Mains.......AMAZING...just sayin'
Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What a great day of racing. I hope everyone had fun, time for practices and breaks.
A lot of close racing between all the classes that ran today. We seen the minis, F1, open mod, 17.5 stk and 12th scale... I must say everyone of them were awesome.

Also showed up were a lot of newer guys and veteran guys. It's great to see all of you. Thanks to everyone that had stayed and help out tear down.
Now it's time for me to hit the sack. Been a long day. Until then see you all in 2 weeks.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good day of racing, had fun, very helpful and friendly people
Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chrisman
What a great day of racing. I hope everyone had fun, time for practices and breaks.
A lot of close racing between all the classes that ran today. We seen the minis, F1, open mod, 17.5 stk and 12th scale... I must say everyone of them were awesome.

Also showed up were a lot of newer guys and veteran guys. It's great to see all of you. Thanks to everyone that had stayed and help out tear down.
Now it's time for me to hit the sack. Been a long day. Until then see you all in 2 weeks.
oh and dont forget the people that stayed late setting up the track, a big thanks to them too without them early practice time will not have been possible!!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Brushless Mini

During practice time yesterday I had a brushless motor in my Mini and got a lot of people to try it. It seems as though everybody liked it. This motor+ESC combo has been the standard for Mini racing in Australia for a few years now (read about it on rc-mini.net), and they've been really happy with the consistency of these motors. They give about the performance of a black can, not overpowering, just a little quicker than the silver can. The motor+ESC costs $70.60 US shipped to the US, so the price is right.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the motor and the ESC.

I think it would be great to start racing Minis with this motor+ESC combo in club races. It is about time that Minis enjoyed the benefits we now take for granted with brushless motors in TC and pan car classes. (Keep your brushed ESC for use with handout silver can motors in TCS races, though!)

Several people asked me where to buy this motor+ESC combo, so here's the information.

The combo is marketed by HobbyWing as "EZRUN". The motor is called a "13T 3650M" and the ESC is simply called their 35A ESC. For a typical product page for the combo, see

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html

hobbypartz.com (the link above) is the only US retailer I've come across that sells the EZRUN combos. The other option is EBay. The EBay query "EZRUN 13T 35A" returns several HK shops selling the EZRUN combos.

The combo includes a programmer box for the ESC. The programming is very basic: no "boost" or "turbo" or anything like that. You set the timing (this is a sensorless motor), drag brake, stuff like that. The programmer is just a convenience; you can do the same things more slowly by pushing buttons on the ESC. I've used the programmer exactly once.

The ESC has a fan. I removed it so the ESC would fit inside my M03 chassis. The ESC does not get hot. The motor doesn't get very hot, either. It should last approximately forever.

You might ask, why this motor and not a ROAR brushless motor? Apart from cost, the problem is that the ROAR motor with the right power output is a 21.5. The K/V of a 21.5 is about 1800, and with the fixed gearing on a Mini that is *way* too slow, much slower than a silver can. The EZRUN motors have 380-size internals in a 540-size package, so the 13T EZRUN motor has a K/V of 3000 but nowhere near the power of a ROAR 13.5T motor. This really is the perfect motor for the Mini.
Attached Thumbnails Overgeared Racing Winter Season Racing.-motor-detail.jpg   Overgeared Racing Winter Season Racing.-esc-detail.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

I'm interested in trying out the brushless, if it has the added benefit of stopping people from cheating/whining about cheating or suspected cheating, it's a win all around.

As mentioned, it's been the norm in Australia for ages, and they have a huge mini scene.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default brushless

Well, my 2c is that if you guys allow for this, we should have 2 classes for the mini then. The stock, for the newbies at minimal costs. This is supposed to be an entry class for newbies (myself) new to the sport w/minimal costs and have fun.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dmakrc
Well, my 2c is that if you guys allow for this, we should have 2 classes for the mini then. The stock, for the newbies at minimal costs. This is supposed to be an entry class for newbies (myself) new to the sport w/minimal costs and have fun.
I kind of agree with you, but what you'll find is that there won't be many people in the silvercan class after a few meets. I went through it in the Stock-Spec Slash class in offroad a few years ago, as soon as a mod class opened up, stock was a ghost town.

At ~$70 for a brushless combo, you're still looking at very low cost racing, and by all accounts the speeds will not be going up so far that they won't be newbie friendly.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

i strongly agree with this bl idea. however, i found that this motor looks EXACTLY the same between 9T and 13t.... so we wouldnt know if the person is running 13t or 9t withought openning the can. is there any suggestion to this downfall?
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dmakrc
My Thoughts......
I would have to agree with you here dmakrc
I originaly got into this class because it was cheap and fun - now you want to add extra expenses on top of this. You say the expense is another $70 but I would need to ship to Canada so the cost then goes up to $80+. How about the new people who are just getting into this hobby - they go out and buy a fairly cheap RTR mini kit now you have to tell them to tack on another $80+ if they want to race.

There is also the fact that I have 3 motors and an esc already (which I would think others do as well) - the esc will not run brushless - so lots of swapping back n forth for different races

For me I'd rather spend the money on parts and upgrades for my Xray
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I'm all for spec racing, and I might have to eat my words in the future, but right now I would not spend money on a brushless mini. The silvercans though flawed, are inexpensive, generally similiar and easy to run spec with. Unless if tamiya releases their brushless system across the world and make that spec for events, my mini stays silvercan.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Great racing
For me it was a first time and definitely a blast
Sorry didn't help tear down had some family stuff waiting
Thanks to everyone

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.