newbe to rc

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default newbe to rc

Hi All,
So wife bought me a 1/10 scale electric on road car. Already broke one part while trying to put together. thank god for internet and spare parts. Older TB02 chasis but good for a start I guess. So what I need to know is where I can test and race this thing when its done
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

where do you live?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hi

edmonton, alberta canada. So any thoughts on this car. I still see a lot of hop-up parts available.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Googled but didn't find any onroad clubs in Edmonton. Move to calgary, we have 2. LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HEHEHEHE

Very funny. but I would drive to Calgary for events and such. could be fun. would I still be able to race with a tb02 chasis? if there are such events.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Our club, KARZ, has mini/TT01 nights and touring car/12th scale nights. Tell your wife to see what is raced at the local clubs before she buys you a car next time. Remember to check before you buy an offroad car for the summer.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We have a club in Edmonton. Look for the N.A.S.C.A.R thread, as this is the edmonton onroad thread. We race friday nights at the hanger next the aviation museum over by kingsway. We will start racing again in the new year. Keep checking that thread and someone will post when we racing next. Hope you can make it out.

Tim
Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default great

Thanks for the info Mickey. I know this little tb02 will be killed but still will be a lot of fun to learn.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by martyamg
Thanks for the info Mickey. I know this little tb02 will be killed but still will be a lot of fun to learn.
The NASCAR club uses a barbless hook, but once your into RC you'll never get un-hooked. LOL
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The NASCAR club uses a barbless hook, but once your into RC you'll never get un-hooked. LOL
Our club is so good we dont need barbs! lol they a cruel anyways!

Tim
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hop up parts

so I've already ordered a few parts online seeing as I already had to find a cap screw for the dif I put together wrong. So first silly question is about a one-way drive unit for the front. any advantage?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

so I've already ordered a few parts online seeing as I already had to find a cap screw for the dif I put together wrong. So first silly question is about a one-way drive unit for the front. any advantage?
With a front one-way you cannot use brakes, because off power the front wheels just freewheel. When brakes are applied the back end locks up and the car swaps ends.

A front one way usually adds quite a bit off off-power (meaning when you are just coasting) steering. If your driving style is smooth with not a lot of braking, then yes, it could be an advantage; but seeing as how you're just starting, it would cause more frustration then benefit. Just go with a front solid axle and a differential in the rear.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default thanks

Thanks Danny. So now another silly question. You mentioned a solid axle for the front. How would that be achived with this 4wd setup? Just leave the front gears out? I've read that the dif joints are the weakness of this car. I can solve this with aftermarket parts but what about the ball diff ring and the bevel pinion gear. haven't seen any hop-ups on these. Are the EVO III sets any stronger than the ones supplied with the TB02?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Danny. So now another silly question. You mentioned a solid axle for the front. How would that be achived with this 4wd setup? Just leave the front gears out? I've read that the dif joints are the weakness of this car. I can solve this with aftermarket parts but what about the ball diff ring and the bevel pinion gear. haven't seen any hop-ups on these. Are the EVO III sets any stronger than the ones supplied with the TB02?
Honestly, I can't find a reliable spool option anywhere for the TB02. I really don't know what you would have to do to create a solid front end on this car, but I'm sure someone on here could help.

About the diff joints, I don't know the car, so I don't know what does and doesn't break, but if these are the weak points on the car it would be a wise investment.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

For TB02, just leave the front diff alone. They are strong enough, you don't need front spool.

TB02 is one of the stronger car on the market, they are build like a tank

two issues with this car,

like all tamiya car, diff screw is the weak part
also it has limited options for the gearing. I don't remember if the motor mount from the EVO III will fit this car, that will fix the gearing issue