Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule >

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

2010 Alberta RC Pro Series Schedule

Old 01-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

I think the idea of it is great and only the idea.
everyone say that would make it cheaper, in fact it could drive the price of tires up. and this is how.
supply and demand its the having all the differences brands that are keeping the price down.
if all of RC-pro (clubs) had to buy the same tire the price would go up fast.
i would even bet that as soon as one was picked they would raise the price because they know you have too buy them if you want to run in the RC-Pro.
If I got to vote I would hand down say NO WAY.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Allen, if that's the kind of shop you're dealing with, it's time to find a new store to spend your money at. That's just a low move by a hobby shop.

Steve, it's early enough that if we do it for Alberta as a trial, it can still be done. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Not something that has to be spread across RC Pro Canada. Try it here and see how it turns out. Even for just one event it might be worth trying.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Great idea for a 1 off race,but I don't think it will work that well for a series.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tire costs

Just for the fun of it lets get some prices on tires and wheels because we all know that one hobby shops prices are not the same as others. Let us use the ProLine Caliber in an M2 compound and a set of wheels of your choosing. In Red Deer they would cost me $87.00 at one place and $80.00 at the other for one set. Multiply that by 8 (2 sets per race) for 4 races, the number of races in the series, and I will spend between $640 - $696 for tires and wheels in a season. Not sure what the tires and wheels would cost for Deena's truck, but it would be more. How about some prices from others please?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EAT DIRT
Great idea for a 1 off race,but I don't think it will work that well for a series.
Like it's posted already, it works very well for our onroad series? What's the difference? Everybody is still on the same track under the same conditions with the same tire.

Originally Posted by Rayzer
Just for the fun of it lets get some prices on tires and wheels because we all know that one hobby shops prices are not the same as others. Let us use the ProLine Caliber in an M2 compound and a set of wheels of your choosing. In Red Deer they would cost me $87.00 at one place and $80.00 at the other for one set. Multiply that by 8 (2 sets per race) for 4 races, the number of races in the series, and I will spend between $640 - $696 for tires and wheels in a season. Not sure what the tires and wheels would cost for Deena's truck, but it would be more. How about some prices from others please?
If you do all four races, how many sets of tires will you go through anyway? I'm 2 set's an event in buggy. In truggy I ran one set all year. In truggy I know that's not the average though, I know it's higher than that. A lot of the truggy racers will go through 2 set's as well. And no one's saying you have to buy 2 set's for the race. If you think you can get by on one set, go for it.
What this does is bring in a new strategy. Not only do you have to think about pit stops but also how you drive your car. Now you have to roll onto your throttle. Rolling onto your throttle as opposed to jamming the throttle will give less wheel spin, the tires will last longer, and as an added benefit, increase your run times. More run time means you're using less fuel. Less fuel means fewer pit stops. Fewer pit stops means less time in the pits, more time on the track. This also means more track time per race while having better qualifying results and better results for the main.

All in all, I see way more positive than I do negative by doing this.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Before this gets out of control, there will be no spec tires for RCPS Canada. You can talk to me about this at the first RCPS AB race, and I'll explain why there.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

In all due respect Gary, racers have spoken is support of it. To just say no without giving reason? Nothing in depth but something more than no please.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Company Representative

The multiple phone calls about this subject that both Me and steve have recieved, all of them negative in response, is why we won't be doing spec tires. You would be suprised how many ppl will not post on a forum.

And in all due respect, next time someone has an idea, contact Steve or myself before becoming an internet cowboy and creating a hornets nest across canada that I have to deal with.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

This has actually been a good discussion going. I don't think there has been anything said that has been bad or distasteful, and nobody is being a keyboard commando. This topic has come up in the store and 6 of the 7 people I talked to really liked the idea.

It's not going to happen, fine.

Last edited by Scottmisfits; 01-21-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I appreciate your thoughtful and thorough response Gary. Thanks for listing the reasons to why this idea will not work in RCPS.
Come on man, you gotta give us a little bit better explanation at least.
*edit* On the off road RC Canada forum Gary says he has been getting lots of phone calls with negative responses to this idea. Plus the two or three people that responded over there thought it was a bad idea. I guess this could get pretty divisive. The spec tire does work very well in on-road, but it hasn't been tried in off road 1/8th much. Maybe a club needs to test this idea locally first, and I'm hoping that club might be Grande Prairie.

Last edited by WheelNut; 01-21-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gary Fliegel
Before this gets out of control, there will be no spec tires for RCPS Canada. You can talk to me about this at the first RCPS AB race, and I'll explain why there.
If you don't want to talk about here let's take it over to www.offroadrc.ca. Then all of Canada can read about it. Then you don't have to wait for the first race.

Multiple Phone call "ALL" negative. I just don't believe that.
"Internet Cowboy" Your being the cowboy by saying NO so fast. Listen to the racers. If you don't have racers....you don't have a race.

Dave.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary Fliegel
The multiple phone calls about this subject that both Me and steve have recieved, all of them negative in response, is why we won't be doing spec tires. You would be suprised how many ppl will not post on a forum.

And in all due respect, next time someone has an idea, contact Steve or myself before becoming an internet cowboy and creating a hornets nest across canada that I have to deal with.
Thanks for making a decision on this Gary. I saw this thread for the first time today and was worried I was the only one who doesn't like this idea.....lol.

Kane
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Company Representative

Fisrt off brining your own tire won't work. We can't get ppl to sign up for a free RCPS number, and the number one reason is that "I didn't know I needed one". So then we just turn those racers away? Not gonna happen.

So now the clubs need to supply for the races, which is the only proper way to do anything handout or spec. Here's the math, one set of buggy tires is around $70, average 100 racers, 2 sets each, $14000 for one class that the club needs to have on hand to cover the costs of one class. Which club is going to step up and pay that? What happens if it rains and the event gets cancelled? Make racers pre-pay with no refund? Yah thats gonna go over well.

The list goes on and on as to why it won't work. It may work at the Nationals(and I am looking into it), but it won't work for the series as a whole. It works indoors on carpet, same carpet at each venue, guaranteed to race regardless of weather, and a set of tires is $30. Big difference.

Once again, if you have ideas or suggestions send them to a director or email myself with them. [email protected]
Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

how anout one set of tires for the whole season? stock take offs from revos for everybody, doesnt matter what class. cheap too. we can take over ebay and get enough sets for everybody for about $1500.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

In my view I like like the fact that of a spec tire,coming from the fact that I would give racing a try this summer. If I know I need tire # what ever rather than who knows how many tire combination's for different track conditions it helps keep the cost manageable.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 2.60 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.