Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
Grande Prairie On-Road RC Club >

Grande Prairie On-Road RC Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grande Prairie On-Road RC Club

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 1.84 average.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Rules, fees, driver etiquette, and classes TBA.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T493
Ryan, I would suggest a 1/10 4wd Touring Car, because they are raced year-round on road! The 1/12's would be fun on carpet, but can only be used on carpet, so they end up being a little impractical compared to a touring car.

A lot of people are looking for a shaft drive car because it's "less maintenance" but they really aren't! A belt drive car does not require that much maintenance if the belts are set at the right tension. At wonderland, they have a Tamiya TB-03 kit. It's shaft drive and is quite cheap (can't remember the exact price). If you're looking for something belt drive locally, Wonderland also has an HPI Sprint 2 flux. Just get a 13.5 BL motor for it, and you're racing!

Now of course, everyone knew it was coming... the Xray sales pitch. Yes they are rather expensive, but they really are worth every penny! The materials used in the kit are awesome, and the orange...SWEET! Not to mention, you have some decent help with set-up whenever you need it. If it's not in the included set-up book, just come ask me, I should have an answer for ya!

Hope to see ya come out and tear up some RACING carpet with us this winter!!!

Ryan B
Just remember the thread lock
After Ryan remembered that, his car is almost as solid as my tank! ...I mean Yokomo...
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by drperry
Just remember the thread lock
After Ryan remembered that, his car is almost as solid as my tank! ...I mean Yokomo...
Keep in mind, your tank...I mean Yokomo won you a cash prize this year!!!

Well, I haven't lost any screws in a few weeks now, must be a record. I'm thinking about blue thread-locking top deck screws.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Evergreen! Ah, I seem to remember racing there before. That should give us a pretty good bit of space to use. Are we going to have to tear down and setup before and after every race? I should think that we would only have to pack up the track once and a while out there, since when we were using it for the GPMRA we only had to tear down once or twice a year. So, unless they are using that space a lot more now, we might be able to leave things setup. Sunday's too, hmmm, a little competition for the GPMRA! hehe. Sunday is the best day to race though, that's for sure. Plus starting at 11:00am isn't so bad, still late enough to get a decent amount of sleep, thank god. I'd still really like to see you guys push the silver can class and have some rental/loaner cars available for people to try out.

Ryan L- If you wanna try out on-road I've got an extra car you can borrow for a weekend if you want. You just need to provide a receiver and personal transponder. As far as what is the best car to buy, well, there are about a million options. Check out Xray, Losi, Hot Bodies, Associated and Tamiya. They all make some really good cars. Getting a used car is a good way to go too. My 2 cars were both purchased used and they both came with a pile of parts and for a lot less money than the cost of a brand new kit. You could get something like a Xray T2'008 with parts for around $300 pretty easily, which would be a really fast car, and it's better than than the T2'007 I've got.

Last edited by WheelNut; 09-24-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T493
Ryan, I would suggest a 1/10 4wd Touring Car, because they are raced year-round on road! The 1/12's would be fun on carpet, but can only be used on carpet, so they end up being a little impractical compared to a touring car.

A lot of people are looking for a shaft drive car because it's "less maintenance" but they really aren't! A belt drive car does not require that much maintenance if the belts are set at the right tension. At wonderland, they have a Tamiya TB-03 kit. It's shaft drive and is quite cheap (can't remember the exact price). If you're looking for something belt drive locally, Wonderland also has an HPI Sprint 2 flux. Just get a 13.5 BL motor for it, and you're racing!

Now of course, everyone knew it was coming... the Xray sales pitch. Yes they are rather expensive, but they really are worth every penny! The materials used in the kit are awesome, and the orange...SWEET! Not to mention, you have some decent help with set-up whenever you need it. If it's not in the included set-up book, just come ask me, I should have an answer for ya!

Hope to see ya come out and tear up some RACING carpet with us this winter!!!

Ryan B
Ya i've always liked the xray brand so that would prolly be the way to go.... hopefully i can get one this winter and then maybe i could make an aperrance at the track! And ya brad your right about gettting used also i'll search around and see what i can find. And ya maybe ill take you up on your offer and try that car out one of these weekends. They sound like tons of fun!!

Ryan L
Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sand viper
Ya i've always liked the xray brand so that would prolly be the way to go.... hopefully i can get one this winter and then maybe i could make an aperrance at the track! Thanks again ryan.

Ryan L
Ya Ryan, there are several ways to get up an running with an Xray, without putting out a lot of cash. You could get a used 008 like Brad mentioned, or order a T2R Pro. The nice thing with the T2R Pro is you get a brand new car, new belts, plastics, etc. The only issue is that it doesn't come with any spares. A used car car is often a great way to get up and running for the lowest price, and like Brad said, you usually end up with a lot of spares along with the car!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by STOP N' GO; 10-03-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

It's a shame that there's no realy North American parts support for Yokomo... Mine is a great beginner car, lol.

Takes one heck of a beating...

And it won that cash prize with a broken steering knuckle!

Though, if anyone else would've had traction, they'd have won easilly...

Tires are the only reason I won that race
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

It's a shame that there's no realy North American parts support for Yokomo... Mine is a great beginner car, lol.

Takes one heck of a beating...

And it won that cash prize with a broken steering knuckle!

Though, if anyone else would've had traction, they'd have won easilly...

Tires are the only reason I won that race
Ya, you're V grooves were dialed on that pavement!! You even had realistic tire chirping!!!! lolz
Old 09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

I wonder how hot the tires need to get before they start smoking...
56*C isn't hot enough... We know that!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

I wonder how hot the tires need to get before they start smoking...
56*C isn't hot enough... We know that!
Ya, the downtown street race was a lot of fun!!! I don't think anyone has ever had tires over 56*, that's a little toasty!!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Gonna have to try it one of these days... Take the center shaft out, put either one of my 5700s in it, or someone can lend a faster motor, and do a "brake stand"
Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

My Cyclone with the 3.5 was doing 4 wheel burnouts!

Speaking of which is the club still doing a bulk order of Jaco Blue's?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by maniac mechanic
My Cyclone with the 3.5 was doing 4 wheel burnouts!

Speaking of which is the club still doing a bulk order of Jaco Blue's?
Yes Greg, and speaking of which, who all wants a set? I spoke with Korgae about a bulk buy, and he's giving us a deal on them!!! The Jaco blue is going to be our spec tire for the 2009/2010 indoor season, so if you want to run, here's a good chance to save some money!!! Price will depend on how many sets we order!!! I'm down for 2 sets!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Put me down for 1 set for now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 1.84 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.